Author Topic: Weller WX 2010 - I am not impressed  (Read 2245 times)

Online daqqTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • My site
Weller WX 2010 - I am not impressed
« on: April 12, 2021, 07:21:22 am »
Hi,

We've bought a Weller WX 2010 soldering station, including some of the tips and handles and I gotta say - I'm not impressed.

The user interface is clunky and unintuitive, the touch buttons do not respond as sensitively as you might expect. The detection of whether or not I am soldering is simply too insensitive and too often I have to do stuff to get it out of the standby mode even though I was soldering moments before.

But the most disappointing property of the device is the ESD sensitivity. If you are slightly charged, touch the soldering pen and discharge yourself through it, the station occasionally starts beeping an error and will stay that way until you power cycle it. While I do understand that you should have stuff against ESD, it is disappointing to see an expensive industrial product not have the same functionality as my 10 EUR computer mouse.

The good part is that the soldering tips are good, quickly changeable, the range of available tips is great and so forth. Though the pricing and purposeful incompatibility between the three pens is a bit silly - one pen type should have been enough and paying ~170 EUR per handle is silly.

I am not impressed and would have expected more for the buck.

David
Believe it or not, pointy haired people do exist!
+++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Offline blacksheeplogic

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Weller WX 2010 - I am not impressed
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2021, 09:29:25 am »
I also do not like the UI on my WX2D but having the presets held by hand-piece almost makes up for it.

ESD is set using a 3.5mm Jack at the back, see manual on how to do this.

Although I have a investment in the WX line I also have a large selection of the older hand-pieces so I'm considering the WT2M rather than investing further into the WX line. I don't think you are missing out on much with the WT line except the WX UI which I would be happy not to have.

I have no complaints with the performances of the WX and or hand pieces.

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2021, 11:21:05 am »
What I think is happening, the static discharge is interfering with their tip detection. The station probably thinks you are swapping the tip without turning it off (some stations are not hotswap and it can damage them), so it disables output until you power cycle it.

Pace and Hakko you just swap them out, JBC you need to pull the tip with the station tool and Metcal requires switching off. Not sure about how the different Wellers deal with it, but that sounds like the problem.
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Online daqqTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • My site
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2021, 12:28:55 pm »
What I think is happening, the static discharge is interfering with their tip detection.
I don't think that's it - you can change the tips easily enough without issues and power cycling the device.

Either way, it's not important what's happening. What's important is that it should not be happening.
I have no complaints with the performances of the WX and or hand pieces.
The performance is great - that's what saddens me most. A good soldering station ruined by user interface design and ESD reaction.
Believe it or not, pointy haired people do exist!
+++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2021, 12:42:14 pm »
What this even supposed to mean? Soldering station is already grounded via mains cable. User obviously can take ESD prevention measures. The problem is that it glitches from ESD event. No assembled equipment should do that. Especially when you just hold insulated handle, not discharge into some data connector.

Offline blacksheeplogic

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2021, 09:34:29 pm »
What this even supposed to mean? Soldering station is already grounded via mains cable. User obviously can take ESD prevention measures. The problem is that it glitches from ESD event. No assembled equipment should do that. Especially when you just hold insulated handle, not discharge into some data connector.

No, bonding is configurable on the WX. My guess is that the 3.5mm plug is in the jack.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2021, 11:32:09 pm »
No, bonding is configurable on the WX.
With no plug as it is supplied from factory, it's grounded to mains. But even if it's floating, it should not glitch.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 11:40:39 pm by wraper »

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2021, 12:24:16 am »
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Offline blacksheeplogic

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2021, 08:06:28 am »
No, bonding is configurable on the WX.
With no plug as it is supplied from factory, it's grounded to mains. But even if it's floating, it should not glitch.

Interesting, mine cam from the supplier with it, they must have since cost optimized it (every last penny)  :)

Offline blacksheeplogic

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2021, 08:27:57 am »
Looks like it's non hotswap according to the handpiece manual image, can you guys confirm?

https://media-weller.de/weller/data/OI/OI/WX/Manual_WX_Units_GB_ES_FR.pdf
https://media-weller.de/weller/data/OI/Manual_WXMP_MS_WXPP_MS_WXUP_MS_T0055747301.pdf

The micro tools which are cartridge based, that may be the case. The manual for the WXP hand-pieces states to change soldering tips only when they are cold (wait 3 mins). I think this is more of a burn liability warning against the inept.

Habit, I turn the channel off but I'm not patiently waiting for 3 mins for the tip to cool down. I can't see why the Power-Response Tips or Silver Tips being changed with the channel on should cause a problem.

I'l ask the supplier but I suspect they just give me the burn warning from the manual....

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf