Author Topic: Suggestions Hakko FX-100 vs metcal MX500 or MX5200  (Read 24026 times)

Online SteveyG

• Supporter
  • Soldering Equipment Guru
Re: Suggestions Hakko FX-100 vs metcal MX500 or MX5200
« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2021, 03:31:59 pm »
We do solder brass parts on the circuit boards. 

Does frequency matter?  I checked my solder robot came with Quick 205H 150W soldering stations.  I need to buy different wand (can't find part number).  I think its induction heating.  Not sure what H means and what difference is between 202/203/204/205.  Does Quick have a manufacturer website?  I came across a poland website but was missing a number of models.

The 13.56 MHz systems have the advantage that the handpiece and cartridges are much more compact due to the smaller size of the induction heater, as a result there's also gains in terms of thermal response. It also supports higher power delivery.
I don't know how much is down to the specific cartridge design, but you can definitely tell the difference between the 13.56 MHz and 450 kHz but for normal soldering it's not really an issue.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/sdgelectronics/
Use code: “SDG5” to get 5% off JBC Equipment at Kaisertech

Online SteveyG

• Supporter
« Reply #51 on: October 07, 2021, 03:34:03 pm »
What is the difference between PS-5000 and PS-5200?

PS5200 can power both ports at the same time, PS5000 only one port at a time.

As above, this can be handy for de-soldering with two handpieces.
The tweezers and de-solder gun both only use one port, but two standard handpieces can be a bit more versatile.

Offline labjr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2021, 04:28:37 pm »
I've read a couple user complaints about Thermaltronics tip wear. Metcal are supposed to have a lifetime warranty. Although, I'm not sure exactly what it covers. Maybe only manufacturing defects?

I don't think the Quick induction iron is compatible with Metcal whatsoever. It appears to be some hybrid design with induction and thermocouple since it's adjustable. Not sure what advantage it would have over any other design with a thermocouple? 

Online SteveyG

• Supporter
« Reply #53 on: October 11, 2021, 08:18:21 pm »
I've read a couple user complaints about Thermaltronics tip wear. Metcal are supposed to have a lifetime warranty. Although, I'm not sure exactly what it covers. Maybe only manufacturing defects?

I don't think the Quick induction iron is compatible with Metcal whatsoever. It appears to be some hybrid design with induction and thermocouple since it's adjustable. Not sure what advantage it would have over any other design with a thermocouple?

As I understand it, the induction heating is more responsive. You're heating only the low thermal resistance core which is directly connected to the tip rather than the heating element and everything surrounding it. Certainly I would say the Metcal GT120 soldering station which uses induction + thermocouple seems a lot more responsive than a standard resistive heating element.

Mike said he's been using Thermaltronics tips without any notable difference in quality.

Metcal cartridge warranty is that the heater will outlast the tip plating. Generally that means if the heater fails, it will be replaced, though I've still got cartridges 10+ years old.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf