Author Topic: CFW for KSGER/Quicko STM32 Soldering Stations  (Read 658261 times)

Offline wickated

• Frequent Contributor
Re: CFW for STM32 OLED Digital Soldering Station with T12 Handle
« Reply #1150 on: June 25, 2021, 03:12:01 am »
you never asked but i did  it  :-DD :-DD :-DD

except this works fine, but with high default kI oscilates power(but temp doesnt oscilate) at full load with 4 filter and doesnt with 2

edit - error appears at full stock settings too
« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 04:35:22 am by wickated »

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1151 on: June 25, 2021, 08:40:18 am »
I made these for T12.
So you'll have to tweak it for other tips (Not going to buy them).
Filtering affects a lot the PID response. Since it's a C245, the PID gain can be a lot lower. Ex. Set Kp 60, Ki 30.
T12s need more punch to compensate changes, JBC doesn't.

Never seen that error, and it's almost impossible to happen, but will try to find out.
Also debugging is very difficult since I don't have them :palm:

Explain a bit better when and how it happens
« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 08:51:42 am by DavidAlfa »
Hantek DSO2x1x            Drive        FAQ          DON'T BUY HANTEK! (Aka HALF-MADE)
Stm32 Soldering FW      Forum      Github      Donate

Offline MWP

• Contributor
« Reply #1152 on: June 25, 2021, 09:16:47 am »
Say I wanted to make my own front-end for one of these, so I just needed the power / switching / iron interface side, is there something I could buy?
Or would I be better off just making something from scratch?

Offline wickated

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1153 on: June 25, 2021, 10:37:17 am »
I made these for T12.

Never seen that error, and it's almost impossible to happen, but will try to find out.
Also debugging is very difficult since I don't have them :palm:

Explain a bit better when and how it happens
got it.
ill test tomorrow, cuz i have some solder tasks today

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1154 on: June 25, 2021, 11:13:13 am »
That's a good video.

So, when I flashed the latest version, I took the opportunity to test the backup of the original Quicko software that I made from the instructions here.

https://github.com/JohannesObermaier/f103-analysis/tree/master/d1-a/arm-cks32f

It appeared to work just fine, but I didn't actually try to use it other than go through the menus some.  Now this method depends on having a CKS processor.  But it does seem to allow backing up the original firmware.  Just be aware that you have to edit the addresses in the program to copy the right parts.  The original Quicko firmware is bigger than 64K.
Nice! Could you attach the original fw? This will avoid some headaches to Quicko users  :-+
Hantek DSO2x1x            Drive        FAQ          DON'T BUY HANTEK! (Aka HALF-MADE)

Offline StephenR0

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1155 on: June 25, 2021, 03:23:59 pm »
I would think it's copyrighted.  I don't really want to get into any trouble.  And the backing up process isn't really that difficult.

Offline Tugo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1156 on: June 25, 2021, 03:48:50 pm »
David,
Great work, but I still have a lot of problems.
Because of your new version I found a couple of things I hope will know where they are because I still didn't have enough time to understand a lot of things.

When I left everything by default I get a major problem in lower temperatures and I have pretty much no problems above 400C so it is a step into a right direction.
What I found out: it is noticeable on very low temperatures but you can also see the same problem on higher, but not as much so I will explain how is on a temperature of 180C (if you want it is the same on 270C which I use the most). When you start soldering iron temperature is going to 180C. When soldeing station is going to get to that 180C it stop heating (power is set to 0) but temperature is shown as about 230 C. it is then cooling down so that it gets to 180C. When it gets to below 180C it shows about 130C and start heating (power to 100).
The same thing is when I set 270C but variable temperature is around 20-30C (between 240 to 300).
I was searching in your code to see where that could happen but I am not there yet and I hope you will know what I am talking about and know where to look for the problem.

Above 400C it works as it should. Stable temperature, pretty stable output power (PWM) and I REALLLLLLYYYYY like it! You are on the right path to the goal!  :-+
I tested even on 450C and it is rock stable.

If you know where could be a problem you can also let me know where to look at so that I wouldn't search in the wrong places that could also helped me.

What I also was thinking is if there could be a problem in IOC file since you are working on higher frequency and if that could be a problem? I have F103CB so I could set frequency to 72MHz but I don't know what will change if I change that and I didn't change anything. I also thought of using Quicko settings and set correct pins + output for buzzer and NTC but I don't know if there is anything else I should do. Maybe I should use Quicko IOC and CORE for Ksger and just correct pins (that it would be for Ksger). Would that work or am I missing anything?

I really really really like what I saw on 400C  ;) :-+ :-+ :-+

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1157 on: June 25, 2021, 03:54:43 pm »
Did you calibrate correctly? By default the values are veeery low, the PID is too agressive for managing very low temps and very low power. ( Mine barely hits 260 at 450°C setpoint).
Also the T12 can't measure below 90-100°C so if your calibration is wrong weird things will happen.
I have seen that behaviour on said conditions, and it's normal because it's not set up correctly.
Anyways, when it starts oscillating, lower the PID.
I can't magically make it working for a controller I don't have!
Was this problem on the latest firmware?
Otherwise, don't ask for issues happening in older builds!

My controller works perfectly fine, I've used it for the whole morning (5+ hours non-stop) with perfect results.
At this stage, with such weird issues happening only on (v2.1 ?) boards, I can barely do anything, because it needs deep debugging on affected hardware.
Consider crowdfunding to buy a ksger 2.1 controller so I can properly develop for it.

Otherwise, to me it's blindly guessing what it could be.
I will check the ioc files to ensure the peripherals, interrupts, etc, are set correctly.

Tugo, is your's a v2.1?  No problem trying 72MHz -once-.
But I can't manually maintain and build 3 Ksger boards and 3 mcu versions each, every time!
I ran my quicko at only 8MHz, and it did perfectly fine! Only had increase the ADC time to 1000uS instead 350 due the much slower clock.
I guess the display DMA helps a lot. But the display works completely smooth, even the temp graph, everything! Only the scrolling was a little less responsive.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 06:32:40 pm by DavidAlfa »

Offline Tugo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1158 on: June 25, 2021, 04:19:40 pm »
I didn't calibrate it, I just put older 3 values and checked it with temperature tester (FG 100 or something like that) so it is not a problem with calibration.
I used latest version (DL-ed today).

Oscillating ok... but why do I have a 20 -40C drop on temperature as I described? I don't think they are from PID, calibrate, I believe they are from SW interpretation (reading + correcting).
I understand everything else you said. Remember what you said about Ksger when I told you they are reading inside 5 ms and now you are reading inside 0.1ms  ;)
I see a lot of things about what is wrong I just hope you will read where it could be. That is something I hope I will prove to you that you will hear me  :'(
Just point me to a function where it might happen... it is happening when detecting temperature over set temperature (when heating) and detecting lower temperature when cooling down.

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1159 on: June 25, 2021, 05:34:31 pm »
There's no function that detects higher/lower temp. After each PWM cycle, the adc reads, and the new values are passed to the PID.
The PID receives new reading, setpoint and gives back the new PWM value. Internally it holds some data based on last values.
PID can cause that and much more with wrong settings, did you figure out how it works? What do proportional, integrator and derivative mean?
Nothing changed on the SW in the dectection/processing. But PID values changed, ADC samples much faster now.

As you said, the delay time changed in last release. If you suspect of too low delay, then why you don't go ahead and try changing the delay yourself?
Is the menu there just for showing? Are you expecting me to try it on a hardware I don't have?

I thought it was a nice idea to port the firmware for other boards, but it has become a nightmare.
When you come here and check for new updates, behind that there are a lot of hours debugging, testing, changing, reverting, searching the source of the problems.
It's already time consuming when I can debug the hardware, but for something that you can't touch, can't see, it's like find a needle in a haystack unless the problem is very clear.
Most developers will directly refuse to develop for something they can't touch of that. And this time-consuming way needs to stop.

Sadly, support for any hardware else than Quicko will be discontinued soon. I will try to find the issues, but I won't promise anything.

I'm gonna set something clear:
- No more stupid suggestion and "maybes" if you don't know how it works.
- When I say no more stupid advices, I mean no more "But JBC does this", "But KSGER blah". Stop losing my time ok?
- There are nice guys that really help and properly report issues. You rock.

- There are others that only cause annoyance with "I want", "It would be better", "Why don't we?". Go to the candy store. This doesn't apply for all suggestions, some have been really good.
   Want faster sampling? Because JBC does? Unless you start programming, debugging, measuring waves with the scope and working on the real thing yourself to help in this project, save your ideas.

Timing needs to go back to 10ms+. This is why we choose 20mS delay months ago

- When you measure too quickly, the TC is always hotter than the tip body.
- This is not a problem if there's always some power. Until you reach the setpoint.
- When the power is gone, the TC will cool down to the real tip temperature.
- That takes -You guessed?- around 5-10mS, and if you don't respect the timing, the next adc reading reports 10...20ºC less and the PID goes crazy high.
- The next power stroke reads the extra heat on the TC, not the real temp. PID goes kicks back reducing power. And everything happens again.
- JBC and others use ac, so it's a sine wave, when it reaches zero the power has been decreased being slowly for the last 5mS, so there's no sudden power removal like with PWM. Thats helps a lot.
- And that's why PWM drive requires more time.
- Some tips do much better than others. Some will do great with 200uS delay with some, while others need 20mS (Specially genuine Hakko tips)
- If you want it better, faster -That's why you have a customizable menu-. Tweak yourself, but if it goes wrong don't come complaining. If it works for you, nice, but I'm not going to put risky settings for everyone.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2021, 01:00:02 am by DavidAlfa »

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1160 on: June 25, 2021, 09:55:15 pm »
Tired...  :=\
Code updated, new builds... default settings now 100mS / 10mS.

This is why T12s can't use low delays (JBC can do much better).
While the first 2mS seem stable and flat, if you zoom out you'll see  that it slowly goes down and really settles after 10mS. That small drift becomes 14ºC after measuring.
With 20mS or faster PWM you'll hardly notice this.
So no more discussion about timings! Could it be better? Maybe, it highly depends on the tip. But this will be the safe, default value. I might revert to 20mS if any issues appear.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 10:31:34 pm by DavidAlfa »

Offline StephenR0

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1161 on: June 25, 2021, 10:10:50 pm »
So, I just flashed your latest version.  When I powered it up, I reset everything as you've suggested before.  But I am seeing something that I haven't seen before.  Every now and then I get a very quick message that says Error 88 Voltage Low.  The readout in the upper left shows 24.5V.  But this message is very quick and hard to read.  For that split second, the voltage might be something else.  It's really hard to say.  Do you think this is the firmware or have I developed another problem?  Thanks.

BTW, there's no emergency here.  Please, take your time and get some rest if you need to.  :)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 10:29:28 pm by StephenR0 »

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1162 on: June 25, 2021, 10:44:03 pm »
Yesterday I saw that very same error few times, no idea why or where it came from, back then I thought it was something related to the setup: Lots of wires attached, scope probes, programmer, maybe some noise coming into the ADC... didn't happen again since.

Now, if you're having it too..clearly there's something. I suspect the calibration values have something to do here, maybe when they are too close... or too low...or not calibrated...
Try few things:
- I guess it happened right after a fresh setup. Does it still happens if you turn it off and on? I spent a lot of time fighting strange bugs happening only after first boot, fixed by magic after rebooting.
- Does still happen if you go to tip settings and you just click save, without modifying anything?
- If the errors still happen, rise the default calibration values, to ex. 1200, 1500, 1800. Does the error go away?
- If you go into calibration, Adjust... do you get the abort message while adjusting the values?

I'm trying to isolate it, but it's very sneaky!  :-/O
« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 10:48:50 pm by DavidAlfa »

Offline StephenR0

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1163 on: June 25, 2021, 10:55:15 pm »
Yes, this happened the first time after flashing, after a full reset.  I will go through the steps that you mentioned and let you know what I find.  Thanks.

----------
So, I turned it on again and never saw the message again.  Of course, I have no idea why that would be, but you might.  :)  I watched it for several minutes to see if it would come back, but it didn't.  Interesting.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 11:12:20 pm by StephenR0 »

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1164 on: June 25, 2021, 11:24:09 pm »
Definitely, seems first-boot related.
Everytime I made a factory reset it happened, but gone after rebooting, without modifying anything. Well, it's a nice thing!
That means it's only something not being properly loaded after the first reset, when the profile is initialized and loaded on top of the failsafe values.
Will catch it for sure!  :popcorn:

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1165 on: June 26, 2021, 12:51:11 am »
I think I spotted a sneaky setting causing trouble in the pwm settings.
I've resetted it at least 20 times... No errors.

In the end I reverted to 200mS PWM.
New builds uploaded.
Killed 3 of my 4 tips... the only tip left is the one that got damaged in the water, so I can't accurately check the PID settings.

ksger 2.1 can be modded easily to use hardware i2c dma: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/stm32-oled-digital-soldering-station-for-t12-handle/msg3319738/#msg3319738
After that, only few changes need to be done in the firmware. The eeprom can be ignored. The fix pins are the same in 64 and 48 pin devices.
I anyone is willing to try, let me know.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2021, 04:16:21 am by DavidAlfa »

Offline wickated

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1166 on: June 26, 2021, 05:48:48 am »
ksger 2.1 can be modded easily to use hardware i2c dma: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/stm32-oled-digital-soldering-station-for-t12-handle/msg3319738/#msg3319738
After that, only few changes need to be done in the firmware. The eeprom can be ignored. The fix pins are the same in 64 and 48 pin devices.
I anyone is willing to try, let me know.
since no eeprom is onboard its just trace display on i2c bus used by eeeprom?

Offline Tugo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1167 on: June 26, 2021, 08:33:57 am »
David, what is green line on the oscilloscope?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2021, 09:18:14 am by Tugo »

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1168 on: June 26, 2021, 10:16:49 am »
Test Signal, ADC sampling

Offline Tugo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1169 on: June 26, 2021, 10:30:38 am »
I thought so...
I am trying to understand your code but I don't have a lot of time (I have it partially and it is giving me hard time to undertand quicker).
So you are always reading ADC after (PWM is done + ADC delay is done), yes? And not for example 350 us before you start PWM again (at the end of each cycle)?

Offline StephenR0

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1170 on: June 26, 2021, 02:17:17 pm »
So, to close the loop on this, I haven't seen any more of those messages with the latest version of the firmware.  I think it's good, but I'll certainly mention it if I see anything like that again.  Thanks.

The following users thanked this post: DavidAlfa

Offline wickated

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1171 on: June 26, 2021, 05:08:55 pm »
another bug found - since i purchased some chinese 245 tips for test, i found they use t12 type TC, so i have to recalibrate tips.
1) main profile is 245, added new tip
2) selected tip
3) since difference in adc output is huge - like 1000+, i made preadjust
4) adjust start
5) new adc values written to all tips instead of one selected :-+

swapped screen to eeprom bus but since im dumb and never gonna compile working binaries im asking for help
also got 110 line error again. on default settings. just running temp up and down soldering.
edit - while just watching waiting noticed that on stand iron waked up accidentally. took more time watching and got ntc error. so took a further look and found damaged trace on board. seems fixed by now.  :palm:
edit 2 - no its not, but i got idea - its somehow connected with ntc.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2021, 07:03:19 pm by wickated »

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1172 on: June 26, 2021, 07:20:07 pm »
I cannot debug ksger boards, so it's a dead end.
If you're modifying PWM timings, you already know my answer.
Not really NTC related, but ADC wrong values. Maybe something is too slow on these boards, I don't know.
Will check the calibration bug
« Last Edit: June 26, 2021, 07:22:40 pm by DavidAlfa »

Offline wickated

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1173 on: June 26, 2021, 08:30:50 pm »
I cannot debug ksger boards, so it's a dead end.
If you're modifying PWM timings, you already know my answer.
Not really NTC related, but ADC wrong values. Maybe something is too slow on these boards, I don't know.
Will check the calibration bug
previous builds(may) work good. tested on full stock pwm, overshoots more than 100c.

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1174 on: June 27, 2021, 12:18:50 am »
I think I was already clear enough - I won't do any more work on these boards.
If default PID doesn't work, well, bad luck, tweak yourself. I won't make 50 tries until you get a good one. You can do the same.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf