Author Topic: Swift S41-20 Field of view  (Read 1083 times)

Offline kPATmTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Swift S41-20 Field of view
« on: January 12, 2024, 07:04:34 pm »
I just took delivery of this microscope

https://amzn.eu/d/2NBWVKC

for Console repairs. I literally just set it up a half hour ago and it seems like it will be good for what I need. The only thing is the field of view is pretty minimal. Can anyone recommend an objective lens suitable for it. AFAIK its just a rebranded Amscope SE400. Thanks

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
Re: Swift S41-20 Field of view
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2024, 11:43:55 pm »
What are the eyepieces marked as?
I assume you mean the default zoom is too high, not the field of view width of the image itself right?
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline kPATmTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2024, 06:23:04 am »
It comes with 10x and 20x and with the 10x I can only see a small area to work on?

Offline Solder_Junkie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2024, 11:15:19 pm »
I have the same microscope and use it at x10 magnification for SMD assembly work, down to 0603 sized parts.

It seems ideal to me, especially as it was lower cost than similar models and has two lights as well.

SJ

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2024, 01:42:05 am »
It comes with 10x and 20x and with the 10x I can only see a small area to work on?

10X can be a bit high on the low end for inspection. Most people here recommend getting an adjustable zoom microscope with a range of 3X to 20X or so.

I don't see anything lower than 1X for the barlow but I didn't look that hard, the eyepiece you can get 5X which would cut the magnification in half. Then you can swap out eyepieces to change zoom. Or sell/return and get another unit if you have the budget.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Online jfiresto

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2024, 09:02:47 pm »
I am trying to imagine how to add an auxiliary objective to the OP's microscope. I seem to remember a classic design it may have copied that had you swap out the entire two or three objective pairs to get other powers. Perhaps this Swift could let you replace its single 1X objective pair with an 0.5X?

How many millimeters of a ruler can you see  at 10X? I think you best you can do with super wide field eyepieces worthy of the name would be a bit more than 26mm. 5X eyepieces can do little better peering into 30.5mm eyepiece tubes.

You probably want a different microscope if you are after considerably more field of view. It does not have to be zoom, but it probably does need to have some sort of magnification changer between the objective(s) and eyepieces – and objective(s) that will take a reduction lens in front of them.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2024, 09:14:56 pm by jfiresto »
-John

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline Solder_Junkie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2024, 09:15:07 pm »
With x10 eyepieces (as supplied), the field of view is 18mm

SJ

Online jfiresto

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2024, 03:38:25 pm »
Thank you for the number. 10X/18mm would be considered wide field for eyepieces that fit older 23.2mm tubes, like those on this student dissecting microscope from the 1980s:

I wonder if those 30.5mm eyepieces are really 23.2mm plus spacers.

The Swift/Amscope has 2.4X the working distance of the dissecting microscope, but at the cost of that much less optical resolution. Using stronger than 20~25X eyepieces will likely produce empty magnification.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2024, 03:46:12 pm by jfiresto »
-John

Online jfiresto

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2024, 08:50:47 am »
Somehow, I overlooked the recent revival of the Amscope SE400 thread in which, almost four years ago, Unleaded tried both an 0.5X objective assembly (helpful),  and 5X eyepieces (do not bother).
-John

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf