Author Topic: SONY MEU-WX2 connect non SONY monitor with EDID adaptor? DIY EDID data spoof?  (Read 939 times)

Offline solderfunTopic starter

The SONY MEU-WX2 is(was ::)) a professional video color processor and video standard converter/display device.

That was a lot.  :-\

Basically you connect a video source (many inputs like SDI, composite, ...) and get DVI output. This device is usually used as a video display monitor on TV studios.

I want to connect a non SONY monitor to it.  :'(

The monitor needs to provide 1280x768. Which should not be a problem, unless there is no way to make set this resolution.

The device is quite picky and does not accept any monitor. I guess it detects proper display by the EDID standard. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_Display_Identification_Data

There are some adapter boxes like the https://www.extron.com/product/edid101d#features from a professional manufacturer like Extron available.

Has anyone had some success with this approach?

Is there a DIY EDID data spoof box available?

Thanks a lot.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
From reading the last two pages of this thread, I honestly think it’s probably not worth the effort to try:

https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=53953&start=60

It doesn’t seem like anyone has actually cracked the code as to what EDID it’s looking for.

Offline spostma

• Regular Contributor

Offline wraper

• Supporter
If monitor does not support 1280x768 resolution, then EDID hack will not change that. You will get the signal from MEU-WX2 but monitor will display nothing or something like resolution not supported. Check monitor EDID first to see what it actually supports.
EDIT: I guess it's unlikely it supports such resolution in EDID. But I guess you could create custom resolution on PC, disable GPU scaling (otherwise it will just scale on GPU and output native resolution), and see if it actually works.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2023, 11:00:50 am by wraper »

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
From the discussion I linked, it does not appear that copying the EDID data is successful. People have only managed to use other displays by actually connecting the matching Sony display in parallel.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
The problem I've seen with dumping EDID on windows PC, it that only first EDID block is dumped, while there can be two or more. So it might be the issue there.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline wraper

• Supporter
Also there may be an EEPROM on a non standard I2C address for EDID. Like in ATI DVI-HDMI adaptors which enabled HDMI audio over DVI output. They had an EEPROM on DDC lines but with address inputs set high so it does not interfere with EEPROM within a monitor.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline JacobPilsen

• Regular Contributor
Is it really that hard to eavesdrop on IC2 communication?

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
Is it really that hard to eavesdrop on IC2 communication?
Not at all. Reverse-engineering the data you record is the harder part.

Assuming the reports are correct, and off the shelf EDID spoofers don’t work here, it’s simply because Sony is performing communication on the I2C bus that goes beyond what the EDID specification calls for, so the spoofer only spoofs the standard part.

So you’d have to figure out which device is sending what, so that you can replicate the traffic.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf