Products > Other Equipment & Products

Stopping power meter?

(1/2) > >>

Mr. OBrien:
So I have a spare power meter in the house trying to figure out how the device in this video feeds a signal into the line to stop the meters induction motor. seems interesting but I have no idea where to start. CAn anybody tell me what kind of circuit this guy is using?  :-//

Richard Head:
No! Pay for electricity like everyone else.

NiHaoMike:
A switch to turn off unused devices? It works and is perfectly legal. It works especially well on some old devices with high standby losses.

SeanB:
The simplest is to drive the current coil into saturation, either by using a massive mains rated capacitor or a massive inductor, so that the reactive current is over the rated current of the meter.

However the newer meters ( those made in the last 20 years, and all electronic ones), will measure properly with this massive power factor error with no problems, and will actually overread the power used slightly. They are linear up to rated current with a resistive or reactive load with a power factor over 0.6, but under 0.6 they will have a slight error, always in the utilities favour.

The way to stop or slow down the mechanical meters was to use a supermagnet attached close to the eddy current disk, so that it had extra drag. This though is very visible to the meter reader, and if one is found attached to the meter the typical response is for the meter and wiring to be removed, and the address blacklisted for power service for a period, or for them to install a prepayment meter at your expense and in a non accessible place off the property.

Simplest is to tap off before the meter........... Though here that is solved by them bringing in a front loader and removing the meter along with the cabling from the street by ripping it out through the wall.

HighVoltage:

--- Quote from: SeanB on November 24, 2014, 05:41:22 pm ---The way to stop or slow down the mechanical meters was to use a supermagnet attached close to the eddy current disk, so that it had extra drag.

--- End quote ---

I saw a meter housing that was broken, because someone had placed a huge and strong neodymium magnet next to it.
The mechanical force was so high, that the housing snapped.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version