Author Topic: Trinocular Microscope Question with IMX290 AF camera  (Read 822 times)

Offline andrewwong2000Topic starter

• Contributor
Trinocular Microscope Question with IMX290 AF camera
« on: February 21, 2020, 03:19:28 pm »
I just bought one of the 2020 series trinocular Eakins scopes and was wondering if the AutoFocus IMX290 is worth the extra $$$ when mounted on the microscope ?

I've only seen found videos of the IMX290 as a standalone system, so not sure if the AF still works the same ?

Online jfiresto

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Trinocular Microscope Question with IMX290 AF camera
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2020, 08:07:54 pm »
I am not familiar with your 2020-series microscope and do not get any obvious hits when I search for it.

Could you post a link to exactly your microscope, including a description.

I do not think I have ever read of anyone mounting an auto-focusing camera to a trinocular microscope, camera port. Every port I am familiar with, projects a fixed focus image suitable for a fixed focus camera, perhaps fronted with a relay lens. Why add auto-focus when it is not needed?
-John

Offline dreamcat4

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2020, 09:49:38 pm »
its a simu-focal like the amscope sm-745ntp. He is asking if the autofocus can still work through the simu-focal prism if it is not in focus. Or if that prevents the camera from being able to re-focus the image

Online jfiresto

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2020, 11:04:32 am »
Thank you for the clarification. I had posted a respone earlier this morning, but deleted it. Microscope video is something I have been working on, but need to learn more about.
-John

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2020, 07:34:02 pm »
I have a similar setup and auto-focus works fine. Kind of - if it's just a bit blurred to start with it focuses OK. However, at power-up the camera seems to run to one extreme and then can't figure out how to make the thing focus, so you end up with a small blurred circle. Fix is to switch to manual focus to get it back somewhere in range than carry on as normal, but it can get to be a drag doing that every startup.

For the purposes of recording video, should be no problem at all.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf