Author Topic: CFW for KSGER/Quicko STM32 Soldering Stations  (Read 639390 times)

ahmadzaa and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Hemi345

• Contributor
Re: CFW for STM32 OLED Digital Soldering Station with T12 Handle
« Reply #100 on: March 25, 2019, 06:41:03 pm »
Yep, that helps a lot, thank you. I'm no where near my station so I was curious how big those traces were and if they'd be fat enough to supply VCC and Gnd to the controller from the new regulator.  That'll make it easy to connect everything up rather than tack on to the VCC and Gnd at the OLED connection.

Offline Tarloth

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #102 on: May 02, 2019, 01:20:18 am »
Very interesting, congratulations to ptdreamer and other users for do this firmware. Only a question, somebody have the pcb in some file to reproduce it o r knows if the PCB alone it's selled by anyone? I like the idea to use it with a battery or in a car but I prefer to populate the board with quality components. Thanks!

Offline ealex

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #103 on: May 02, 2019, 06:17:39 am »
@Tarloth: i have a schematic for my unit, but it's not compatible with ptdreamer's firmware, I'm still working on a firmware for it but it's low priority now.

I recommend a TS100 - you can power it from the car battery or from a 4S - 5S RC lipo pack. You can find alternative firmware for it that will add some battery undervoltage protection, etc

Offline Hemi345

• Contributor
« Reply #104 on: May 02, 2019, 02:18:51 pm »
My KSGER station with v2.01 firmware has battery cutoff voltage in the menu options.  That controller can be bought separately on Ebay and the like.

Offline petarpera

« Reply #105 on: May 02, 2019, 02:40:02 pm »
All the point is to use JBC soldering tips (thats have much better thermal response). That why I want to find compatible controller for ptdreamer's firmware. Help from anyone?

Offline CapnBry

• Contributor
« Reply #106 on: May 02, 2019, 02:46:29 pm »
Hey guys, can anyone help me to find compatible controller for ptdreamer's firmware?
It is hard to say if any station is compatible with the firmware even if you can see a picture of the board inside. The one you linked doesn't even have that, or any identifying information about it, so I would be doubtful that it does. These devices aren't well documented, often undergo massive changes to the electronics inside while still being released under the same name and version number, and even the photos may not be of what you get. The only advice I can give you is to try to find a listing where the photo of the board in the listing exactly matches ptdreamer's and even then I'd say chances are it might not be compatible.

I sort of put off looking for a replacement controller board for my unit due to how problematic finding a compatible one would be and just went back to using my old soldering station.

Offline dreamcat4

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #107 on: May 02, 2019, 04:26:30 pm »
My impression that if the controller is the same chip type... well then the only differences of the MCUs themselves on the different variants of these boards is just the amount of ram and flash on them. So long as there is enough of each to accomodate the firmware image (and booted / running). Then what else is there?

Well there is the pinouts, which pins are connected up to which parts of the circuits. For example if one board revision wires pins 16,17,18,19 (i am just making that up a fictional example), to the SPI display. Wheras it could be connected up to a different set of pins on a different version of the PCB. Well that sort of a thing should be fixable my modifying the open firmware on github.

Perhaps there is also a bootloader? Is that some separate chip that differs?  But I am not sure that is the case here. Other than that? maybe some parts of the circuit measure different values. Or work slightly differently. Again, we should work to make these other revisions also compatible. Even if it means flashing a slightly different image. The rest of the firmware should be largely the same. Including all the features and algorithms etc.

So really over in the github network there, we should see evidence of this. And look in other forks of the code too by other users. Or outstanding PRs / issues.

Personally I have not looked yet or gotten around to any of this. My v3.0? 'v3.1'? Is still lying in a drawer somewhere.

Not that there is actually a version number printed on it!! :-DD

Offline Tarloth

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #108 on: May 03, 2019, 02:55:01 pm »
HI, I have a Hakko  888d and a 951 original stations with their original handles and original tips. A friend have the TS100 and comparing even to 888d feels like crap. TS100 have not a great heat capacity/control and very poor tip quality. I know that a lot of people love this portable solder but I didn't. Sorry, but I think that the problem it's essentially the poor thermal dissipation at handle and the very poor quality of the tips.

I think that the original handles and tips of JBC or Hakko would be work reasonably good with a DIY base, not like the original station but I presume close.

I can't connect my solder stations directly to a 24 volt DC because both circuits assume for the power section drive AC current. When I work in the field I connect they to a sinusoidal UPS but It's bulky and senseless to convert from 24 volts to 220 volt (in my case) to convert again to 24 volt.

I not know if exist any good brand solder station that can be connected directly to a DC source, but I did invest in the Hakko line and would be fantastic if I can use my tips and handles with a DC station. If somebody did an invest in JBC tips, for sure he prefers to use they and not something else.

I continuously read all the time people in this forum asking for a good quality chinese solder station, but when somebody found something that works, chinese maker change the design, the model or somebody copy the external design lowering the quality and the process to find some that works begins again.

Forums are full of T12/15 DIY solder stations but some work and some are worse than chinese copies or even over design the board and the DIY base cost more than the original JBC or Hakko (a crazy and silly design really). If some design can be tested here, would be nice to recommend to everyone that ask for a solder station. If this person need to reduce the final cost thay can buy a cloned handle with cloned tips and if they prefer something better can buy original handle and tips and, in the future, if he need something better, will buy the original base station only.

With a firmware that works OK for the stm32 line, anybody can adapt it for any other stm32 chip in the future with the same pinout  only changing the constant definitions in the include section of the firmware. With a proven reasonably good PCB with his BOM somebody can have a DIY solder station that really works.

If somebody have the PCB design and BOM that works for this firmware (or knows that some project with an STM32 works), please post the link and may be can be a real and confident solution for other people. Thanks

Offline ricktendoTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #109 on: May 04, 2019, 05:52:16 pm »
One thing I would like to say about this custom firmware, is after flashing the latest by default calibration is off by 100 degrees, and calibration does not help much to close the difference.

I don't know if its the default PID settings and I would not know how to properly use this to better my calibration results

For those asking what board I purchased this unit but it appears to have ended

https://www.ebay.com/itm/110V-220V-OLED-Digital-Soldering-Iron-Station-Finished-Controller-For-T12-Handle-/112639906210?_trksid=p2047675.m43663.l10137&nordt=true&rt=nc&orig_cvip=true

The following users thanked this post: dreamcat4

Offline dreamcat4

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #110 on: May 04, 2019, 07:11:34 pm »
For those asking what board I purchased this unit but it appears to have ended

Then it would really help to take a clear photo of the pcb (front and back). If it differs from the one PTDreamer has in any way. Since unfortunately seeing that auction picture is not enough to know which one they put inside the black box. (hence the term black box is very applicable here - you have to open it up to see !!). Anyhow many thanks for mentioning the 100c difference. That is also something important too.

Offline ricktendoTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #111 on: May 04, 2019, 07:18:05 pm »
Its the EXACT same PCB, but using Hakko T12 ptdreamer uses his with JBC
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 07:38:14 pm by ricktendo »

Offline White_Rabbit

« Reply #112 on: May 09, 2019, 06:37:31 pm »
Hello

I'm new on this forum, and first of all, sorry for my English (if not exceed the threshold :"D)

So... I ordered one of these T12 copies, especially this DXCHMEI junk version...
The firmware is horrible, so dumb, not responsive, the knob every time over or undershoot the value, and forgot many steps if i linear turn a "bunch"...

My STM32 MCU is the F072CBT6
1.3 OLED
Single color, same as the guy before who got help, but i guess his firmware not gonna be okay for me...
So this is my real question; somebody could craft me somehow a firmware what is not make half a second delay for a simple temp adjust ?

Thank's in advance for every help !
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 11:44:04 pm by White_Rabbit »

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113 on: June 12, 2019, 09:39:46 am »
Having just bought a KSGER V2.1S soldering station and finding out how good it is, I'm thinking of designing a PCB that ran PTdreamer's code; so what would be the ideal features?  Let me try to start the list:

- Uses STM32F103 processor (please correct if wrong)
- Uses the same OLED display (or can we find a (cheap) bigger one, perhaps color?)
- Allows use of either the KSGER T12 tips or the JBC tips (can someone describe what this would mean, will they both plug into the same handle, what would be the connector arrangement?)
- Perhaps allow more power by increasing current handling ability and/or increasing supply voltage (please comment)
- Use a switch mode converter for the 3.3V supply so it doesn't get crazy hot
- Need to consider the form factor for the soldering station which would drive the outline of the PCB + where the controls, display, and connectors were; I think a unit that incorporates an iron-holder in some kind of angled station (like JBC) is better than flat on desk like KSGER but what if it were KSGER-style extruded aluminum case with the display end angled up away from the desk surface?
- Should the PSU be integrated or be a separate laptop-style brick?
- insert your own idea here

Right now, I'm in requirements gathering mode but I'm thinking that the design I end up with would be open source.  The first PCBs would be bare boards and intrepid trailblazers could put their own components on in the beta phase.  I could also design a case (or the angled end on a KSGER-style case) for 3D printing, I'm really an electronics designer but it would be dumb not to consider the end design aims.

What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 09:41:51 am by Gandalf_Sr »
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer

Offline dreamcat4

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #114 on: June 12, 2019, 12:06:53 pm »
- Uses STM32F103 processor (please correct if wrong)

Yep. Just be aware that there are different versions of this MCU, I have already explained in a previous post earlier in this thread which one(s).

- Uses the same OLED display (or can we find a (cheap) bigger one, perhaps color?)

It would make sense to initially design around the exact same display, or any other pin-compatible SPI display that is 100% compatible. Perhaps sacrifice an existing board for parts. (which, i am guessing, would require you to buy a 2nd v2.1 unit). But you know: there are always other ways!

Having an option for 2-3 more compatible displays in future would be great / even better. Getting a PCB design that can accommodate multiple types is a nice idea. But not everybody is inclined to go to such lengths. So it is also somewhat of a personal choice too. What is nice is when the person designing the PCB actually bothers to mention the reasoning / rational behind the choice. Because: it lets others know if the reason was region specific parts (they might live in another country, with different supply / prices / access to the part). It also lets others know: if there was some overriding cost based reason why other display(s) are not supported, and not for them to bother researching (because you did the hard work already and here was why). Or alternatively if someone wants to pick up and actually improve your design with an incremental update. Which you did not have the time / resources to do yourself. But is nevertheless welcome / useful / not harmful to the overall product goals (BOM cost, usability, quality, availability, complexity, etc).

- Allows use of either the KSGER T12 tips or the JBC tips (can someone describe what this would mean, will they both plug into the same handle, what would be the connector arrangement?)

Yeah the JBC 6 pin din connector is different, and made of plastic and it has been commented by someone else that it is not the best quality / best possible choice. An assessment which i also agree with. However to loose it means that the user would have to re-wire their JBC handle and solder on a different DIN connector. Which is not ideal assumption (IF that end user also intends to re-use same handle in future on real JBC hardware, or sell it on, etc). OTOH end user might actually want to rewire it with a different (better quality!) connector. Depending on their specific preference. So perhaps the best compromise is to just include suitable pads and holes on the PCB, where an end user can wire their own din plug(s). Whichever common type they need. 1 would be the 6-pin type for the JBC, the other one would be for an official hakko station handle.

Now here is another choice: you might choose to overlap them to occupy the same board space. But I would strongly recommend against that. And perhaps the different pinouts of each style would prohibit that anyhow. (if the pinouts don't match each other well enough to occupy the same space / area).

However a different thinking option might be with some small breakout board that is independently soldered to the main PCB via 0.1 inch headers etc. It is a design decision that also is dependant upon the level of complexity you want, those trade offs. And also the kinds of assembly, case assembly, and even the mechanical strength behind the DIN connector too. For example if the breakaout is situated on another layer directly above the place where you push through the 0.1 inch pins. That can be a simple way to add strength right behind the din plug might be getting some heavy abuse. Or it could be wrong overall choice, if the assembly is more challenging / annoying as a result!

There are best practices in these areas. And hopefully others here can comment better than myself. In the v3.1 pcb i have, there is option for 1 din type (which isnt JBC) AND also just adjacent some type of a breakout pads. Meant for soldering wires then onto the DIN, or off to an independant breakout board (to be screwed onto the front plate). Either way. So that is also another option too.

- Perhaps allow more power by increasing current handling ability and/or increasing supply voltage (please comment)

Not sure myself. Perhaps someone else can answer better. First things first: test the performance of this thing @ 24v. And see how many amps it will draw.

- Use a switch mode converter for the 3.3V supply so it doesn't get crazy hot

My solution was simply going to be glue a decent heatsink onto it. But a proper fix is more than welcome! Actually I have yet to test my approach yet. Have not got around to it. Busy with other things.

- Need to consider the form factor for the soldering station which would drive the outline of the PCB + where the controls, display, and connectors were;

Yeah the v3.1 board (i included photo earlier in this thread so hopefully you can see what I am referring to). Has side breakouts to cover both mounting types (on and off of the front facia). And IMHO that is a useful approach because some people wont have room to mount it all direct as a single piece OR would like to space out the fron panel controls a bit, leaving more gaps, have extra switches or for larger display they want to mount, etc.

IDK, perhaps your choices will be informed by other factors, so some decisions will be made for you due to the other constraints.

I think a unit that incorporates an iron-holder in some kind of angled station (like JBC) is better than flat on desk like KSGER but what if it were KSGER-style extruded aluminum case with the display end angled up away from the desk surface?

I think the main thing for the holder is to get the angle right. So that it is low enough to be ergonomic. If you look at an official JBC stand it is actually fullt adjustable to be as low as you want. Wheras some chinese clone JBC stands / equiplment on aliexpress are just - crap. They have the thing angled way too steep. Which is not comfortable from frequent usage and extended soldering sessions.

And boy are those JBC stands expensive. So yeah! Also just being really good (the stand) is difficult to make well. So you know... it's really something as a separate project (the holder for the handle) than the main controller unit. Would be best to split them up from each other I think. And tackle them one at a time.

AFAIK i am not aware of much considerations for the stand, that would affect the design of the main controller unit. Except for the detection of putting the handle in the cradle. Some switch or whatever they do. IDK how it works. But that seem the only thing to worry about (for ensuring that the main unit will properly support the feature on the cradle). And for it to work well! Not to be jank / or 'crap'/. For example if you were to have assumed and only support the reed switch method, or the mechanical switch method, or visa-versa.

- Should the PSU be integrated or be a separate laptop-style brick?
- insert your own idea here

Personally I am all for separate. And just a decent 24v DC input. That can be wired by decent terminal (not exclusively only by barrel jack). All the way. There are also those nice yellow DC high current plugs. Although again - not to have to assume that as a requirement. Just make it possible / though of.

24 DC input is more flexible. And lets users use for example their bench PSUs if they are in a pinch, or need to re-use the same PSU for multiple jobs. Which is what I am doing here.

That is not to say it's exclusive. Because you can just have a larger box version too, for those who do want an internal PSU. Since you already supported a beefy 2-wire termination aswell, right?

Right now, I'm in requirements gathering mode but I'm thinking that the design I end up with would be open source.  The first PCBs would be bare boards and intrepid trailblazers could put their own components on in the beta phase.

Thank you +++1. You may have at least 1 beta test here in UK then.

I could also design a case (or the angled end on a KSGER-style case) for 3D printing, I'm really an electronics designer but it would be dumb not to consider the end design aims.

What do you guys think?

Its probably worth to research the best value 'standard' aluminium extruded box(es). And have those in mind when designing the PCB. For compatibiltiy reasons. To know that it is compatible with at least whichever 2-3 ones from aliexpress represent the best value / quality. For example like the ones being used by the existing KSGer / 'T12 OLED' stations. They are a kind of a standard size that can be bought for a few dollars on ali express. And OFC there might be even better ones. It's another side thing: more searching / research. No specific recommendations there from me though. IDK which ones, just vaguely remember seeing a few of them. Kind Regards.

The following users thanked this post: Gandalf_Sr

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #115 on: June 12, 2019, 12:36:48 pm »
Wow! That was a lot of feedback!  Give me a while to digest that.

Offline CapnBry

• Contributor
« Reply #116 on: July 10, 2019, 07:54:49 pm »
I finally decided to buy a replacement circuit board to swap out the one I flashed in error. I had been using my old soldering iron and had forgotten how stingy on power it is. You have to turn up the temp quite a bit on the old iron because the temperature sag is really bad-- even the display shows the temperature 5-10C below the setpoint and it is still only pulsing the power at a low duty cycle.

Of course, the version of the new circuit board I bought was the 2018 2.1S, which looks nothing like my 2.1S, nor the version posted on the previous page, and the listing even cautions in the text that it isn't the 2018 version. It has a switching regular to replace the SOT223 linear regulator so that's good, and it has a bunch of unpopulated footprints, IC3, IC4, D3, and I think D4. The CPU is the STM32F103C8 or CB (unclear) but strangely in a QFN package. I desoldered the 5-pin header from the old board and put it on the new one and oops the new board is much longer, integrating a 5-pin header and a 5-pin DIN kinda thing. I had to remove my old iron connector and instead solder directly to the new circuit board.

I'm on the fence as to if I want to try to flash this with the CFW, since I'm not 100% sure what MCUs are supported by that build and would hate to brick another board, even if it only was $22 shipped.

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117 on: July 11, 2019, 01:19:22 am »
OK, I'm ready to start the PCB design by drawing up the schematic, if I start off with the one on PTdreamer's  blog, here, is that a good start?

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #118 on: July 11, 2019, 02:01:34 am »
I put the 2.1S schematic and info in this thread: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/t12-stm32-v2-1s-soldering-station-controller-schematic-etc/
It would be good to keep the same form factor? So it can fit old enclosures. I can contribute to the PCB layout if I know ptdreamer is still supporting the project, that it is not orphaned.

The original STM32 T12 firmware written by ZhongGuoxin in 2014, but it kept getting copied so he added copy protection to it. The STM32 firmware binaries need to be activated to work the first time. It involves the taking your STM32 CPU ID1,ID2 and sending money or email for the two activation keys RG1, RG2. Another trick is to move a pin or two around on the MCU, so clone PCB X will not work with firmware load Y.
So there is a hassle to roll-back to the original firmware load, but it can be worked around.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 07:57:51 pm by floobydust »

The following users thanked this post: cosmin1

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119 on: July 11, 2019, 09:57:55 am »
Thanks, I'm not 100% clear on what you're telling me.  I think it's the following, please comment:
1. PTdreamer's new firmware runs on the KSGER 2.1S hardware that you have reverse-engineered into the linked schematic
2. If I want to go back to the original firmware, it's a process that involves money and keys
3. You recommend keeping the same form factor - I get why you say that but I think that we should consider changing the form factor to a better one that had features not found on the KSGER version - e.g. larger display for old eyes, auto-sleep while in holder - otherwise we may as well just buy the $20 KSGER units.  We can always branch the PTdreamer firmware to adapt to any new features.

I'm interested in anyone's thoughts on the above.

[EDIT] Floobydust, your link didn't work, the correct one is this I think
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 10:16:35 am by Gandalf_Sr »

Offline CapnBry

• Contributor
« Reply #120 on: July 11, 2019, 06:06:54 pm »
The original STM32 T12 firmware written by ZhongGuoxin in 2014, but it kept getting copied so he added copy protection to it. The STM32 firmware binaries need to be activated to work the first time. It involves the taking your STM32 CPU ID1,ID2 and sending money or email for the two activation keys RG1, RG2. Another trick is to move a pin or two around on the MCU, so clone PCB X will not work with firmware load Y.
So there is a hassle to roll-back to the original firmware load, but it can be worked around.
Oh that's interesting. I was wondering where the firmware came from since it doesn't appear to be available anywhere to update or restore from.

I do like the current form factor since that style is so ubiquitous. I was originally going to put together a Unisolder before I bought the KSGER deal but the component count, high cost, and uncertainty that I'd be able to get it together made me shy away. It would be great to have a simpler alternative that would let me hack on the firmware too.

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121 on: July 12, 2019, 03:57:48 am »
Unisolder, I think got too expensive and complicated?
I just don't think soldering irons need to be so hyper-complicated, given what they do. People think 1° accuracy will make them better solderers or something.
KSGER software V2.10 has 20 menus, it can be a selling feature but the software is a bit hilarious. It freaks out sometimes and the beeper sounds like stepping on a cat.

1. PTdreamer's new firmware runs on the KSGER 2.1S hardware that you have reverse-engineered into the linked schematic
2. If I want to go back to the original firmware, it's a process that involves money and keys

I have not tried PT Dreamer's firmware. The last blog update was June/Oct. 2018 and he seems to have reverse-engineered a V1.5 oddball controller board. You would have to change I/O mapping for V2.1S compatibility. PT Dreamer just needs a sample board.
He even sent his source-code to KSGER but that seemed to confuse them, lol.

3. You recommend keeping the same form factor - I get why you say that but I think that we should consider changing the form factor to a better one that had features not found on the KSGER version - e.g. larger display for old eyes, auto-sleep while in holder - otherwise we may as well just buy the $20 KSGER units.  We can always branch the PTdreamer firmware to adapt to any new features.

The form factor - a hardware question...
Open-source soldering stations are mostly 936, T12, JBC compatible. Some use a ESP8266 (cheap processor) and SD card for big LCD display and cute graphics.
I like having something compact on my bench, but the KSGER T12 is silly in that the crappy stand is next to it. You're right, it should be on top.

The following users thanked this post: cosmin1

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122 on: July 16, 2019, 08:53:14 pm »
Hi all, I recently bought a T12 station with this firmware in mind.
It's the Quicko T12, it shows HW version 3.4 and it's totally different.

Original FW is absolute crap, well, at least it works somehow, but it could be much better.
It uses STM32F072C8t6. Flash reading protected, of course!
Very close specs, 64 Flash, 16KB RAM (103 has 20)KB, 1 ADC instead 2 but enough channels...

The schematic is similar, it adds another sensor amp circuit, I guess for handle temperature sensor.

From what I see most is just swapping pins. Ex, SDA1 for SDA2, ADC inputs, few GPIOS.
Theorically, just need to relocate the pins in stm32cubemx, adjust ADC factors, touch some code, mainly swapping peripherals modules, timers, adc, PWM, as the pins in this board use other ones.
And compile! Hah! It's never that easy. I've tried and it messes up everything.

This is the same board:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32963498371.html

Edit: Corrected schematics.
(Click to open in a new window, high resolution)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2020, 07:36:39 pm by DavidAlfa »
Hantek DSO2x1x            Drive        FAQ          DON'T BUY HANTEK! (Aka HALF-MADE)
Stm32 Soldering FW      Forum      Github      Donate

Offline dreamcat4

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #123 on: July 16, 2019, 09:24:32 pm »
the pinout and schematic, everything is different.
I spent this afternoon reverse engineering it, let me know your thoughts!

Perhaps you can share the actual schematic file you are working on. Instead of just an image of it? This would then help to make a base for the other board variants.

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #124 on: July 16, 2019, 10:00:18 pm »
the pinout and schematic, everything is different.
I spent this afternoon reverse engineering it, let me know your thoughts!

Perhaps you can share the actual schematic file you are working on. Instead of just an image of it? This would then help to make a base for the other board variants.
Of course, here it goes. Done in proteus 8.8 (Way faster and easier for me than in Orcad or Altium!)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 11:26:09 pm by DavidAlfa »
Hantek DSO2x1x            Drive        FAQ          DON'T BUY HANTEK! (Aka HALF-MADE)
Stm32 Soldering FW      Forum      Github      Donate

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf