Author Topic: CFW for KSGER/Quicko STM32 Soldering Stations  (Read 643157 times)

Astralix and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline KocsisV

• Contributor
Re: CFW for KSGER/Quicko STM32 Soldering Stations
« Reply #2950 on: May 14, 2022, 10:11:59 am »
Sorry, I can't to anything about having to run it 5 times. But on the upside, it only executes it if its changed, and only for the changed target. So if you only modify the IOC files for target X then only that will be re-generated.
I tried to separate the code gen per target, it works if you only build one target at a time. If you build all then the pre-build "builder" only gets executed one time or not at all (depending which project is it in). Its a known eclipse CDT (the c/c++ dev plugin) bug, and was reported 15 years ago. Welcome to eclipse...

To add target specific symbols (see the attached image):
- right click on the STM32SolderingStation project or in the menu bar Project -> Properties
- on the left of the properties window select "C/C++ General"
- then select "Paths and Symbols"
- select your target configuration from the drop down menu
- select the Symbols tab
- select "GNU C" for the language
- click add on the right side
No need for any -D or similar, the compiler specific "how to" is handled by eclipse.
You either have to do this for each target or tick "Add to all configurations".

Note: I will merge your changes to my repo then I will add the configurations to the new LCD type.
Note2: You can also add the project name as a symbol via a variable (to all configurations): set the value to ${ConfigName} and decide in the code how to handle different configurations.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2022, 10:19:52 am by KocsisV »

Offline Embehu

• Contributor
« Reply #2951 on: May 16, 2022, 07:25:02 am »
I just got this board, it looks like v3 but I’m not sure. Could you please tell me if I can use your cfw?

The mcu is mm32spin. So weird
Many thanks

Online DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2952 on: May 16, 2022, 01:16:29 pm »
It seems a v3. Anyways, you must replace it with a compatible mcu, MM32 isn't!
Hantek DSO2x1x            Drive        FAQ          DON'T BUY HANTEK! (Aka HALF-MADE)
Stm32 Soldering FW      Forum      Github      Donate

Offline ricktendoTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2953 on: May 17, 2022, 01:26:33 am »
It seems a v3. Anyways, you must replace it with a compatible mcu, MM32 isn't!
I got a v3.0 and the MCU does not have any identifying text, this has been rubbed off or it has a thin piece of plastic stuck on top. Fortunately it seems compatible with STM32 chips as it flashes and is running the fw just fine.

Offline KocsisV

• Contributor
« Reply #2954 on: May 17, 2022, 10:17:44 pm »
Out of the 5 supported, which boards have an onboard or external battery (attached from the factory)?

Online DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2955 on: May 17, 2022, 11:20:35 pm »
There are a lot of boards, versions, revisions, variations... check Dreamcat's controllers link in the Readme.
Luckly the layout is the same for a lot of them, there're just 4 bases: Quicko, Ksger 1.5, Ksger V2, Ksger v3.
Also, Quicko 072 and 103 are exactly the same, just uses different mcu, stm32f072 or stm32f103.

Are you planning to make a clock or something like that?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2022, 11:22:38 pm by DavidAlfa »
Hantek DSO2x1x            Drive        FAQ          DON'T BUY HANTEK! (Aka HALF-MADE)

Offline KocsisV

• Contributor
« Reply #2956 on: May 18, 2022, 12:21:44 am »
No, just enable the backup memory for the boards which has a battery backup.

Offline mastershake

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2957 on: May 18, 2022, 03:30:39 am »
there are at least 4 versions of the "oled v3.0" and of the v3.1 boards i know of there may be more. one has the battery soldered directly to the board. one had the spot for the battery to be soldered but no battery. the other has a socket for the battery the last has 2 point and leads soldered to it with a wire to plug into the battery. i have all of them. they appear to be the same boards minus the battery setup on them.

Offline KocsisV

• Contributor
« Reply #2958 on: May 18, 2022, 08:45:33 am »
So there is no certainty that a battery is present. Then I keep the option disabled for all hw targets.

Offline mastershake

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2959 on: May 18, 2022, 08:49:20 am »
So there is no certainty that a battery is present. Then I keep the option disabled for all hw targets.

correct. even if two people order v3.0 / v3.1 they may both get different ones one with a battery and one without.

Offline yelkvi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2960 on: May 18, 2022, 08:55:20 am »
In the menu add an "enable/disable" option.
Let the user decide.

Online DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2961 on: May 19, 2022, 09:55:40 am »
I see that a minor feature, while adding complexity and source of trouble.
Once you've setup everything, the settings will rarely change, unless you change tips every 10 seconds, so flash wear is pretty low.
Also, since the current flash usage is ~90KB, it shouldn't be hard to reserve more space for the settings and use use multiple partitions to reduce wear, ex. 6-8KB, for 3-4 partitions .
When the settings are modified, the a byte in the current partition is written to "0" indicating this block is used, so the settings must be searched in the next block, and when the last block is written, the cycle starts again.

KocsisV, I've tried EmBitz IDE, looks really fast, although as always, once you're used to certain environment, the transition is not easy, also CubeMX is pretty hacky to implement.
I also tried PlatformIO months ago, I hated the JSON stuff, setting everything up was a PITA, nowadays it seems you must master 20 different things before you can actually start developing, is that hard to provide a simple IDE setup?
I learned programming with the old MPLAB IDE, everything was very much the same as CubeIDE, integrated, straighforward, select your device-> Start developing.
Once I see all that lengthy stuff, I just close everything and run away  :-DD

Offline yelkvi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2962 on: May 19, 2022, 02:03:03 pm »
Finally received today a parcel with displays.
Connected - everything works fine.
Thanks David for the firmware!

Online DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2963 on: May 19, 2022, 03:54:25 pm »
Looks nice :-+. I actually like more the non-inverted display!

Offline yelkvi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2964 on: May 19, 2022, 04:08:42 pm »
I bought two different displays to compare. The price is not very high.
I haven't decided which one I like better yet.

Offline KocsisV

• Contributor
« Reply #2965 on: May 19, 2022, 09:15:43 pm »
Backup RAM enabling/disabling could be done at runtime, it would not be that hard as the actual saving/loading is separated from the rest. The "areas" where it stores the selected profile/tip/temp is handled the same whenever its enabled or not. Only the save/load differs a tiny bit. I thought about auto detecting whenever a battery is present or not by measuring the battery voltage, but this could fail if they connected the VBAT to VCC.
Now this function can be enabled by adding (un-commenting) the "#define HAS_BATTERY" in the board.h file.

I often change tips, plus I found it cumbersome to go to the menu to change the default temperature. It would have been better if each tip could have a separate default temp but 20 bytes does not fit it all.
Cycling: what you described is the copy on write file system. I have mentioned this a few times already that it would be one the best solution to reduce flash wear, but to implement it in a non hacky way requires a lot of effort. Sure, it can be implemented with partitions as you said, but once you start to implement and realize that you are writing/erasing a whole page for a few changed bytes you quickly realize that simple partitions is not the way to go.
Btw there is ~40k of empty flash on 128k devices if you compile with size optimization enabled. (Sidenote: I did an experiment with compressed bitmaps (simple RLE) and that would yield another ~2k -> not worth it.)

IDEs: stick with this STM32CubeIDE eclipse. It comes pre-packaged with all things needed. If you plant to switch away then make it non IDE specific eg.: cmake. Then you edit the code in whatever IDE you desire, and others can pick other ones without any issues. But then it will not be as simple as just installing this IDE and having all things at hand immediately.
Btw I regularly use VSCode (what PlatformIO is based on) and its not bad. One of the better IDEs out there.
MPLAB (not MPLAB-X) is not much  better than a text editor. I used it a lot for pic10,12,16 a long time ago.
MPLAB-X could have been better, but they picked the worst base they could have picked: NetBeans. Early versions of it were barely usable, but its not much better now either. I remember I got fed up with it and used eclipse CDT for actually editing the code, then switched to MPLAB-X to build&debug. And their decision to extend the C language with non standard stuff is also completely idiotic.

I created a pull request for my code changes (not the project restructuring, that will come later).
« Last Edit: May 19, 2022, 09:24:58 pm by KocsisV »

Offline Embehu

• Contributor
« Reply #2966 on: May 20, 2022, 12:27:35 am »
Hello,
I tried to use tx2 tip with the original firmware, the temp was up about 3s (100oC) and error occurred (one buzzer beep and scr displayed INVETER). So I think the only way to use my tip is going with CFW.

I also tried to put 600R 2w between 3.3v ldo and vcc, however the mcu is quite noisy, not stable (Vin reading ok but jump up and down)

Now, I’m waiting for the stm32 mcu. Hope it will be ok because my soldering skill is super low, and the mcu has 48 pins.

Online DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2967 on: May 20, 2022, 06:32:51 am »
What do you expect connecting a 300W heater to a power supply designed for 72W?

Offline Embehu

• Contributor
« Reply #2968 on: May 20, 2022, 06:47:38 am »
What do you expect connecting a 300W heater to a power supply designed for 72W?

Haha, I thought it will be slower with the bigger one. Same as charging a lead axis battery with very small current :D

Offline yelkvi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2969 on: May 20, 2022, 10:22:23 am »
No. The power supply switches to protection mode under heavy load. Then it starts up again. You need a powerful power supply. Try connecting a small 24 volt bulb to this power supply in parallel with the controller - you will see for yourself how it blinks when the power supply is turned off in protection.

Offline Embehu

• Contributor
« Reply #2970 on: May 21, 2022, 08:22:44 am »
I need help again,
I soldered the STM32f103; however, when I tried to flash it said "File size is bigger than the flash memory size." I saw my flash memory size is only 64kb
So what can I do now?

Online DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2971 on: May 21, 2022, 11:45:28 am »
Seems like a counterfeit, only clones have really 64KB for 64KB parts, stm32f103 C8(64KB) are actually CB(128KB) but 2nd 64KB memory block untested ot not guaranteed.

Offline bozo

• Contributor
« Reply #2972 on: May 21, 2022, 01:04:47 pm »
My project is KSGERv3.s with SSD1309 and ST7565.

The following users thanked this post: ricktendo

Offline Embehu

• Contributor
« Reply #2973 on: May 21, 2022, 04:53:18 pm »
Seems like a counterfeit, only clones have really 64KB for 64KB parts, stm32f103 C8(64KB) are actually CB(128KB) but 2nd 64KB memory block untested ot not guaranteed.

So can I remove some parts of your code to fit 64kb flash? Or I have to buy the real ic?

Offline ygi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2974 on: May 21, 2022, 07:30:15 pm »
Just removing something easy like translations or unwanted profiles won't be enough. I mean, you can do it but It'd be a lot of rework with a lot of potential breakage to downsize the code that much. Alternatively I think builds went over 64KB in August last year so you could try running an older one from July 2021.
For what it's worth I recently bought a few blue pill boards from this seller and those came with genuine STM32F103C8T6 (QFP48) => https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003169244854.html
If you can't find the original part separately you have that option. Definitely better than butchering the code.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf