Author Topic: CFW for KSGER/Quicko STM32 Soldering Stations  (Read 643206 times)

Vital and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline AndyC

• Contributor
Re: CFW for STM32 OLED Digital Soldering Station with T12 Handle
« Reply #950 on: April 11, 2021, 07:03:01 am »
was the one you got a 5 pin or a 7 pin version? the one you linked to is 7 pin.
7 pin

The adjustment is really simple. You have the 3 steps (250C,350C,450C) and the ADC setpoint.
This doesn't adjust the temperature, you set the ADC value you want.
For each step, adjust slowly until you get it close to the target temp.
Interesting, this is sort of how I used the debug screen. I'll test the v1.10 and report back.

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #951 on: April 11, 2021, 01:12:16 pm »
I forgot to check for system errors in the calibration process  :-/O
So you could ex. calibrate with no iron, or bad NTC...
Now any detected error won't let you start the calibration.
Also abort it if already in the process.

Anyways I see that calibration doesn't work very well below 350°C, once you go below internal 250°C (internal = setpoint-ambient temp).
Something related to ambient temp compensation.
I think it's fixed (in my test code, not released yet).

But I'm having an issue with temperature stability.
With the same ADC levels, I can get up to 20°C difference.
I suspect the problem comes from the handle temperature itself, as that's where the NTC should be to read the temperature of the cold junction.
Since it's on the board itself, that could be the cause.

I don't know if it's the handle (there was a bit of corrosion), the tips, the temperature probe or something wrong with my amplifier.

Edit: Definitely, heating or cooling the handle connector makes a difference. That's a limitation of not having the NTC in the handle.
Edit2: The probe was about to break or already broken. Moved it slighly and the two wires came apart.
I'd say it's Ok. Give it a try (Uploading)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 04:29:59 pm by DavidAlfa »
Hantek DSO2x1x            Drive        FAQ          DON'T BUY HANTEK! (Aka HALF-MADE)
Stm32 Soldering FW      Forum      Github      Donate

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #952 on: April 11, 2021, 10:36:16 pm »
After a LOT of testing, yes, definitely the issue is caused by the handle heating up.
I blowed hot and cold air over the T12 connector, it would drift the temperature up to 30ºC!

Fixed an -oops- that would overwrite the tip calibration with the test calibration.
Also added soft screen diming when going into sleep or waking up partially (Just rotating the encoder).
Updated operating manual to show latest changes.

All seems correct, everything updated.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 12:38:24 am by DavidAlfa »
Hantek DSO2x1x            Drive        FAQ          DON'T BUY HANTEK! (Aka HALF-MADE)

Offline Tugo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #953 on: April 13, 2021, 04:32:15 pm »
Especially DavidAlfa who contributed to this firmware (and also PTDREAMER who started this), DREAMCAT4 for making beautiful all round information (mainly on github and also who managed to gathered all the infos :-) ) and also others who helped (with circuits, pictures, new ideas,...) THANK YOU VERY MUCH for all the hard work!

After reading this topic for the past month or so and I decided to order a fresh STM32 T12 v2.1s controller, a couple of STM32F103's and a ST-Link V2.

At the end of 2015 I bought BAKON 950D and had it a few years (it is still working) after that I bought a STM32 v2.1s controller (I believe from the end of 2018 2017) and made my self a "KSGER" version (case and controller is from KSGER, power supply is a 24V 4-6A version which was better than what KSGER was selling and cheaper and proper wiring which KSGER and others didn't do that time - I don't know if this even changed).
Also I own  A LOOOOOOOT of different T12 soldering tips which I bought over the last 6 years or so. I would say I own about 20 different tips but normally I use just 3-5 of them regularly (normally D series) and about 5-7 just from time to time (DL52, ILS, BC...).

This message is just to let David know that there are some of us who don't have an option yet to help you by sending you a lot of different values of the tips so that you can make things even better.
I hope to get everything soon so that I can test and let you know my findings, so please don't leave us ;-)
After I get all the parts to program a new STM32 I will let you know and you will tell me if you will need any particular tip.

THANK YOU AGAIN!

Best regards to all.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 04:46:15 pm by Tugo »

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #954 on: April 13, 2021, 06:37:13 pm »
Thanks!  :D
Yeah, some calibration results would start to get the project in a more user friendly state, hopefully not requiring calibration by default.
I don't have such of a problem, usually I don't get my tips red hot because the calibration is wrong.
I'm fine with the firmware. Most of the development was just to make it nicer for the people.
Most pople tried, touched a lot of things, didn't read the thread, complained and ran away.
Maybe they expect everything to work like a professional controller that has been tested ina lot of conditions and having more resources.
In my case, all KSGER support was done almost blindly. And I only have few tips and my Quicko.
Thankfully  there are few guys still testing it, I must thanks to them! :-+

By the way, I've been checking the PID. I don't have a lot of experience with those algortithms, but I've been suspecting it was wrong since a long time ago.
I've been testing Phil's implementation, and what a difference. I'm finding the apropiate values, but it's a lot smoother and stable.
Github

« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 06:43:23 pm by DavidAlfa »

Offline Tugo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #955 on: April 16, 2021, 11:28:32 am »
David,

I watched the video you linked it and I also watched the video from the same guy about PIDs and I saw you implemented it in your new version.
Also I installed STM32CUBEIDE to start learning a little bit and I checked your code in PID.

Here are a few questions or thoughts that I came by while watching your code because I don't understand some parts (at the moment I was just trying to understand PIDs):
1.) You defined 'lastTime' in 'calculatePID' but never changed it (I believe I am missing something). You did use it when calculating timeStep but it was never changed (or maybe it is changed somewhere else?).

2.) You never used pid.lastTime. Do you need pid.lastTime somewhere else? Maybe you don't need this at all.

3.) This is a sum of number 1 and 2: In case I understand it correctly I would change it from this (your first 3 line of code in calculatedPID):
   static uint32_t lastTime=0;
   float timeStep = ((float)HAL_GetTick()-lastTime)/1000;
   pid.lastTime = HAL_GetTick();

To this (in case you need pid.lastTime):
   uint32_t newTime= HAL_GetTick();
   float timeStep = ((float)newtime-pid.lastTime)/1000;
   pid.lastTime = newTime;

Or to this (in case you don't need pid.lastTime):
   static uint32_t lastTime=0;
   uint32_t newTime= HAL_GetTick();
   float timeStep = ((float)HAL_GetTick()-lastTime)/1000;
   lastTime = newTime;

Maybe number 1 and number 2 are just something you forgot to upload and you already changed on your computer.
As I already wrote, I hope you will tell me what am I missing just to know a little bit better.

Keep up the good work!

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #956 on: April 17, 2021, 01:12:38 pm »
Haha wait, did you saw the commit notes? "Alpha"!
Yes, that was a typo because the old pid code used single variables, while the new Code has a nice struct.
All that is fixed now.
I dropped it for the old one, it was too sensitive.
The main issue was the I term having a really high number.
I don't know why it had a such high value, I think a dividider was lost in the code.
I've been working hard on it yesterday, changed a lot of things in the widgets to save a lot of RAM and keep compatibility with 10KB devices.
The widgets halved the memory usage! 1.7KB RAM free now.
I also found few bugs and fixed them, currently testing, seems to be ok so I'll update the code soon.

Then your may ask :-DD
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 01:15:59 pm by DavidAlfa »

Offline Tugo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #957 on: April 17, 2021, 03:57:37 pm »
Haha wait, did you saw the commit notes? "Alpha"!
Hmmmmmm........... no.  |O
I did now  :-+

I dropped it for the old one, it was too sensitive.
I've been working hard on it yesterday, changed a lot of things in the widgets to save a lot of RAM and keep compatibility with 10KB devices.
The widgets halved the memory usage! 1.7KB RAM free now.
I also found few bugs and fixed them, currently testing, seems to be ok so I'll update the code soon.
I hope to get everything from China soon so that I can test everything, but I don't expect it before May.

Then your may ask :-DD
Is it then now?  :P

What was wrong with the PID code from Phil that was problematic? Was something wrong with I (regarding dt maybe)?

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #958 on: April 17, 2021, 05:39:10 pm »
Code and builds updated!
Now there's plenty of memory left, I added new adustable options:

- PID MaxI (Max integrator value).
- PID MinI (Min integrator value).

These clamps the limits for the integrator. Too much will cause over and undershoot. Too low and it won't compensate enough.
I've spend a whole day trying to reach these values.
The big problem is thay you might get good values for 400ºC, but then get oscillation at 260.
Or get good regulation at 260, but doesn't reach 400ºC. It's a lot of work. I hope they work ok in most cases!

At least for me, with the worst tip I have, it works really really nice.

- IRON Max temp
- IRON Min temp

These just set the max/min values for the main screen setpoint.
Also fixed the setpoint widget to be always centered when it has only 2 digits.

Now there's still 1.5KB RAM and 4KB Flash free.  Feel free to suggest new options!
Always remember the main target of the project: stock controllers. No crazy addons.
These cheap pcbs are a pain in the ass to modify and will get damage without any effort.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 05:54:12 pm by DavidAlfa »

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #959 on: April 17, 2021, 05:41:24 pm »
Is it then now?  :P
What was wrong with the PID code from Phil that was problematic? Was something wrong with I (regarding dt maybe)?
Now, yes  :D.
I tried for a while, but all I got was oscillation or too low gain.
The code is still there, you only have to comment the "OLD" section and enable the "NEW" one. The comments state these sections clearly.

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #960 on: April 17, 2021, 06:21:45 pm »
This is how it does now.
It's a little less responsive, but because some tips have low thermal conductivity, the heater would heat or cool too fast and make the PID to oscillate.
It gets fast close to the setpoint, but last few degrees are reached more smoothly.
This is a pretty bad tip that would jump back and forth.
The heat transfer is so bad that it reads 300°C under water!

« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 06:26:40 pm by DavidAlfa »

Offline Tugo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #961 on: April 18, 2021, 10:46:49 am »
It looks great in video.
I didn't have time to check the code yet, but I intend to do so.
Also thank you for an explanation.

I was thinking about over and undershoot:
Information on the screen is information from the sensor inside the tip and not the temperature that needs to come to the outside of tip.
In case you have (and I believe you do have) temperature meter you can check how will temperature be on the outside of tip compared to sensor inside the tip.
And you can do 2 tests: with the current code and with code from Phil.
This is something I wish to know and will do myself when I get all of my things (if you will not have time) but would answer those questions above.
Did you ever test it like that yourself so that you would have any knowledge about it?

EDIT: I forgot to ask you about the voltage inside your soldering station. Is it really set to 25.2V? Is that correct? I have mine set to 24V but since iron tips have more than 8 ohms the tips don't put 72W as they should. That is why 25V would be even better. I read some place that somebody even had more voltage on the tips so that the tips would put about 100W on the start. I don't know if this would even kill T12 tips sooner, but I don't have any tip that would die. I had bad contacts and I had to repair 1 tip, but it is working now. Funny thing is that it is a genuine Hakko tip.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 10:51:28 am by Tugo »

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #962 on: April 18, 2021, 11:28:32 am »
I did put 30v on these tips, making around 110w, they will overheat the internal wires and melt the nylon connector.
The tips can't transfer so much power and will oscillate a lot.
Yes, some power supplies are 25V due the internal resistor feedback slighly different.

The tip needs about 10 seconds to reach the internal temperature.
It really depends a lot on the tip.
Some transfer the heat much better than others, so you never know.
So better to keep it like this and not play with overshooting.
Of course, you can do that: just increase the PID Imax.
As I said, the Phil's code was too sensitive, I couldn't adjust it to get stable. Maybe I'll give another try in the future.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 08:55:05 pm by DavidAlfa »

Offline mastershake

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #963 on: April 18, 2021, 07:03:28 pm »
ive been away (had to go in for a surgery) ill get on testing more when i get home. only one place in florida that do the surgery i needed and i had to stay for the whole week min. i think i have a variety of some 30+ different model t12 and 4 or 5 styles of 245 tips some t12 genuine some aftermarket but the ones i have been buying so far are working great. i finally can see enough today to use the laptop so im checking on some things ive missed the past week or so.

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #964 on: April 18, 2021, 08:53:37 pm »
I hope everything went smoothly!  :-+
Where did you buy the tips?

Offline wickated

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #965 on: April 19, 2021, 04:25:17 pm »
Hello everyone.
First of all, thanks for awesome work!
second one - about PID and adc work - on my chinese tips everytnig work fine, but on genuine tips when temp drops enough to start heating, it starts heating with temp spike drops ~ 20c below actual. i guess i should somehow set proper PWM and adc delay timer to withstand this.
also - could it be possible to add standy+sleep mode ? im bad at programming, so i cant do it manually. also i like how sleep mode is not disturbed by hadle shaking on stock stm32.
and finally - what about bypassing pid at all? many cheap stations dont use pid and work stable, pid as it is is a must for powerful jbc tips with delayed temp control, cuz u have to drop power before reaching work temps to avoid overshoot.

https://youtu.be/39_Vgb5UuUI
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 04:29:33 pm by wickated »

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #966 on: April 19, 2021, 07:33:02 pm »
Did you change any settings? Is the tip new?
What firmware? What board?
I hope you read the thread before asking!
Sleep was removed long time ago, why such thing when it heats in 6 seconds? Sleep is just "off".
Not planning to remove PID by any means.
It's the opposite: JBC tips have much better heat transfer, the temperature will not jump so much when removing or adding power.
T12 will jump a lot. The cheap controllers simply fake the reading.
You set 350, they show 350, but the tip might be going up and down between 370 and 330.

A way to bypass PID is to set I and D terms to 0, and high P .
It will jump more than a pan making popcorn.

The temp drop is a known problem with genuine Hakkos.
It's been discussed, and that's why the default delay is 20mS.
You can try increasing it.
Also some ksgers are known to have very noisy power supplies, causing a lot of issues.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 07:41:34 pm by DavidAlfa »

Offline wickated

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #967 on: April 19, 2021, 08:10:41 pm »
any setting. vid is captured on stock pid on 3 days ago build(currently too lazy to go to shop to buy pins for swd)
board is some of the newest 2.1 ksger with dc-dc and ldo. replaced it to work with 30v supply. stock OA was 8551, now AD8605, draws same thing, but at least now i believe in its numbers.
about heat transfer - im using W tips, they have more copper, and also thinned plating, so end of tip works very fast.
p>9000 i0 d0 is still pid. i understand what u mean - when heater reaches set temp, tip end needs to be heated a bit more, so pid is adding some power after reaching set temp to maintain heat transfer to tip end. setting only P pid will hold temp a bit below set temp, but without overshooting.
heating up is 6 secs is cool, but heating from 20 to 350 instead of 250 to 350 i guess should shorten tip life. also 250-350 jump needs only 2 sec wich negates any difference in jbc-t12

p.s. rechecked adc delay - it all works good if set to 50+1% of pwm cycle., so i just shorted pwm cycles to acceptable ticking tip noises. no overshooting now. i guess its connected with heat capacity, not heat transfer - my genuine tips are thin , while fake are heavy.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 08:42:50 pm by wickated »

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #968 on: April 19, 2021, 10:28:11 pm »
I didn't understand anything :D
Explain using  the terms that are on the firmware.
There isn't pwm % anywhere.
I repeat asking the firmware version?  It's clearly in the settings, sw version.
The last version is not in releases, but in the Boards folder.
Last one seems to be the most stable.
When you flash a different version, ensure to make a full reset to reset all stored data.
The best would be some pictures showing your settings.

So you are worrried about tip life, but running them at 145% the rated power...?
I tried that, the tips quickly loose their abilility to transfer the heat, after some weeks the temperature started to jump and the tip died.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 10:40:00 pm by DavidAlfa »

Offline wickated

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #969 on: April 20, 2021, 05:54:53 pm »
>>Explain using  the terms that are on the firmware.
>>There isn't pwm % anywhere.
As i guess heating cycle is pwm-temp reading-pwm-pid
and pwm timer in menu sets lentgh of all cycle
adc delay means only time break in pwm cycle and in menu u shift from cycle begining so pid get info after some more heating is done, but calculates power shift based on temp read in middle of cycle.
example:
pwm cycle set to 50ms (100%)
adc delay set to 15ms (30% of pwm setting)
14 ms heating - temp measure break- 35 ms heating, pid calculation for next cycle
settings, idle, boiling tea:

example 2:
pwm cycle set to 50 ms (100%)
adc delay set to 26ms (52%)
25ms heating - temp measure break - 24 ms heating , pid calculation for next cycle
settings, idle, boiling tea:

So i dont get spikes now, pid dumps most power when needed, and doesnt overheat.

>>I repeat asking the firmware version?  It's clearly in the settings, sw version.

>>When you flash a different version, ensure to make a full reset to reset all stored data.
i have no eeprom installed and flash erased before flashing

>>So you are worrried about tip life, but running them at 145% the rated power...?
it`s  9 ohm nichrome heater, it last forever on 4 amps. im using vapes where 0,5mm 1 ohm nichrome heaters suffer 30 amps for years.

>>I tried that, the tips quickly loose their abilility to transfer the heat, after some weeks the temperature started to jump and the tip died.
thats caused by microarcs on loose tip clamps because 30v is enough to arc through air. u must spotweld or at least solder tip end clamps. no problems on genuine tips - they are spotwelded, chinese are only clamped.

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #970 on: April 20, 2021, 06:17:03 pm »
Sorry, I can't help if you touch settings that have been adjusted for a reason after a lot of testing.
Leave 200mS pwm, try 50mS delay.
Otherwise, if you touch everything, don't complain.

Please read my answers throughly.
I repeat, 1.10 is old and superseed by the current version inside the Boards folder.
Also read the readme and the operation manual.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 09:47:40 pm by DavidAlfa »

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #971 on: April 21, 2021, 02:35:52 pm »
Little update:

Added shake wake option. This sets if the shake input will exit sleeping state.
During run mode, shake input will always reset the run timer and prevent it from entering sleep mode.

Little fix in the main screen, where the station would wake after exiting tip selection widget or returning from the menu.
Now it only will wake up if a click is done in the "SLEEP" screen.

I will delete the releases, since it's giving more trouble than benefit.
Back to git version only.

Offline wickated

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #972 on: April 21, 2021, 04:31:01 pm »
Added shake wake option. This sets if the shake input will exit sleeping state.
Huge thanks!

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #973 on: April 21, 2021, 05:56:47 pm »
Binaries updated! As always, inside BOARDS folder.

Huge thanks!
No problem! I consider every reasonable request!  :-+
How are these readings going?

Offline hanzz

• Contributor
« Reply #974 on: April 21, 2021, 06:04:43 pm »
Thank you very much for this great Firmware David!

Is it possible to have the actual Tip Temperature insteat of the Word "Sleep" when the Station is in Sleep mode?
Or the Tip Temp else where on the Screen in Sleep mode?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf