Author Topic: barely used Quickoo T12-945 died during heavy soldering  (Read 392 times)

Offline abgx1Topic starter

• Contributor
barely used Quickoo T12-945 died during heavy soldering
« on: April 18, 2024, 08:55:23 pm »
Hi,

My Quickoo T12-945 died after like its 5th use :D I was soldering a grounding point to a metal plate... I was doing that for about 2 minutes at 380°C until the whole metal plate was hot enough.

However, after this heroic fight, the soldering station died. 24V is coming to the PCB from my external power supply, and I don’t see anything burned on the PCB.

What do you suggest I do now? Should I buy a new soldering iron, maybe a KSGER? Or try to repair this one (how?)?

Dead Quickoo

Heavy soldering which I was working on...

Offline Phil1977

• Regular Contributor
Re: barely used Quickoo T12-945 died during heavy soldering
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2024, 06:19:58 am »
Most of these low-price solder stations do not really have a good solder quality inside themselves and inside their plugs.

After exchanging the tip with the heater inside, I´d check out all stranded wire connectors, e.g. the metall plug of the iron itself. Just check with a multimeter (no CAT rating needed  :P ) the heater resistance. It should be somewhere between 6-10 Ohm, if it´s much higher it´s broken.

If you open up the handle of the iron you often find an illegal mercury tilt switch. Just FYI.

Offline elektryk

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2024, 10:44:38 am »
First thing that you can check is MCU supply, another one is mosfet (but with burned mosfet display still should work).

Offline Phil1977

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2024, 12:08:20 pm »
Indeed, the display should light up without any solder iron connection.

Did you check if the 24V arrive at the PCB? Then, as said, check the supply from there up to the MCU. Maybe some voltage regulator has burned while the FET was creating some heat...

Should be easy to encircle the point of failure.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf