Author Topic: Xytronic 988D solder controller modification?  (Read 1330 times)

Offline wildstar87Topic starter

Xytronic 988D solder controller modification?
« on: October 28, 2021, 06:01:29 pm »
Cross posted from Projects sub-forum, let me know if this isn't proper..

I've been mulling this over for a bit.  I have a Xytronic 988D, which is a decent station, but I'd like to mod it, to basically use either a Unisolder, or KSGER or similar controller.

I want to be able to use either the Hakko T12, or JBC 210/245 handles, so I can use quickly swappable tips, and possibly use a desoldering gun from ZD-915, or the original Xytronic DIA-60 that is already on station.  The soldering iron side seems basically the same as the Hakko 907/Clones, though I'm not sure if the pinout and thermocouple are the same.

The soldering iron side seems straightforward enough, it's more the desoldering side that I'm having a harder time figuring out how to implement.  Since it already has transformers, and vacuum pump built into it, I thought modifying 988D would be a good upgrade of the station.

Basically I'm trying to find out if the Unisolder or KSGER/Quicko will support, or can be modified to support the desoldering gun/handle.  I know the Unisolder is supposed to be able to support two handles, but it's hard to find information on this, and crawling an almost 400 page thread to find this info has been difficult.  The main sticking point that I can see, is setting up desoldering side for temp measurment/adjustment, since there is little information on desoldering handle calibration/requirements.  The vacuum switch trigger is simple, I can just leave that connection to the original controller.  I know for the KSGER type, I would have to get two controllers, one for the soldering and one for the desoldering side, but again the same issues with that.

It would also be great for it to be able to be used with the original handles as well.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

If there is some other sub-forum that this would better be posted to, let me know as well.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf