Author Topic: "Universal Car Soldering Aid Pliers" -- any good?  (Read 1651 times)

Online ledtesterTopic starter

• Super Contributor
"Universal Car Soldering Aid Pliers" -- any good?
« on: July 11, 2023, 01:34:12 am »
Has anyone had experience using the "Universal Car Soldering Aid Pliers", e.g.:

https://www.amazon.com/Camrusic-Soldering-Automobile-Maintenance-Repairing/dp/B0BSGG7T3G/

or

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805286425401.html

Looks like it could be handy for soldering wires together.

Offline alm

• Super Contributor
Re: "Universal Car Soldering Aid Pliers" -- any good?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2023, 07:30:42 am »
It doesn't look to me like it has any way of clamping the wires, so I'd think it only works for stiff, fairly thick wires like shown in the picture.

Offline BlackICE

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2023, 07:24:18 am »
Seems to use spring clamps on the jaws to hold the wires.

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2023, 08:25:28 am »
Of course none of us would ever solder a joint like that and rely on the solder for mechanical strength now would we?  ;)

The following users thanked this post: Ian.M

Offline BlackICE

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2023, 09:30:40 am »
Of course not. Even if the wire were looped and hooked then twisted together the solder joint and surrounding area should never be subject to movement or vibration anyway, because repeated movement will fatigue the wire causing failure. So the strength of the solder joint shouldn't be as big of a deal as one would expect. I would guess if you just laid 20x+ the diameter of the wire side by side and soldered it together correctly, then did a straight pull test the solder joint will not fail. One of the sides right near the joint will break 1st. The weakened heated copper will fail 1st.

The following users thanked this post: bdunham7

Offline Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2023, 09:42:16 am »
This is useless for soldering wires together on a workbench. For that all you need is something to hold one end of a wire.

But the one thing i could see this tool useful for is joining wires together in the field when working in tight spaces. Like soldering a wiring loom that already has both ends of a wire mounted in place in some hole on a car or boat or something. You can't pull the wire out of the hole to do soldering comfortably This lets you manipulate both ends of the wire without having to stick your whole hand in there, leaving lots of room to come in with a soldering iron. Especialy since you want to get your wires nicely parallel, otherwise it is hard to get heatshrink over it, or the sharp point could puncture trough the heatshrink.

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2023, 09:44:08 pm »
This is useless for soldering wires together on a workbench. For that all you need is something to hold one end of a wire.

You need to hold both ends in some cases, eg if one end has a heavy connector, the other is a harness, using stiff wire, etc.
Then you'll have one hand free to feed in solder.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

The following users thanked this post: Someone

Online Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2023, 10:17:01 pm »
You need to hold both ends in some cases, eg if one end has a heavy connector, the other is a harness, using stiff wire, etc.
and not form micro cracks from vibration/movement as the solder is cooling to solidus.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2023, 05:13:32 am »

Yep in that case i put the connector into a mini vise to keep it steady.

Usually i pre tin both ends before soldering so not feeding in fresh flux filled solder is not as important. The pre tining leaves enough stray flux on the wire to make a decent looking joint as long as you do it fast. If it still doesn't want to make a nice joint i can always add a tiny bit of gel flux on the end of the wire.

For just holding wires still when soldering i tend to use the PCBite clamps. They are only really designed to hold PCBs but they grab wires nicely too and because of squeezing it over a large area it doesn't damage the insulation (especially when it gets soft from the heat of the soldering). But the classical "3rd hand" jigs work well too once you put some heatshrink on the crocodiles to prevent them from biting into the insulation.

Offline freda

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2023, 05:49:22 am »
just imagine what we could do if humans evolved with 3 arms and hands!!
we would probably be already traveling right across the galaxy.lol

The following users thanked this post: Berni

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2023, 09:28:52 am »

Nature doesn't like asymetry, so better to evolve four - two for the objects, one for the iron and one for the solder. A simpler leap would be more evolved feet and with opposible 'thumbs' (we may already have this, like the tree climbing apes) and improved, probably just trained, leg flexibility. This could be be accompanied by a modified and enlarged ass structure for greater stability (a proportion of the population have already developed this!).
Best Regards, Chris

Offline Stray Electron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2023, 01:30:52 pm »

Probably not IMO. Our lack of physical strength and agility is exactly what forced humans to become more intelligent than other animals and forced us to develop tools and forced us to develop language so that we could work as a group to solve problems.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2023, 08:56:05 am »
Has anyone had experience using the "Universal Car Soldering Aid Pliers", e.g.:

https://www.amazon.com/Camrusic-Soldering-Automobile-Maintenance-Repairing/dp/B0BSGG7T3G/

or

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805286425401.html

Looks like it could be handy for soldering wires together.
Cool idea, but since you hold the wires so closely together, I think there’s a big risk of the insulation getting damaged once the wire heats up, especially on thick wire that takes longer to heat up. (Insulation gets soft, jaws squeeze into it.) I use helping hands with silicone tube on the jaws for such things, and try to actually clip the wire far apart and use extra helping hands arms to passively support the wires more carefully into place.

This gives me an idea, though: maybe I could machine holders that are specific to individual insulation diameters, so that the wire is held in a round hole the same size and shape as the insulation, so that even if it softens, it’s kept in the right shape. Hmmm… (I start a new job in September and my lab will be within the mechanical workshop, so I’ll have plenty of access to machines and skill. ;)

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2023, 02:28:46 pm »
You've got 5 fingers on each hand. I use two fingers to feed solder and two fingers to hold the wire using one hand.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf