Author Topic: Is the ATTEN APS3003S-3D bench supply any good?  (Read 4482 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline DanielR

  • Contributor
  • Posts: 10
  • Country: au
Is the ATTEN APS3003S-3D bench supply any good?
« on: July 02, 2013, 01:46:13 pm »
Hi

Is the  ATTEN APS3003S-3D any good, anyone have one and can comment?

http://www.triosmartcal.com.au/dc-bench-supplies/2432-atten-aps3003s-3d-dual-power-supply-0-30v-3a.html

Or would I be better getting two of these:

http://www.triosmartcal.com.au/2647-ka3005p-programmable-dc-power-supply.html

This for a hobbyist. I was hoping to get a supply that has a fix 5V output and one variable output for small projects.

Thanks for any advice.

Regards
Daniel
 

Offline chibiace

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 74
  • Country: nz
Re: Is the ATTEN APS3003S-3D bench supply any good?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 03:31:14 pm »
i have an atten APS3005S, seems alright.

bk has a variable with fixed 12 and 5 volt outputs on it.

the atten or mastech triple output look good. lots of options with those.
He Who Controls The Spice Controls The Universe
 

Offline Circuitous

  • Supporter
  • ****
  • Posts: 236
  • Country: us
    • Corgi-Tronics
Re: Is the ATTEN APS3003S-3D bench supply any good?
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 08:20:22 pm »
I have a similar supply from Circuit Specialists that's a rebranded Atten.  I also have a crummy programmable supply from Quakko (yeah should have known from the name) that's a bit like Korad you list.
One thing to watch for when using these low end supplies is that they often have a voltage surge on startup.  If your circuit is connected when you switch on the supply, you can fry your device.  This is a very common problem in low end PSUs.
This even happens with the Quakko PSU, which has an output switch... just power up the supply (comes up with the output turned off) and watch the surge on the output.  Really bad design.

Here's a discussion and teardown of the APS3003S from an earlier thread:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/atten-aps3003s3005s-variable-power-supply-review-and-teardown/

Offline calin

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 221
  • Country: us
Re: Is the ATTEN APS3003S-3D bench supply any good?
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 01:11:57 am »
I have the same re branded CircuitSpecialists ..  decent. The fan does sound like an airplane and is annoying the heck out of me :) but in rest the supply is OK. It does not look or work bad overall.

I am working to put a fan controller with a good fan and replace the cheap Chinese airplane propeller ... just did not had time to get to finishing it and put a small additional board in (there is plenty of space in the case). Also i think having  multiturn pots won't hurt because voltage changes are .. the issue is to find small enough multiturn pots that fit right in to replace the existing ones.


BTW ... old lesson ... never power a project by just turning on the bench supply. Based on Murphy's law in 95% of the cases it will result in smoke ... the rest of 5% it will also catch fire :). So be smart .. put an on/off switch on your circuit.
 

Offline DanielR

  • Contributor
  • Posts: 10
  • Country: au
Re: Is the ATTEN APS3003S-3D bench supply any good?
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 11:51:07 am »
Hi

Thanks all, think I will steer clear. Will have a look on ebay and see if I can pick something up.

I am in Perth Australia.

Regards
Daniel
 

Offline rbola35618

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 291
  • Country: us
Re: Is the ATTEN APS3003S-3D bench supply any good?
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 03:04:27 am »
I highly recommend the new Rigol DP832

RB
 

Offline calin

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 221
  • Country: us
Re: Is the ATTEN APS3003S-3D bench supply any good?
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2013, 05:22:55 am »
Wow .. that is literally sexy ...  now I am tempted to buy one .. 400$ is not even insane price   :-+
 

Offline rbola35618

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 291
  • Country: us
Re: Is the ATTEN APS3003S-3D bench supply any good?
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2013, 07:23:53 pm »

Check out video I made of the new Rigol DP832.



RB
 

Offline DanielR

  • Contributor
  • Posts: 10
  • Country: au
Re: Is the ATTEN APS3003S-3D bench supply any good?
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2013, 04:12:14 am »

Check out video I made of the new Rigol DP832.

RB

Thanks! I am ordering one now.
 


Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf