Products > Other Equipment & Products

We got crypto and they were supposed to replace cash:2022 and we have CASHAPP?

(1/4) > >>

Beamin:
Really? at first I was hoping bitcoin would replace my atm card, then the value was too unstable and you had to convert as soon as you got it. Then we got about 900 other coins and I thought one of them could be the next electronic currency, like a coin that has value but has something like teather so that you dont have to play stock market everytime someone puts money in your account.

So its 2022 and which coin won? Cashapp. Really, thats what all the kids use that sell weed in the city, how you send a few bucks to a friend, or now cash app is like a Bank, checking and ATM card for a lot of young and poor people who cant get bank accounts or dont mind paying $5.00 to to withdraw 10$ (plus probably and ATM fee too, its crazy).

I dont even think crypto could get into the market with the huge hold that cash app has now. Its a shame.

Anyways I just remembered I have a binance account with some ETH or BTC, its got something in it, but for the life of me I cant get their support to give me access to my account whos password has been lost. Two factor is awesome: yeah until you have a problem.

Ed.Kloonk:
Crypto was always going to be precarious.

mariush:
Crypto couldn't work back then due to high transaction fees and the delay until the transaction is permanent.

With Bitcoin, it costs (or used to cost) more than a few dollars to make a transaction because the transactions are "bundled" and "attached" to the chain, which happens once every 10 minutes for bitcoin. So the more you pay in transaction fees, the higher priority your transaction will get and be put in blockchain faster.

For Ethereum, it's every 14 seconds these days but they moved to other validation methods with which there's a chance to have much lower  transaction costs and "transaction complete" times.

Besides cost of the transaction, there's also the time necessary to have the transaction permanent - if you want to make sure the transaction is permanent and can't be reverted, it was recommended to wait at least 2-3 blocks to be added to the chain. 
In the case of Ethereum, I had companies that waited up to 5 minutes after my transaction was added to the blockchain (me transferring ethereum to them) and only then after a bunch of blocks were added after the block with my transaction, they considered the transaction complete.

One can also send a transaction with such low transaction fee (gas in the case of ethereum) that would expire, never picked up to be bundled in blocks and added to chain, because other transactions had higher priority.  So you may see on their phone that the payment is initiated, but you can't trust it until the transaction is actually on the blockchain and even then there's a risk of reversal for a few minutes.

So if you're at a store and want a chewing gum or a bottle of milk, they're not gonna be willing to take your ethereum transaction and wait 1m or so until the transaction is guaranteed.

With ethereum going stake proof, it would be possible for those 14s until validation to go much lower, to like 2-5 seconds, maybe even less.

I could see crypto transactions working through a known payment processor - apple pay or ... i don't want paypal but they could do it -  such services would be able to guarantee to shops that transactions would go through..

Cashapp is something typical american otherwise. ... Here in Romania every bank has online services and free transfer between cards of same bank , I can do it from my phone app or regular website  and even between different banks.  I pay for my lunch every day by transferring 10-15$ to a colleague who goes to a store to buy food, by transferring money though my bank's app for no fees.

For people that aren't using the same bank, I just need the name of the person and the IBAN code  and transfer fees are usually like 50 cents to a dollar / euro between banks, and usually next day in the morning you have the money in your account.

EEVblog:

--- Quote from: Beamin on November 05, 2022, 01:36:32 am ---So its 2022 and which coin won? Cashapp. Really, thats what all the kids use that sell weed in the city, how you send a few bucks to a friend, or now cash app is like a Bank, checking and ATM card for a lot of young and poor people who cant get bank accounts or dont mind paying $5.00 to to withdraw 10$ (plus probably and ATM fee too, its crazy).

--- End quote ---

Cashapp is not avaiable here in Australia

AndyBeez:
Maybe keep clear of crypto for now? At least wait for the BlockFi and FTX fallout to cease contaminating the alt coins.

Crypto it seems is not just bad for your health, but your life expectancy too.
--- Quote ---Curse of the crypto whizz kids: Missing millions, mysterious deaths and wild conspiracy theories surrounding the untimely demise of digital currency tycoons - after young star becomes SECOND to die in four weeks

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11477765/Curse-crypto-whizz-kids-Missing-millions-mysterious-deaths-wild-conspiracy-theories.html

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version