Author Topic: CFW for KSGER/Quicko STM32 Soldering Stations  (Read 643669 times)

Offline Tugo

• Regular Contributor
Re: CFW for STM32 OLED Digital Soldering Station with T12 Handle
« Reply #1375 on: July 21, 2021, 05:03:06 am »
mastershake I am keeping my fingers crossed that everything will be better from now on about your eyes.
Just take your time and don't hurry. You have only 1 pair of eyes.
Good luck!

The following users thanked this post: mastershake

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1376 on: July 21, 2021, 07:33:24 am »
Forget about testing, recover the best you can!  :-+
Hantek DSO2x1x            Drive        FAQ          DON'T BUY HANTEK! (Aka HALF-MADE)
Stm32 Soldering FW      Forum      Github      Donate

Offline TheInvisible

« Reply #1377 on: July 21, 2021, 04:31:30 pm »
Hi guys,

I flashed the latest (Jul 7) .bin to my Quicko T12 station with a STM32F072C8 MCU. Everythings seemed to be fine, beside ...the iron won't heat up. The bar graph is at full scale deflection but there are no PWM pulses at the iron connector. Older builds worked like a charm.

What I've done so far:
  • read the last pages of this thread
  • played around with the menu options
  • checked older builds, (Jul 4, ok; Jul 6, not ok, no heat up)
  • compiled the project on my own (also not ok)./li]
Hmm, did i miss something or is there something wrong with the latest builds? What should i do next?

Offline mastershake

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1378 on: July 21, 2021, 05:27:09 pm »
a few of you messaged asking which display i used to change it over to white here is the link. these work nearly perfect. they are just a tiny bit taller but if you carefully bend the header pins before soldering them in you can raise it up a teeny bit and then it will still fit in the aluminum case where the window is. for the ksger 3.1 they are plug and play just solder and go. hope this helps someone out.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32903968632.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.73824c4dN3l7ws

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1379 on: July 21, 2021, 05:27:23 pm »
Hmm, did i miss something or is there something wrong with the latest builds? What should i do next?
Very bad, you should have read the 56 pages in this thread!! (Just joking) :-DD

Let me check it. Since I upgraded my Quicko to a 103, I no longer can test that build.
Thanks for reporting the issue  :-+

Edit: I missed that Quicko uses alternative PWM pin config,  so after the adc conversion, enabling the pwm pin wasn't loading the alt pin cfg. Fixed.
Also commited the stand mode detection test. Wake is read after adc conversion to have a clean reading, avoiding switching noises.
For normal "shake" mode, the pin is read normally at 1KHz sample rate.

Try the latest Quicko F072 build!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 06:08:44 pm by DavidAlfa »
Hantek DSO2x1x            Drive        FAQ          DON'T BUY HANTEK! (Aka HALF-MADE)

The following users thanked this post: TheInvisible

Offline TheInvisible

« Reply #1380 on: July 21, 2021, 06:23:09 pm »
Try the latest Quicko F072 build!

Hi David,

wow, what an incredible fast response time :-+ I did a quick check of your latest build. And yeees, it heats up! More testings tomorrow.

Thank you very much, Sir!

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1381 on: July 21, 2021, 09:19:02 pm »
Great! :-+

Offline wickated

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1382 on: July 22, 2021, 07:51:48 am »
bought one more controller same type i had (2.1s v3.3.). have stm32 onboard. so i ll have to install mods on it and wait for 210 handle. i also have some time to select big 2" screen

Offline bobbydazzler

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1383 on: July 27, 2021, 04:08:01 am »
I just opened up my new 2.1s ksger and there appears to b e a 78l08(U6) voltage regulator feeding the ams1117 3.3v regulator. 
1239784-0

Doesn't this mean that the 78l08 would need to be dissipating 1.6w if it was stepping down the voltage from 24v?  The ams1117 would be dissipating less than 0.5w so it would be fine but the 78l08 must be well over 100c, even 125c.  The most I ever got out of a dpak voltage regulator was 1.9w before thermally throttling(heaps of copper wire to heatsink the heat away too).

Offline ricktendoTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Re: CFW for KSGER/Quicko STM32 Soldering Stations
« Reply #1384 on: July 27, 2021, 05:22:38 pm »
I just found out about the new firmware by David today on YouTube, did not know that it had forked and improved so much :o

Anyways I updated the initial post with a link to devidAlfa's GitHub and posted a couple related videos

If you guys would like me edit my initial post with more quick links to relevant fw/iron mods in the initial post, PM me these links and I will add them

The following users thanked this post: SteveyG, DavidAlfa

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1385 on: July 27, 2021, 07:24:59 pm »
Cool review, but I feel he could have tweaked it further!
At least my last D52 is pretty strong, I could solder 4mm2 wires into a battery pack without issues. I also threw away the rohs solder and got good old 60/40.
That solder melted at 235ºC, making the work much harder, not really a problem when assemblying, but when repairing, specially when trying to remove a multi-pin package.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 12:57:48 am by DavidAlfa »

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1386 on: July 27, 2021, 07:30:26 pm »
I just opened up my new 2.1s ksger and there appears to b e a 78l08(U6) voltage regulator feeding the ams1117 3.3v regulator. 
(Attachment Link)

Doesn't this mean that the 78l08 would need to be dissipating 1.6w if it was stepping down the voltage from 24v?  The ams1117 would be dissipating less than 0.5w so it would be fine but the 78l08 must be well over 100c, even 125c.  The most I ever got out of a dpak voltage regulator was 1.9w before thermally throttling(heaps of copper wire to heatsink the heat away too).

That package is sot223, I doubt it can even handle 0.5W without thermal vias and huge copper pads.
Were did you get the power from? Did you measure the current? Between the stm32 and the oled, it maybe draws 10mA, 15 at most. I didn't measure it, barely looked at the datasheets ac and dc characteristics.
I don't think it gets over 0.3W in any conditions. Have you tried it?

« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 07:33:57 pm by DavidAlfa »

Offline ricktendoTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1387 on: July 27, 2021, 07:49:53 pm »
Cool review, but I feel he could have tweaked it further!
At least my last D52 is pretty strong, I could solder 4mm2 wires into a battery pack without issues. I also threw away the rohs solder and got good old 60/40.
That solder melted at 235ºC, making the work much harder, not really a problem when assemblying, but when repairing, specially when trying to remove a multi-pin package.
FYI the test board he is soldering to is 4 solid copper layers, all pads are on a single plain (like a ground plain) and all 4 layers are stitched together! >:D

The following users thanked this post: SteveyG, DavidAlfa

Offline SteveyG

• Supporter
  • Soldering Equipment Guru
« Reply #1388 on: July 27, 2021, 08:18:41 pm »
Yes it's an unrealistically difficult board to solder with, but that's the point. Any normal PCB will work just fine.

Increasing the temperature would likely work, but the point is that's a good indication the soldering iron or tip is of poor design. It's also not recommended as some devices are particularly sensitive to thermal shock.
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/sdgelectronics/
Use code: “SDG5” to get 5% off JBC Equipment at Kaisertech

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1389 on: July 27, 2021, 09:15:40 pm »
Sure! With the jbc C245 station I rarely went over 350 in any conditions, usually 320, while with T12, 360ºC is the start  :-DD
Anyways, the heat shouldn't be a problem, if the solder barely melts, how is it going to heat the part so much?
Well, yes, if you have to put the tip in the pad for 30 seconds until it melts, that's not good.
I usually put a very small blob of solder and wait 2-3 seconds until it starts flowing and filling the hole / pad, then I add a second one,  it will  flow like butter in a frying pan.
But always making the main heat transfer spot in the the pad, not in the pin. On through-hole you'll definitely need to touch the pin, but again, I don't do it from the beginning, but when the solder has already filled the hole slighly.
This is all talking about these solid pads. 99% of solder operations are done a single touch.

Good news: It seems I found a way to remove these nasty spikes with new tips while yet providing fast response.
I mean, completely new tips will still have some weird behaviour, but not that extreme.
All by adding a simple "spike counter" and playing with the filtering factors. Only applying the heavy filtering is applied while in normal behaviour, and reducing it when the change is big, with 2 additional thresholds.

So in total there're 4 filtering levels:
- Diff lower than "Smooth start", considered normal noise. The filtering factor adjusted in system settings is applied (Heaviest filtering).
- Diff between "Smooth start" and "Smooth end" trigger excessive delay detection (tip heating or cooling too fast), so the factor is lowered to 2 to reduce the response time.
- Diff between "Smooth end" and "Reset_max": This is considered a spike, so it's counted and ignored for a maximum of 4 consecutive times, using normal filtering. I the counter hits the limit, reduce filtering to a factor of 1 for max. filtering response, but still provide some filtering.
- Diff higher than "Reset_max": Very huge change. This is usually when a tip is removed and /or put back. Completely reset the filter using factor 0, will override the filter data with the last reading.

This also seems to allow bigger filtering values. I've tried factor 4, seems to help a lot with these spikes, and didn't get any overshoot. So it's the default now.
I opened 2 new tips, and I was able "burn" them into working state in less than a minute.
Set 300ºC. It will oscillate a bit, maybe 280-320. It will progressively dampen, and after 10 seconds or so it will get stable. Sometimes you will get temp runaway error, just click the button and let it start again.
Repeat the procedure rising temps to ex. 370 and 450ºC and let it sit at least 15 seconds each time to ensure it's stable.
The tips are still very new and will do some little jumps when approaching the setpoint, but stay spot-on after that.

After few more changes I've gotten it to the point where I can put all the power onto the tip with only 6ºC difference (400ºC setpoint, 100% at 394ºC touching the wet sponge).
That was with my last tip, which I opened 15 minutes ago! It should behave like a wild beast, but seems to be under control.

Ksger v3 ram is 100.00% used! Adding anything else will require either sacrificing somewthing or huge changes in the code!

Updated builds! :-+
« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 12:57:17 am by DavidAlfa »

The following users thanked this post: totalnoob, Tugo, tatel

Offline bobbydazzler

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1390 on: July 28, 2021, 02:29:41 am »
(Attachment Link)

That package is sot223, I doubt it can even handle 0.5W without thermal vias and huge copper pads.
Were did you get the power from? Did you measure the current? Between the stm32 and the oled, it maybe draws 10mA, 15 at most. I didn't measure it, barely looked at the datasheets ac and dc characteristics.
I don't think it gets over 0.3W in any conditions. Have you tried it?

No I didn't measure the current I thought I saw from a couple of posts that it needs 100ma, that's what I was basing my numbers on.  If it's only 10-15ma then I'm sure it's fine then. 
Btw the 78l08 looks like a sot89 device and the 1117 3.3v is sot 223 and sot 223 can handle 0.5w pretty easy even free standing(they're 110c/w),  the cpu temp sensor on my station reads the correct room temperature when I first turn it on then over the next 10-15min it's temp rises about 17c then it's steady from then on.

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1391 on: July 28, 2021, 03:42:44 am »
100mA is crazy for a stm32! Yeah, you're probably right about the power, anyways, I wouldn't be happy with a regulator working at 110ºC!

Little update and new builds.
I went a little too far with the settings, in some cases filtering x4 delayed the changes too much, causing oscillation. Lowered to x3.
Also some cosmetic issues fixed caused by the recent font changes (When I added the special symbols). I hadn't noticed them until now.
The converter code reports lower font height than it should, messing up some buttons. Manually patched the heights, problem gone.

Also changed the default PID settings (again). I swear these work great with my 10 tips of all sizes. The temp rises like a rocket and stops like if it had hit a concrete wall.
As always, remember these values are meant for the stock PWM speed. If you increase the frequency, it'll probably mess up the PID response too!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 04:17:36 am by DavidAlfa »

Offline dark_hawk

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1392 on: July 28, 2021, 04:03:29 am »
Hi,

I have a KSGR v3.1s bought directly from China. The board is a little different from the picture on github. It has an STM32F101 instead of the STM32F103 like in the picture.
Do you use the v3.x on github or any other firmware?
Also, was anyone successful in getting a copy of the original firmware from the v3.1 board before flashing and would like to share it? I don't have access to an STM32 development to do the timing attack.

Thanks.

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1393 on: July 28, 2021, 04:12:35 am »
Github readme:
KSGER v3.1 [STABLE]: Profile compatible with all STM32F101/2/3xx. Use 101C8 profile.

Boards/KSGER/v3.x/compatibility.txt:
Only the STM32F101 build is provided.
It will work perfectly with 102 and 103 devices

I know some people here has the firmware because they switched the firmware to try the differences. I don't have them!
It would be a nice thing to add into the project.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 04:15:34 am by DavidAlfa »

The following users thanked this post: dark_hawk

Offline dark_hawk

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1394 on: July 28, 2021, 01:20:55 pm »
Thanks for the reply.

After flashing I get this written on the screen:

1240019-0

Offline tatel

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1395 on: July 28, 2021, 01:33:32 pm »
Ksger v3 ram is 100.00% used! Adding anything else will require either sacrificing somewthing or huge changes in the code!

Should we advise to get a STM32F103 MCU or the respective CKS clone?

https://aliexpress.com/item/32994824865.html

(Disclosure: not affiliated)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 01:35:58 pm by tatel »

Offline SteveyG

• Supporter
  • Soldering Equipment Guru
« Reply #1396 on: July 28, 2021, 02:14:00 pm »

https://aliexpress.com/item/32994824865.html

(Disclosure: not affiliated)

The CKS is supposed to be functionally equivalent, but who knows. If you can managed to get hold of a genuine STM32 chip, I'd be tempted to drop it in as a replacement.
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/sdgelectronics/
Use code: “SDG5” to get 5% off JBC Equipment at Kaisertech

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1397 on: July 28, 2021, 02:16:56 pm »
Thanks for the reply.

After flashing I get this written on the screen:

(Attachment Link)

Oops, that line is a malloc, it wanted another 4 bytes and obviously it failed.
I think there's still some margin for the stack, so I reduced it in 32 bytes.
Try this, if it works I'll upload it to github. Edit: I'm pretty confident. Uploaded anyway!

You have a quicko F103, so what are you worrying about?
I don't think it's necessary. It's tight, but for now it'll work. I'm not planning to add lots of new features, for now all my effort is going into making it work smooth as possible.
I spent the whole morning in changing the code, trying to dinamically load each screen, so only the displayed screen uses ram resources. But for now it's just a test, still having a lot of issues.
But it could reduce ram usage in 25% easily.

I have no idea about the CKS. It'll probably work ok, but who knows. I had a cks blue pill, no issues else than ST debugger complaining about not genuine part. Worked nicely with openOCD.
It's doing something inside the stereo of my car :D
« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 02:33:36 pm by DavidAlfa »

Offline dark_hawk

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1398 on: July 28, 2021, 02:41:39 pm »
Thanks, now it works fine.

There is a small bug with the adjust menu in calibration. When I change the value of adc from 1100 to 1150 the save option appears, if I changed it more the save option disappears!

Although I'm still messing around with the firmware but the temperature reading seems to be way off. I think this is by design since you don't want to burn out tips. But for the 250 C for example the actual tip temp. is around 150, that's a lot I think, adc needs to be increased to 1400-1500 for the tip to reach around 240 C.
I'll continue calibrating and report back the calibration results for all the tips I have after you fix that save option disappearing issue.

Thanks again for the hard work. I really love the feel and look of the new firmware.

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1399 on: July 28, 2021, 02:43:24 pm »
Not a bug, that's intentional.
If there're no changes, or the changes don't follow Cal250 < Cal350 < Cal450, the save button is disabled.
Adjust the values ensuring there's no overlap, and it'll let you save.

Yes the tip is lowered on purpose. I don't have enough calibration reports from users, so for now it will be like this.
1400 ADC for 250ºC is pretty normal, even a little low. My Quicko does about 1450-1850-2450. But it's a different hardware, also I lowered the amp gain to use C245, they give 2x the output of T12 at the same temps.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 02:51:21 pm by DavidAlfa »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf