Author Topic: 3D Printing – Conductive ABS Filament – Anyone used this product?  (Read 3442 times)

Offline Mr.BTopic starter

• Supporter
My first 3D printer is on its way from China.
It is a budget unit for me to get into the hobby before I decide to invest more.
I pulled the trigger on an ANYCUBIC 3D Printer I3 Mega Plus Size from AliExpress.
The unit comes with one 1Kg spool of black PLA.

In my search for a stock of further consumables I came across *Black Conductive ABS*.
The descriptions on AliExpress are rather lacking. The only description I can find says that it consists of ABS and Conductive Powder. (I assume Carbon).

I had an idea to print a partitioned SMD tray for placing the project BOM in and working from this tray while placing the components on the PCB.
The tray would sit on my anti-stat mat. If the conductivity of the product is sufficient it should be static dissipative enough to provide good static protection.

My question to all is:
Have you used this product?
How conductive is it?
Is it mildly conductive, sufficient for my idea above?

I look forward to any feedback.

Thank you in advance.
I approach the thinking of all of my posts using AI in the first instance. (Awkward Irregularity)

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
Re: 3D Printing – Conductive ABS Filament – Anyone used this product?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2018, 06:00:24 am »
Maybe would be a best guess but by all accounts any of the carbon filled filaments and even the metal filled ones are poor conductors. Quick check on similar sounding filaments are 10kOhms/metre of filament so for non circuit stuff might be OK. I would have thought that any plastic sitting on a grounded anti static mat wouldn't build up a charge anyway?

If the Aliexpress one is Carbon Filled (most likely) it will chop hell out of your stock nozzle on the printer so add a hardened nozzle or consider the one installed sacrificial. Add to this to get a decent print with ABS you will need an enclosure (not in all cases but a warm to hot room will help) and the other thing is will the 'ultrabase' stand ABS bed temperatures never used it so IDK? Did a quick check and Ultrabase is fine to 'great' on ABS

And apart from being a bit of a soggy blanket welcome to printing when your toy arrives :)

« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 06:54:44 am by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline tsman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2018, 06:26:05 am »
What beanflying said.

An alternative is to use PLA to print some trays and spray it with something like Licron Crystal ESD spray.

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2018, 04:46:13 am »
Thank you beanflying and tsman.
I will go the ESD spray route considering the warning about nozzle abrasion and the fact that the filament is more expensive than regular ABS.

I am looking forward to getting into the hobby.
I have been reading a lot about the trials and tribulations...
Fortunately I am a patient person.
I approach the thinking of all of my posts using AI in the first instance. (Awkward Irregularity)

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2018, 05:00:06 am »
Lots to learn about what does and doesn't work and in particular when you start playing with close fitting parts and tolerances. Supports are another whole can of worms so learning to design without them where possible is a good thing.

If you don't have a 3D cad preference then Fusion 360 works really well and there is a heap of good 3D printing based tutorials on youtube using it. With your tray idea designing in curved or heavily filleted bottoms to help part removal would be a good thing too. Also depending on the size you are making it watch for lifting on the corners of the print and add a 'brim' to help reduce that.

Have fun  :)
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline tsman

• Frequent Contributor

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2018, 06:56:50 pm »
Thanks for your encouragement.
I have been reading plenty and am looking forward to jumping in.

tsman: That is the kind of thing I was thinking of.
Only difference for me is that my pick and place machine is the *hobbyist grade human version*

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf