Author Topic: UNI-T UT10A review  (Read 19274 times)

Offline LightagesTopic starter

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
UNI-T UT10A review
« on: October 04, 2011, 06:41:45 am »
In one of my orders from DealExtreme, I had put a UNI-T UT10A in my cart for review. Well when I pushed the buy button I forgot to remove the meter. I decided to get it anyway and see how bad a $12 pocket meter could be.

http://www.uni-trend.com/UT10A.html

As far as pocket meters go, it didn't feel half bad so I decided to test it and see how good it was.

It feels solid in the hand with no cheap feel to it. The LCD window cover is quite flexible but it takes quite a bit of pressure to get any distortion on the LCD. The display is easy to read and updates very quickly, probably 4 times a second.The selection switch feels a little indecisive but it is not a problem in practice. The leads are permanently connected and have good sharp probes. The selection buttons for the alternative functions feel a little soft, but nothing to complain about really.

To change the battery, it is necessary to open the case to get at the CR2032 cell inside. Fortunately and surprisingly for such a cheap meter the screw has a brass insert so it should not wear out too quickly. Inside the construction is quite tidy and the quality of the soldering is very good. This is no ruggedized meter but it certainly is not a fragile one either. The only input protection in this is one PTC. I am not worried as I don't think I will be testing 480V mains with it.

The functions that this meter has makes it quite useful for general electronic testing and low voltage bench work. It matches or exceeds its specifications in any test that I can verify, some of which can be seen in the photos below. Mine was accurate beyond its specifications but this is only a sample of one. Out of my three UNI-T meters, the two least expensive ended up being the most accurate out of the box. The continuity test is non-latched but is instantaneous.

My conclusion? This is a useful meter and a good buy for the price. It is lacking any kind of current measurement but that isn't what a pocket meter is for. If you want to do current measurements and test high energy circuits then you should be looking elsewhere. If you are looking for an inexpensive and useful pocket meter, then consider this one for good value.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 06:50:20 am by Lightages »

Offline vk6hdx

• Regular Contributor
    • vk6hdx - Twitter
Re: UNI-T UT10A review
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 02:32:48 am »
Thanks for the review Lightages.  Given the low price, I may just get one of these as a backup.

Troy

Offline nukie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 04:00:38 am »
You will love it especially the large display and for battery this size 15minute Auto Sleep is important.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 04:05:34 am by nukie »

Offline LightagesTopic starter

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 05:08:47 am »
Thanks for the review Lightages.  Given the low price, I may just get one of these as a backup.

There really is little to not like about this meter. As nukie says the display is big and clear for the size of the meter.

Offline vk6hdx

• Regular Contributor
    • vk6hdx - Twitter
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 11:17:53 am »
There really is little to not like about this meter. As nukie says the display is big and clear for the size of the meter.

Thanks, just ordered one of these from ebay $9.95 + p&h, good backup meter to by UT60B.

Offline plunger

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 04:16:27 am »
I bought one of these. Cool little guy and I keep it in my laptop bag.

Anyone have a different case for it?

Offline chibiace

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 01:47:26 am »
This meter is great for quick low voltage/ohm/continuity work. very small and light, very cheap 10 bucks, though not much input protection and no current measurement. highly recommended as secondary or tertiary meter.
He Who Controls The Spice Controls The Universe

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2013, 07:02:50 pm »
I bought one of these. Cool little guy and I keep it in my laptop bag.

Anyone have a different case for it?
I did try to put mine in one but i decided NAH. It's case is pretty sweet on it's own
I got some high-res teardown pics but it looks like my webserver is down again  |O Have to suss out my ISP issues with connecting from outside then i can host my webserver from my server
http://the4thpin.comeze.com/archives/1040
The back is bare as hell. I was dissapointed  :-DD
Click on the image for the high res version
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 02:39:10 pm by T4P »

Offline peter.mitchell

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2013, 06:46:26 am »
I got one for free with a $50 soldering station, i've used it more than the station - after quite some use the range switch gets stuck between modes, not terrible, just turn it back and forth and it works. Continuity is QUICK, like VERY quick, I like it, a lot.

Offline shved

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2021, 01:46:35 pm »
I know this is an old topic, but i have something to add and there are more chances that somebody'll find it here in case of a problem.

I'm using my UNI-T UT10A as a laptop bag, follow me around, quick meter for about 7 years. Overall experience is good, range-switch has some problems sometimes and I've had to change probes couple of times, but that's usual stuff, and some people also reported that. So i knew all that going in.

What's unusual is that it has some wired battery problems. This year I've noticed that sometimes, on some resistor values and ranges the meter lied or powercycled, but the battery voltage was OK and even load test with LED delivered satisfactory results. After some screwing around and changing the battery to brand new one everything on all ranges returned to normal. As far as I've understood, the battery contact resistance was too high. The battery holder design is rubbish and if battery itself has some textured finish on (-) contact or some other resistance related problems - replace it with good one. In this type of a meter the battery lasts a long period of time(more tan a year) so it makes sense to buy a good battery once a year or so.   

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf