Author Topic: Uyue 946c Hot Plate - old or new model?  (Read 2151 times)

Offline HwAoRrDkTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Uyue 946c Hot Plate - old or new model?
« on: January 18, 2024, 02:16:31 am »
I'm thinking of buying an Uyue 946C hot plate.

However, there seem to be two models available from sellers on the usual platforms: an 'old' and a 'new' model. The old model has blue and yellow colour scheme, front-mounted power switch and appears to use an off-the-shelf panel-mount temperature controller module. The new model has a teal and white colour scheme, has rear-mounted power switch and has an integrated temperature controller.

Anyone know if there's any differences in features? The controller on the old one has two numeric displays and seems to have more buttons, which kind of implies more functionality; the new one only has a single numeric display and only three buttons ('up', 'down', 'set').

Or do you think I'm I just going to get a new model even if I order the old one? :D

Offline AndrewNorman

• Contributor
Re: Uyue 946c Hot Plate - old or new model?
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2024, 05:02:59 am »
Just ordered one of the new ones so I will let you know what it is like.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2024, 07:21:33 am »
I bought one of the new style ones in the end.

My only complaint is that the purported temperature calibration feature described in the instructions doesn't seem to exist - or, at least, has a button combination I couldn't guess.

Oh, and that on mine the edges of the aluminium plate were razor sharp. I had to take a file and chamfer them.

Offline Martiniko

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2024, 08:57:38 am »
So you liked the one you ordered? I am looking at the same problem. So many models all called the same...
If you liked it do you have a link to were you ordered it from?

Offline AndrewNorman

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2024, 05:49:47 am »
Mine arrived over the weekend - https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B09YXJC3T8 is the one I ordered.

I was expecting shoddy wiring and dodgy construction.

I am actually impressed. The new model has 240V heating elements so they have removed the transformer that I saw mentioned in some teardowns of the older model. Earth bonding was pretty good, with all exposed metal (that wasn't powder coated) connected to earth.

The only problem was the one mentioned by HwAoRrDk, the edge of the top aluminium plate is like a razor blade; so a file will be coming its direction soon.

The temperature control is rock solid, apart from the fact it is reading 20C low but there is an adjustment for that. When it thinks it is at the right temperature it goes up and down a couple of degrees; although I was only testing it at 250C for 20 minutes. Warm up time isn't too shabby, took 1-2 minutes to go from cold to 250C.

So overall not a bad little addition to the lab.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2024, 11:05:25 am »
The temperature control is rock solid, apart from the fact it is reading 20C low but there is an adjustment for that.

Have you actually tried to use that? On mine the calibration feature as described in the instructions doesn't seem to exist.

The described temperature calibration mode says to press SET, it will display "00" (or whatever currently configured offset is), then you can adjust a +/- value, then long-press SET to exit. But that doesn't work because it just goes to temperature setting whenever you press SET.

Here's what I have figured out so far about how it actually works:

- To set temperature, press SET. Display will flash set point value; use up/down to adjust temperature; hold arrow key to fast increment/decrement. Press SET again to confirm, or wait for it to time-out.

- To turn off without using rear power switch (i.e. go to standby), long press SET for approx. 5 secs. Same again to turn back on.

I couldn't find any other modes or functions with other button press combinations.

I think they probably even put the wrong instruction sheet in with mine, because it talks about a vacuum pump in several places.

Offline NickPlays

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2024, 07:22:24 pm »
Hey AndrewNorman,

I purchased the 230V version of the unit on AliExpress. I'm curious if you know how the heating element in your unit is mounted. In my case, it's currently mounted directly with screws, and I'm thinking about improving how its mounted.

Offline AndrewNorman

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2024, 12:12:39 am »
I purchased the 230V version of the unit on AliExpress. I'm curious if you know how the heating element in your unit is mounted. In my case, it's currently mounted directly with screws, and I'm thinking about improving how its mounted.

I didn't pull mine to bits enough to have a look at the mounting, but if I get time I will do so this weekend.

The temperature control is rock solid, apart from the fact it is reading 20C low but there is an adjustment for that.

Have you actually tried to use that? On mine the calibration feature as described in the instructions doesn't seem to exist.

The described temperature calibration mode says to press SET, it will display "00" (or whatever currently configured offset is), then you can adjust a +/- value, then long-press SET to exit. But that doesn't work because it just goes to temperature setting whenever you press SET.

<snip>

I couldn't find any other modes or functions with other button press combinations.

I think they probably even put the wrong instruction sheet in with mine, because it talks about a vacuum pump in several places.

My instructions talk about a vacuum pump as well. But when I was playing around after first turning it on, it got into a mode where I could adjust the temperature both positive and negative (assuming that I didn't buy a fridge) is the temperature adjustment mode. But again if I get time this weekend then I will see if I can figure out how to get the offset working.

Offline AndrewNorman

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2024, 06:31:44 am »
Updates from my investigations this weekend.

I cannot get the temperature adjustment menu working, I don't think the version that we have supports any form of adjustment. But given the circuit board it might be possible to rebuild the entire control software and make it more flexible, in all reality I will probably just run it with a thermocouple near the board to ensure the temperature is what I want.

I checked the mounting of the elements.

So the heaters are mounted on holders screwed to the bottom of the plate. There is thermocouple screwed to the side (top in the picture) of the base plate. Note sure if moving it into the middle of plate might be a good idea.

2068661-0

The heating elements slip into the holders with a reasonably close friction fix, not sure if some form of high temperature thermal paste would help.

2068667-1

Hope this helps
Andrew

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf