Author Topic: Weller WX Micro Soldering Station vs Weller WX Pico Soldering Station  (Read 2067 times)

Offline maximoTopic starter

Hi Guys, I'm new to the forum and I have not found a question from this specific product.

Someone has experience with the Weller WX Pico 2011 Soldering Station]? This is supposedly the newer model but I heard that the Weller WX Pico 2010 Soldering Station would be a better option even being an older model.

The 2010 has also a slightly higher price than the 2011:

WX Micro2010: https://grovesales.co.uk/weller-wx-2010-micro-ms-soldering-station/
WX Pico 2011: https://grovesales.co.uk/weller-wx-2011-pico-ms-soldering-station/

Any relevant experience with these specific soldering stations?

TIA.

Online thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

The following users thanked this post: maximo

Offline maximoTopic starter

Thanks for that, probably I'll have to spend some time to convince the boss to go for the JBC instead of Weller. =/
Thank you!

Offline aronake

• Regular Contributor
Re: Weller WX Micro Soldering Station vs Weller WX Pico Soldering Station
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2021, 04:57:36 am »
I had a JBC CD that broke down and then got a Weller WX2.

Started with the old pens which were quite ok, but felt a bit outdated. Then got a WXMP and later a WXUP (150W).

Now recently the WXPP pen was released. There is quite a bit of overlap in tip sizes of WXMP and WXPP. WXMP can do 55 watt but only with certain tips, so in essence a 40 W handle and same as WXPP. WXPP little smaller, but feels like a modernization of WXMP. I never tried WXPP, but I would go for that and later add a WXUP, and if you like tweezers got that too at some point. WXPP slightly shorter from handle to tip than WXMP, which is something I like. Not that WXMP is that long anyway.

On JBC vs Weller, I think both are very good when it comes to soldering, tips etc. You can't really go wrong with any. For most work, I find having two channel station with different pens and tips very useful. So a huge plus for the Weller. If i didn't have a two channel station, I would have to have two stations. 

The downside with Weller is the really stupid touch based interface! Particular that "scratch wheel". But for actual use, that's not a problem as there are two presets accessed with push on one button. I also like that the station remember for each pen what preset you set last time you used them.

You have probably figured out many of these things already, but providing my thoughts and input.

Offline lone wolf1

Re: Weller WX Micro Soldering Station vs Weller WX Pico Soldering Station
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2021, 03:21:03 pm »
I have the WX2 station with the WXPP-MS (pico) and WXUP-MS irons and the hot tweezers.
I can tell you that I'm more than happy with it.

What I Like: -
----------------
The irons perform really well. 
The selection of cartridges is excellent.
I can switch tips (cartridges) whilst hot very easily.  Just pull them out by hand and put another in by hand.  No need for any special tools.
The tip to grip distance is very small.
The irons are very light.
The heat-up time is very quick.
The station remembers the settings of each device that is plugged in.  I have more than two devices and when I re-insert another device it remembers the settings from last time.
The cable length on the irons is very long.  Can place it a long distance away from the station if desired.  Something I really do not like the look of on the JBC,  the iron is attached to the station.

Things that are not ideal.
----------------------------
Sometimes the iron goes into standby mode whilst I have it in my hand and I have to shake it a little to wake it back up again.  Timeout is adjustable in the station settings but I keep it the timeout fairly short.
The station touch panel sensitive dial to adjust the temperature is a bit fiddly but I rarely need to use it as I use the two pre-sets (which are programmable).
The station does take a little getting used to.  Once used to it, it's fine.

Conclusion.
I am very happy with it, the minor glitches don't take anything away from the pleasurable experience.  I appreciate that is a personal thing.

With regards to the Pico vs the Micro.
I think the Pico has the shortest tip to grip distance and is the lightest.  It is targeted at soldering under a scope, as an example the chisel tips range from 0.2mm to 1.3mm.  I find it is more than capable of doing the vast majority of soldering especial under a microscope.
The Micro has a broader range of tips than the Pico and I think it has more thermal mass (I can't be sure as I don't own one).  It probably has a slightly longer tip to grip distance too. 
You may be able to get away with only using a Micro.  I went for the Pico (WXPP-MS) and the WXUP-MS for soldering large pads.  The WXUP is the only iron with the huge blade style tips that seem to be popular for large BGA cleanup.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2021, 03:42:21 pm by lone wolf1 »

The following users thanked this post: 4cx10000

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf