Author Topic: Soldering Station: Hakko FX-100 vs JBC CD-B  (Read 3724 times)

Offline FourT6and2Topic starter

Soldering Station: Hakko FX-100 vs JBC CD-B
« on: September 11, 2018, 11:50:37 pm »
Great forum, lots of cool info!

Just popped in to see if anybody has any thoughts on these two stations? I'm not a beginner to soldering, but I've been using the FX-888D for a few years. I build guitar amps. So the majority of my work can be done with one or two chisel tips from about 1.6mm to 2.5mm or so. Anywhere in that range works. Don't need a bunch of other shapes and sizes to be honest. The ability to adjust temperature is a bonus. But most of the work can be done at around 725 degrees F or so. It's nice to be able to reduce heat when working on sensitive coax so the inner insulation doesn't melt and short the conductor to the shield. But it's also nice to bump the power up when soldering multiple components to one turret.

My budget is around the $500 mark and both of these stations with two tips fit. I don't really "need" a new station. The FX-888D works. But maybe I'm just bored and want to try something new because why not. Oh... wait... I just thought of a justification haha. Calibration. The FX-888D and other irons with a heating element need calibration and that's a pain. It's actually cheaper to buy a new FX-888D than purchase a tip thermometer to calibrate the unit if it goes out.

So it looks like a downside of these stations is that you need to change tips in order to change the temperature? But they heat up faster and maintain temperature under load much better? Already being a Hakko user, I'm leaning toward the FX-100. But I know JBC (and I guess Metcal) are all comparable? Just looking for any info I might be missing on why one might go with one over the other.

This is some of my work so you have an idea what I'm dealing with:

Offline LapTop006

• Supporter
Re: Soldering Station: Hakko FX-100 vs JBC CD-B
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2018, 02:47:57 am »
The Hakko FX-100 & the Metcals are RF based using the curie point which is why you need to change the tips.

The JBC & newer Hakkos (FX-951 type) use an integrated cartridge.

I've not used any of the RF type, but the integrated cartridge type (I've used both JBC & Hakko) are certainly much nicer to use than the older separate tip & heater type.

Although I picked up a cheap clone tip thermometer I've not bothered to calibrate any iron since they've always been within about 20 degrees (centigrade / celsius) of what I set them to.

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2018, 03:34:29 am »
The Hakko FX-100 & the Metcals are RF based using the curie point which is why you need to change the tips.

The JBC & newer Hakkos (FX-951 type) use an integrated cartridge.

Oh! I didn't know they were different, I thought they were all RF/curie point. I ignored the FX-951 because changing tips looks to be more involved (although still not complicated). The JBC looks nice since you can just pop tips in/out quickly. And because the stand looks like it takes sup more space and has an additional wire connection to the station. I like the streamlined stations. I knew the tip/heater is all one unit in a cartridge with the 951. But I just figured it was similar to the FX-100 in how it functioned. So the JBC is temperature adjustable then? The only video I can find showing how it functions only shows three preset temperatures and no ability to actually set a specific temp. Is this the case or no? JBC's website is pretty bad when it comes to details...

Although I picked up a cheap clone tip thermometer I've not bothered to calibrate any iron since they've always been within about 20 degrees (centigrade / celsius) of what I set them to.

With the FX-888D, the interface is simple, but if you hit the wrong button to change the temperature, it will accidentally recalibrate. So you might try to go from 800F to 700F but instead you just reset the calibration and told the unit that what it thinks is 800 is actually 700. So now you're 100 degrees off. Do that more than once and you just lost track of where it's calibrated. To fix that, you need a tip thermometer. But it's cheaper to actually buy a brand new unit! You can also do a factory reset. But you still need to calibrate. If it's off 20C (70F), that's a lot...

Ok, so then my question comes down to RF/curie point (FX-100) vs the integrated tip (JBC)? Is the curie point an old technology?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 03:39:09 am by FourT6and2 »

Offline LapTop006

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2018, 04:09:34 am »
I ignored the FX-951 because changing tips looks to be more involved (although still not complicated). The JBC looks nice since you can just pop tips in/out quickly. And because the stand looks like it takes sup more space and has an additional wire connection to the station. I like the streamlined stations. I knew the tip/heater is all one unit in a cartridge with the 951. But I just figured it was similar to the FX-100 in how it functioned. So the JBC is temperature adjustable then? The only video I can find showing how it functions only shows three preset temperatures and no ability to actually set a specific temp. Is this the case or no? JBC's website is pretty bad when it comes to details...

The JBC is the easiest digital station I've ever used for adjusting (although I guess my Pace desoldering station isn't far off), but with the high thermal capacity on the one at work (a CD model) we just leave it set at 250c (very rarely 300c or 350c) and never bother to change, and I've had no problems with chunky things like heatsinks or mains transformers.

With the FX-888D, the interface is simple, but if you hit the wrong button to change the temperature, it will accidentally recalibrate. So you might try to go from 800F to 700F but instead you just reset the calibration and told the unit that what it thinks is 800 is actually 700. So now you're 100 degrees off. Do that more than once and you just lost track of where it's calibrated. To fix that, you need a tip thermometer. But it's cheaper to actually buy a brand new unit! You can also do a factory reset. But you still need to calibrate. If it's off 20C (70F), that's a lot...
I found the 888D infuritating enough to use when I did try one that I've sworn off that style. I still have an analog FX-888 at home though. The presets on the 888D did seem to work fine however, not quite sure how you're getting what's happening to you.

Ok, so then my question comes down to RF/curie point (FX-100) vs the integrated tip (JBC)? Is the curie point an old technology?

It's older, but both work quite well. *I'm* likely to go JBC for my next iron, but I think you can be happy with either.

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2018, 04:12:16 am »
Cool, thanks!

Offline deadlylover

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2018, 05:02:44 am »
I have them both if you've got any questions in particular.

I much prefer the JBC because I can adjust the temperature (without buying new tips), this is only for hobby level stuff like rework so the temperature flexibility is more useful especially when dealing with really crap quality PCB's that lift pads when you breathe on them.

Here in Australia the JBC tips are only a little more expensive (fx-100 hakko tips are unusually expensive due to rarity), but I think in the states its more like double to triple the price. The JBC tips are known to not be that durable but that's the price you pay for excellent thermal capacity...

I use the JBC 100% of the time, I only got the Hakko because it was for a price you couldn't refuse. I only use it for when I need two irons to desolder PCB mounted heatsinks chopstick-style. ^-^

If I were in the USA, I would look into the new-ish Pace ADS200, it seems like really good value.

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2018, 01:09:11 pm »
FourT6and2 as deadlylover mentioned the Pace ADS200.

It's 120W temp adjustable 177-454C, 350-850F station. All metal construction with a cool running Aluminum iron and doesn't require tip calibration or offsets. It supports micro to high mass tips cartridge tips (0.2mm to 8mm so far) and is accurate to 1C, 2F. Warms up in seconds and is perfect for doing turrets and terminal strips. I recommend the model with the instant setback stand if you are doing intermittent soldering such as preparing to wire turrets. Essentially it's designed to be a production station so while there is a configuration you can't accidentally go into it. 3 buttons to operate up, down and flick through your defined presets so super easy to use. Made in the US as well so it's a little cheaper locally.

Price is $206 or $230 with instant setback stand from tequipment.net using the special eevblog 6% off code and free shipping. Tips are $11 for standard and $13 for ultra performance I'd recommend getting the latter for amp work. Order the station with a tip.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 01:12:52 pm by Shock »
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2018, 03:00:42 pm »
Yeah, here in the USA the FX-100 tips are $17. I'm still on my original tips for my 888D after a few years. So if the FX-100 tips are anything like that, I think $17 every 2-3 years ain't bad! :)

I will definitely look into the Pace unit, thanks!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf