Products > Other Equipment & Products

Soldering iron for a newbie?

(1/5) > >>

YurkshireLad:
I try to read as many posts and reviews as possible but my brain gets twisted in knots with all the options.

I'm looking for my first soldering iron (or kit?), and I noticed that the TS-100 (Is this the genuine brand? https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01MDTO6X7) is mentioned a lot.

I don't want a USB soldering iron as my laptop's USB ports are already full, so that rules out the TS-80. Nor do I want one that needs maintenance to make it 100% - I'd like to unpack it, plug it in and go.

I need something to do the usual small items, such as AHT10 sensors, prototype boards to try out small, basic circuits and soldering header pins to microcontrollers (e.g. ESP8266 etc). So my needs are fairly basic.

But which is the best option? Should I get the TS-100, or is there a soldering station or kit I should look at instead? Obviously I need to buy solder, something to clean the tip and so forth.

Many thanks

WattsThat:
Soldering irons are like programming languages, there is no one best one. That said, there is zero chance I would spend money on the units mentioned. I really dislike the combined element/tip units, it’s a bad idea. IMO, usb irons are even worse, possibly the worst idea ever since you’ll never get any real heat out of them, they’re a joke since most USB ports are current limiting.

If you think you’re going to stay in the hobby, buy the best iron you can comfortably afford. It also depends on your use cases as well. Not that I use them any more but I have two much older Weller irons with the tips you buy for the desired soldering temperatures, you can still get those tips and those irons are forty years old.

Buy wisely, buy it once, use it for a long time.

Set a budget. Then can you decide.

beanflying:

--- Quote from: YurkshireLad on April 15, 2021, 11:45:13 pm ---..

But which is the best option? Should I get the TS-100, or is there a soldering station or kit I should look at instead? Obviously I need to buy solder, something to clean the tip and so forth.

Many thanks

--- End quote ---

You can do way worse than the TS-100  :-+ Look up Marco Reps on youtube and see what he was using his for. Mine lives in the site bag with a DC-DC (more volts more power) converter and gets run of LiPo's or 12V car batteries in most spots and on the bench I have a 12V supply on the bench so the same converter was used there too before my JBC splurge. Like all soldering irons watch the grounding of the tip in particular if you are running from mains with junk supplies.

ledtester:
The TS-100 is a fine iron. I was fortunate to get it and a bunch of tips for about $80 -- but that was a couple of years ago.

There's a cheaper version of the TS-100 which claims to be compatible with the tips here:

https://pine64.com/product/pinecil-smart-mini-portable-soldering-iron/?v=0446c16e2e66

I use my TS-100 with a Dell laptop power brick which outputs 19V. Being able to use it with a battery pack makes it useful for repairs in the field where you don't have access to power.

--- Quote ---I don't want a USB soldering iron as my laptop's USB ports are already full, so that rules out the TS-80.

--- End quote ---

Usually you plug the TS-80 into a USB-C power adaptor that implements the latest power delivery modes.

YurkshireLad:
I was watching some reviews last night and the Hakko and Weller seem to get good comments. Are they worth looking at?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version