Author Topic: Warranty and other failure rates in Seagate branded drives  (Read 14602 times)

Offline saturationTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
Re: Warranty and other failure rates in Seagate branded drives
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2016, 03:16:55 pm »
I agree with you but it general a CYA warranty document need only detail what is rejectable, thus a page of this type is unusual.  Even then, the photos are only examples and still not comprehensive compared to the concept of what is rejectable as detailed within their warranty documents.  Thus, posting the examples are superfluous.  There can be many types of failures, and it varies with production batches.  I think thus, there is merit to considering PCB issues as something to watch out for in Seagate drives, as one example post supports.  I've rarely seen PCB issues from drives made the world except until that post.

I came across a detailed look at common warranty issues around Seagate and its other branded drives.

Their website details common failures that are causes for returns, as well as attempts at fraud.
That's not what that page is telling you. It's a CYA list of things that will cause them to reject a warranty claim. It says nothing whatsoever about "warranty issues" (i.e. what failures are common or not). Most likely that page exists to give a reference to people who send in an abused drive, so they can sa
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Online tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2016, 06:41:58 pm »
No way. It's not a listing of failure modes covered under warranty, never mind a ranking of "failure rates" as you claim in the thread title. They're merely showing which types and extent of product abuse will and will not invalidate the warranty. Nothing less, nothing more.

You described this as a list of "common failures that are causes for returns" -- but that's not what this page is, in any way, shape, or form. It's not a statistical ranking of anything. It's not a list of failure modes (if it were, it would have to include all the failure modes that have no visible flaws). It's not saying that people are to send in drives because of these things, only that they will or won't reject a warranty claim. And nothing here -- NOTHING -- tells you ANYTHING about the quality of the product because there is zero context as to the frequency of failure. (Frankly, I'm surprised they will provide warranty service to a drive with such extensive SATA connector damage. That takes some serious abuse.)

Offline DiTBho

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2023, 07:14:20 pm »
Interesting topic
The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it is conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow

Offline DiTBho

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2023, 09:53:23 pm »
What are the problems with the 2010 Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 and the 2017 Seagate Barracuda 1TB?
Where can I read something with scientific or statistical value?
The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it is conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow

Offline jonpaul

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2023, 06:26:20 am »
Use Samsung SSD EVO 8xx  No fail

Every HDD will fail and seagate/WD (merged) are about avg

j
Jean-Paul  the Internet Dinosaur

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2023, 07:06:48 am »
I personally remember these being the worse of Seagate: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ST3000DM001

Offline mariush

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2023, 01:30:43 pm »
Seagate also had some firmware problems with some of their hard drives ... they bricked a bunch of hard drives - if my memory is correct due to an internal counter going above 32 bits limits and crashing the firmware - ... here's an article about it : https://www.anandtech.com/show/3482

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf