Author Topic: Suggestions for a sweep-frequency ultrasonic cleaner  (Read 1831 times)

Offline TechnomancerTopic starter

• Contributor
Suggestions for a sweep-frequency ultrasonic cleaner
« on: January 10, 2021, 09:35:46 pm »
I am looking to purchase an sweep-frequency ultrasonic cleaner for PCB cleaning to remove flux residue and initial corrosion removal before I go in and start replacing components. I have heard only good things about Crest cleaners and in particular I was eyeing up the CP500D. Does anyone happen to have other recommendations or perhaps know of any issues I should be aware of for cleaners such as the one I was looking at?

I was also wondering, for folks who do a lot of PCB work, if they think the tank size of the CP500D (or similarly sized cleaners) has been a regular issue or is perhaps only something that comes up occasionally on particularly large PCBs? A unit like the CP1100D has a larger tank but is also a few hundred more.

Offline Microdoser

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Suggestions for a sweep-frequency ultrasonic cleaner
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2021, 02:15:51 pm »
Found this thread as I too am looking for an ultrasonic cleaner to remove flux residue from constructed boards in the £300-400 price range.

Hoping this bump might get this thread some replies.

Offline JM1010

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2021, 05:35:50 pm »
I'm also looking for more affordable alternatives to Crest with sweep function.

Not sure what makes the Crest so special. I think it operates at a somewhat higher frequency eg 42 Khertz.

Regarding the sweep mode, it would be great if someone in the know could set the record straight on this: desirable or definitive must have.

At any rate, the only affordable cleaner with sweep function I found was the Derui. Their model which accommodates all board sizes is the  dr-ds120 (equivalent of the Crest P1200). I have not tested the unit.

Offline Microdoser

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2021, 11:23:06 am »
Hmmm. As this thread is nearly a year old now and the only two replies it has had have been "I'm also looking for one", I am suspecting that there are not many alternatives out there.

Looks to me like there is a niche market that could be exploited ;)

Offline JM1010

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2021, 03:00:04 pm »
Yep, I wonder what makes the sweep mode (and Crest) so special. Is it hype or a must have? Hope someone in the know can answer..

Offline Microdoser

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2021, 03:17:03 pm »
Yep, I wonder what makes the sweep mode (and Crest) so special. Is it hype or a must have? Hope someone in the know can answer..

Sometimes, the only special thing about a particular company is that they are the first, or only, company to do a thing, and it would be easy for another company (or a dedicated enthusiast) to construct a product that works as well, for far less cost.

It may be that it is not hype, is also a must-have, but is at the same time very overpriced.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf