Author Topic: CFW for KSGER/Quicko STM32 Soldering Stations  (Read 643452 times)

Offline Tugo

• Regular Contributor
Re: CFW for STM32 OLED Digital Soldering Station with T12 Handle
« Reply #1000 on: May 03, 2021, 02:55:15 pm »
David, good luck with a surgery!  :-+

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1001 on: May 03, 2021, 03:12:07 pm »
Thanks! It's been a long-awaited surgery, I hopefully will get my normal life back   :-+.
Anyways, I can use my phone, so remember I'll keep watching!  :popcorn:
Hantek DSO2x1x            Drive        FAQ          DON'T BUY HANTEK! (Aka HALF-MADE)
Stm32 Soldering FW      Forum      Github      Donate

Offline Il_Marco

• Contributor
« Reply #1002 on: May 03, 2021, 03:39:08 pm »
Good luck DavidAlfa,  see you soon here at work! :)

Offline wickated

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1003 on: May 04, 2021, 10:45:47 am »
About the features, I've thinking on such menu for a long time, but as the current firmware is using almost all the flash in 64KB devices, It'll be no easy.
I might end making a v2 firmware for 128KB devices only.

My Quicko has a 120w supply, the voltage ripples a lot with such loads, but everything works (goes down to 19V or so).
I'm currently at the hospital for a surgery, so there won't be firmware updates for at least 2...3...4 weeks. It all depends on how it goes, wish me luck! ;)
afaik all stms have 128kb, but not tested so u can push 128kb firmware with no guarantee of stable work.
quicko power supply have very low input capacity (40uf or 80). changed it to 150 and it works much better.
good luck! and take care of health, u know i cant just write new firmware for your body  :-BROKE

p.s. noticed firmware is designed for warm countries only. switched my station on today morning and it beeped till temp rised to 20c

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1004 on: May 04, 2021, 10:51:25 am »
Most* do have 128, but i've seen a few with only 64.
No idea if they were genuine or counterfeit.
What temperature?
It shouldn't complain unless the ambient reading is less than -60°C. Was it the "NTC low" error?
Hantek DSO2x1x            Drive        FAQ          DON'T BUY HANTEK! (Aka HALF-MADE)

Offline Il_Marco

• Contributor
« Reply #1005 on: May 04, 2021, 06:15:40 pm »
Some interesting update from my soldering station.
I added 1Meg pullup resistor between TC input and 3,3V rail. Now everything is working fine as far as NO_IRON detection is concerned. With no IRON connected to the station this 1Meg resistor take 3,3V to the OP-Amp input saturatung it and letting the firmware detecting NO IRON is plugged.
This same 1Meg resistor seems to not affect in any way the station when you plug an Iron, whether T12 or C245. With T12 jumpered as expected from TC to HEATER you still has NO_IRON when no TIP is inserted, while inserting a tip just start the PWM as it is supposed to do. Same with  C245, NO_IRON with no TIP and normal working inserting one (without any resistor in C245 GX connector).
Calibrated temperatures don't seem to be affected by this 1Meg resistor but still I have to take some precise and objective measurements.

Let's now talk about C245 and my 72W power supply. Actually my PSU is not a Quicko but a Ksger and has two 1000uF capacitors on its output. Lowering the station power doesn't help much in my case and at the end I let it set at 80W both for T12 and C245. But I found a way to be able to use my PSU with C245, even if temperature rising is obviously not as short as 3 or 5 second of a JBC station. Experimenting a bit,  this is what I noticed. Setting the station to a high temperature,  like 450°C and Power-on setting on RUN is the worst situation. When you power on the station it keeps restating,  no way until you power it off, unplug the tip (or the cable) and power it on again.
Setting the station to a low temperature before powering it on can make C245 work. Not much current request right from the start let it power on as it should. Then you can rise the temperature up to 450°C with no problem. Just be aware (and I don't mind at all) that from cold to 450°C takes about 25 seconds.
NOW the real news about this issue. If you set the station to always start on sleep mode, even with 450°C previously set,  when you push the encoder to exit from sleep everything works FINE, NO STATION RESTARTS, even starting from a cold C245 TIP (same 25 seconds to get to 450°C).
Conclusion is that maybe many issues of such kind could be solved even with the station set on Power-on RUN mode by letting it go through a little "sleep time" before starting PWM output.

Just one last note, if I manually set the station on sleep, when I insert a TIP it automatically exits from standby. I don't know if I like it. I think manual sleep should override every other automatic run mode. Manual sleep only exit by manual Run. At least for C245 handles that doesn't have a shake switch to care about. Two way of changing tips.
1 - Manual sleep, change tip, manual Run
2 - Station running, extract tip, insert new one and automatic run.

Always long posts from me, sorry :)

Attached my new 1Meg Mod (in R11 place with a white wire to 3,3V).

« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 10:58:02 pm by Il_Marco »

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1006 on: May 05, 2021, 09:00:32 am »
Yes that also works. I think I tried with 10M and it worked well, too.

Offline wickated

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1007 on: May 05, 2021, 03:11:43 pm »
huge thanks for 1m res mod. made same way today and now happy with jbc tips :-+

Offline mastershake

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1008 on: May 05, 2021, 04:38:00 pm »
ill have to try this for the 245 tips. does this work for the ksger 3.0+ boards as well i see it on the older boards here. thanks

Offline nanolab

« Reply #1009 on: May 06, 2021, 05:21:12 pm »
There is a problem, before this was not. The station works well, but there is a ticking sound and a green LED is blinking on the control board.
KSGER T12 STM32 V3.1S

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1010 on: May 06, 2021, 05:40:37 pm »
It's normal, that's the active iron detection.
It was wrong before and wouldn't work perfectly.
The noise you hear is a very short pulse checking the presence of the load.
I might add an option in the future to disable active iron detection for boards that have a pullup resistor in the amplifier.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 05:47:47 pm by DavidAlfa »

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1011 on: May 09, 2021, 01:56:04 pm »
Well, I got better and I was sent back to home for a few days.
The surgery was postponed until Friday, so I had a some time to spend into the project.

Changelog:

- New icons. Increased size slightly as there was plenty of room. The shake icon is now drawn in the top center.
- Increased screen dimming timeout to 15 seconds. 5s was a too fast and usually annoying.
- "HOT!" warning in sleep mode if the tip reading is >120ºC.
- Ignore No Iron error when the station was already in sleep mode, so the tips can be changed without waking up (If Shake wake option is enabled, it will wake up anyway).
- Added Active detection option, so PWM can be shut down completely when in sleep mode. Iron detection will only work if the op-amp has the ~1M pullup resistor!
- Removed PID menu, added Tip full settings menu (PID values and specific calibration values). It can be accessed by long-clicking when in Tip selection or in Edit tips menu.
- I don't remember if I already mentioned this. When editing a widget, small step is normal rotation, big step rotation-while-click.
- Updated Quicko schematic, minor corrections.

As always, builds updated in their respective folders.

There are two minor aesthetic bugs that I noticed too late, when I already had updated the builds.
- The shake icon might overlap momentary if it was active and the system goes into sleep mode.
- Ignoring the iron detection error while in sleep now causes the "HOT" warning to appear when removing the tip.

Also I forgot to hide "Shake wake" option when set in Stand mode. It had no effect in that mode.
They will be fixed in the future.

Remember that Calibration Menu values are not the same as the ones in Tip Settings menu:
- Tip Settings calibration values are the tip-specific, already temperature-compensated values, generated by the calibration process, and used when reading the tip in normal operation. Normally, you can safely set or restore this value from a previous calibration.
- Calibration Menu Adjustment values are the default value used when calibrating. Has nothing to do with the stored individual tip calibration, their purpose is to be somewhat fail-safe. So if the specific stored values are wrong, you won't burn the tip.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 10:38:20 pm by DavidAlfa »

Offline wickated

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1012 on: May 09, 2021, 09:34:03 pm »
- Added Active detection option, so PWM can be shut down completely when in sleep mode. Iron detection will only work if the op-amp has the ~1M pullup resistor!
- added Tip full settings menu (PID values and specific calibration values). It can be accessed by long-clicking when in Tip selection or in Edit tips menu.
wow, amazing! no ticking while in sleep  :=\
and individual tip adjustment is great also. cuz we already have "profile" from menu with global adc calibration, and now its finally usefull to have minor tip calibration.

works like a charm on jbc c245 with pwm cycle 22/2 delay. it is BIG FAST. 1ms delay is a bit noisy. i guess more speed could only be achieved if going AC with dual drivered fets, but not necessary - speed of copper heat conduction is already achieved. only thing i should worry now with jbc tips is getting rid of ac voltage on tip.

p.s. maybe small fix - set default screen brightness like 127 instead of full to avoid burning by default.

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1013 on: May 09, 2021, 09:57:06 pm »
One thing is adding new options or features, other is personal likes.
You only have to do it once, takes 10 seconds, so just set the brightness yourself. Not all OLEDs have the same brightness.
For example, my last OLED is pretty dim even at max. You must think globally, not for you.

Individual calibration has been always there. The only difference is before it was an internal-only ajustment not accessable by the user.
It's is not meant for manual calibration, only to restore a known value from previous calibration. Otherwise you might get a red hot surprise...
"Profile" is just what it means, a different "slot" in memory with its own iron and tip settings.
I don't get what you mean with global calibration, there's no such thing. The only "global" thing is the default value at calibration time.
The calibration result is always stored per tip.

The noise is related to the power supply, and it will get worse with higher loads.
If you're overloading the power supply with 3x the rated power... guessed it?
The capacitors / tranformer will make this noise as there's a sudden and quick discharge.
If I set it to less 50mS, it also becomes a lot more noisy. That's exactly why 5Hz is used by default.
That's the best noise / performance spot. 5Hz is fast enough for the PID to react, while the noise is barely there.
Again, 22/2 are your settings, so you're at your own if any issues happen. The noise will be more audible as you rise the PWM frequency.
You should have heard the factory Quicko Fw running at 1KHz... even the tip was buzzing :-DD
« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 10:24:58 pm by DavidAlfa »

Offline wickated

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1014 on: May 09, 2021, 10:21:07 pm »
And the noise is related to your power supply, also you're overloading the power supply with 3x the rated power.

"Profile" is just what it means, a different "slot" in memory with its own iron and tip settings.
I don't get what you mean with global calibration, there's no such thing. The only "global" thing is the default value at calibration time. But the calibration is always stored per tip.
i use meanwell 150w psu. it doesnt overload even on cold start. but have big bunch of X Y caps.

by "profile" i mean selection in settings menu, where 3 profiles are - t12, 210 and 245. they store all settings like wake/shake/etc AND adc values too. this makes it more viable then individual tip selection. i would eventually prefer tip selector as plain temp compensation value (like +10c/-15c etc).

p.s. ive seen 1 solder station which had possibilty of using different type of solder irons and it had built-in resistor in handle connector to detect type of iron connected and preload profiles. is it possible to make something like this on actual stm boards with usage of shake switch wire or its stm32 pin is digital only?

p.p.s. even in last month your firmware got very much updates and now looks far superior to and competitors customs and factory ones, by now im really happy and greatly appreciate your work.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 10:29:29 pm by wickated »

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1015 on: May 09, 2021, 10:29:07 pm »
I already mentioned that long time ago. But the wake pin is digital only.
ºC adjustment will never be done. Because we have different hardware. Some boards will have higher amp gains that others.
Even same boards will have slight differences. So you never know what ADC change corresponds to 1ºC.
I repeat you should't adjust it that way, use calibration for that, it's more precise.
I get 4ºC max error between 180-450ºC.

Also I will change the Tip name editing from the Tip setting itself.
As you seen in the top of the menu.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 10:40:03 pm by DavidAlfa »

Offline wickated

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1016 on: May 09, 2021, 10:42:54 pm »
oh i get it.
i ask about this things because eventually in genuine products u dont have any "individual" calibration at all. all the thingys are tied deep in firmware so operator/user shouldnt ever think about this because manufacturer already did all the "calibration" work. this is the way high-end products should be done. and that chinese bells and whistles are not.

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1017 on: May 10, 2021, 01:45:53 am »
Want a professional-like high end calibration, testing and research?
Remember the resources I work with. I don't have a 100m2 workshop full of equipment.
I'm not going to spend any money to make people over internet happy. I already spent a lot of time on this. I'm a human after all, and I have a life.
And the hardware capabilities of a cheap T12 is not even remotely close to a professional station. So don't make such ridiculous comparisons. There are a lot of limitations.

Little more work, fixed these small cosmetic bugs.

- Now the tip name is edited from the tip setting edit menu itself (First menu item, clicking over the tip name).
- The Edit Tips menu no longer uses long-press feature, just simple click to enter the settings for the selected tip.
- The main menu tip selection keeps the long press to edit.
- Added tip name checking to avoid adding a tip with a name that already exists.
- After returning from the menu, always go back to temperature display (instead returning to the tip selection again).
- Hide shake wake option in stand mode.
- Lowered the default T12 450ºC calibration value, as it was too high for some boards.

Binaries updated. I think I'm almost done with it.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 02:48:36 pm by DavidAlfa »

The following users thanked this post: Tugo

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1018 on: May 10, 2021, 02:40:25 pm »
More work in the encoder button debounce. It still did some unwanted actions from time to time.
I used a different approach now, I think it's completely fixed now. Some optimizations here and there.

Edit: I checked all the other ksgers boards. It seems that all v3.x / v2.x are compatible with the existing v3.1 and v2.1 profiles.

Only the original v1.5 was different and needed a new profile, so I made a new profile for it.

Now I would say that all controllers are supported. I don't have the hardware, so status is yet unconfirmed.
Any feedback will be welcomed!

Update the documentation to reflect the latest features.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 05:53:56 pm by DavidAlfa »

Offline Il_Marco

• Contributor
« Reply #1019 on: May 12, 2021, 08:44:50 am »
Thank you once again DavidAlfa,  grat work!
Really thank you for spending your time in this project. I haven't tried last update but I hope to do it next weekend. I think this station with your firmware will be my definitive solder station.
And again, Good Luck for next Friday!

Offline StephenR0

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1020 on: May 12, 2021, 05:45:18 pm »
So, I'd like to get a T12 soldering station that runs this firmware.

For background, I've been soldering for many years.  I built my first kit in high school, a Heathkit vacuum tube voltmeter.   :)  But, I'm really a software guy to be honest.  I've had a Weller WES50 for many years, but I'm sure these new devices can be much better.  I've been looking at the Quickos.  It looks like the one to get is this one because it calls out the STM32 specifically.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32994824865.html

But, they seem to be using a compatible CKS microcontroller because they can't get real STM32s.  Is the compatible one ok or should I wait for a real STM32?  Or should I consider something else?  I really want to be compatible with DavidAlfa's firmware.  Thanks.

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1021 on: May 12, 2021, 06:02:50 pm »
Cks should be compatible, however I don't have any for testing.
In the worst case you'll have to replace it when the production resumes.

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1022 on: May 13, 2021, 12:47:42 am »
What's up guys? Last update for at least some weeks.

I received the black aluminium handle. Very nice and comfortable! Nice buy for 10eur. The mercury switch works a lot better.
Then I modded my Quicko to put the NTC inside the handle. After that, I noticed a lot of noise in the ambient temperature reading, +-5ºC jumps.
When I checked the signal with the oscilloscope, I saw that the was a 200mV drop in the gnd wires.
So I simplified the ADC, now everything is sampled at once after the ADC delay (When PWM is off). NTC reading is perfect now.
I should have done that long time ago, since that was designed when the delays where a lot lower.
After all the research the delay was increased to 20mS, so +100uS for the ADC conversion is perfectly fine.
The latest optimizations did so great! There's still ram for at least 9 more options while keeping compatibility with 10KB RAM devices.
So think something to spend that free memory!  :-+

I feel sad for a russian user who wanted to contribute by adding standby mode.
He made a pull request when I already had most of the code working, with only a few bugs left before releasing!

- Added adjustable Low Voltage Protection. Allows 9.0-24.0V limit. I don't recommend going below 12V, specially if running a JBC tip, you mosfet might heat up more than the tip itself!
- Standby mode is back!. Added standby timeout and temperature options.
- Enhanced stand mode. New option for selecting idle mode. So the handle goes into sleep or idle state when going into the stand.
  The timeout is still applied, so if the handle is left for a long time, the system will go into idle and sleep mode anyways.
- The encoder works as usual. Click and rotate anti-clockwise to enter idle modes. First time will enter standby, second time will go into sleep mode. Also in stand mode.
- Boot mode option is only displayed and used in shake modes. For stand mode, the first WAKE reading at boot time will be used to determine the starting mode.

However, my new tips are doing terrible. ANything over 390ºC will cause them to go crazy. I had to increase delay to 50mS!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 01:38:15 am by DavidAlfa »

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1023 on: May 13, 2021, 11:57:58 am »
Don't update yet, something's wrong with the ADC!
Edit2: almost OK. While changing the PWM still can cause a crash. Not a serious problem, it won't burn your tip, and it doesn't happen when running.
I'll check that when I get back. I have 2 hours left!

There was a long-time bug I noticed just now because adding another check.
Saving settings to the flash takes a while, so the interrupts would overlap some times. Moved that part outside of the interrupt.
Also the ADC was being stopped incorrectly. If DMA had finished, HAL would wait for a long time, just waiting for it to finish? Why?
Gave some extra timing room for the ADC to ensure PWM never turns on while converting.
With these changes, now the reading are a LOT smoother. At least in my case.

The delay does a lot better now. These nasty spikes don't appear so often. Now I can run 5 mS perfectly fine with my T12.
However, remember that a too small delay might cause a reading offset because the signal didn't settle completely.
You can try to calibrate anyways, then ensure that the real temp doesn't drift too much in the whole range.

EMA is still required, the raw readings have ~5-20ºC noise.

Now the PID seems to be smoother too. More aggressive settings can be set without causing trouble.
These are my last values. Seem to work great with big and little tips.

Kp: 80
Ki: 45
Kd: 30
Imax: 0.60
Imin: 0.00
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 02:01:05 pm by DavidAlfa »

Offline wickated

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1024 on: May 13, 2021, 03:22:14 pm »
Huge thanks again! You do update so fast i cant even flash them same often.
so ny question is - i start freshly flashed, select profile, then go to manual calibration, set adc points with 100s step. then i go to tip calibration and set them with 1 step. is this correct way?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf