Author Topic: Soldering Station: Hakko FX-100 vs JBC CD-B video  (Read 2082 times)

Offline JulienrlTopic starter

Soldering Station: Hakko FX-100 vs JBC CD-B video
« on: April 25, 2021, 11:26:55 pm »
First off, I know there is another topic titled "Soldering Station: Hakko FX-100 vs JBC CD-B" and I debated just reviving a zombie thread, but I decided to go with a new one after the system gave me a warning about reviving an old thread. So here we are!

Long story short, I have both a Hakko FX-100 and a JBC CD-B on their way, and I would like to make a video comparison of the two as I found that there was a gap on the topic. I wanted to know what people would like to see in a comparison

My specific need for a bigger station relates to working with ground planes (4oz and over 30cm2) and heatsinks, so the most obvious test is for me to do some ground plane wetting and compare the two (and I'll throw in a reference station like a TS100 or something just for kicks). After that, I'm not sure what to do. I have a FLIR for temp measurement (no calibration tool), and watt testing is meaningless when comparing a resistive with an inductive device.... I am by no means a skilled micro-solderer, so I'm out of ideas on what else to test. What would you like to see? Once I test both, I will re-sell one of the two stations, so now is your chance :)

*edit* video is up! https://youtu.be/4k1hE6yikJ0
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 01:07:07 am by Julienrl »

The following users thanked this post: Shock, redg

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
Re: Soldering Station: Hakko FX-100 vs JBC CD-B video
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2021, 06:40:47 pm »
Thanks for starting a new thread, you did the right thing.

I don't think the Hakko FX100s 50W RF power is the top of performance for RF stations. Metcal has an 80W MX5200 model and JBCs old BD 2A charts show it beating the older Metcal MX5000 model.

You also need to consider if you want tweezers and what the tip selection is like. Do they offer rework tips for instance. Hakko has a small tip selection by comparison to JBC, Metcal and Pace and aside from that it's limited to set temp tips of 350/400/450C.
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Offline redg

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2021, 02:28:14 pm »
I'm considering the same JCB and I look forward to the comparison. Do you have a YouTube channel that I should be aware of? :)
Interests: electronics for motorcycles, boats, small aircraft & cinema cameras/sound recorders.

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2021, 01:34:00 am »
I don't want to shill so I'll just wait until I can actually post the video (the fx-100 is being held up), otherwise it's just spamy to post my channel with no actual relevant content to the post. I should have it within 10 days instead of 3 days ago. Time goes by slow when you're waiting on a cool tool! I can say that so far the jbc doesn't break a sweat where my ksger did a poor job.

The following users thanked this post: redg

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2021, 01:06:45 am »

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, gtm

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2021, 08:59:25 pm »
I assume the FX100 tips you are using are 400C right?
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2021, 10:05:33 pm »
Yes, I felt 400c was a good comparison point because when when I'm doing those monster diodes I do pump up the heat a bit, but I'm not a fan of pushing to 500c (which the fx-100 can do)

Offline gtm

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2021, 12:03:40 am »
I would say that those 2 cold joints had nothing to do with the stations. You are supposed to heat both the component and the pad more or less simultaneously, then add solder after both of them are over solder melting temperature. Preferably add the solder to the opposite side of the joint to where the iron tip is, or as far away as possible, so that you know, if the solder doesn't melt, that the component/pad have not yet reached proper temperature. You'll avoid cold joints if you do it like that.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 12:09:18 am by gtm »

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2021, 07:11:59 pm »
Agreed, I should've been applying the solder elsewhere. I was putting some at first to help with heat transfer, but forgot to add more from further away. That being said, I was also trying to test how well heat transfered and was sustained and I don't think the technique error took away from it.

Offline wickated

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2021, 08:49:20 pm »
using chisel tips
@
soldering with a single edge through screwhole in to220.

sorry but no. proper heat pad soldering in attachment

also all this soldering 2 sided pcbs are nothing similar to real life. plz test on 4-8 layered pcb shreded with heat vias. or just copper coins. can your hakko solder five 5 cent euro coins stacked on each other with leadfree solder in 1 minute or less at 350C (real life tech specification) . jbc can.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 03:41:25 pm by wickated »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf