Author Topic: What crimping tool do you use for quick connect terminals?  (Read 81790 times)

Online TimNJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
What crimping tool do you use for quick connect terminals?
« on: July 12, 2013, 07:04:21 pm »
Everytime I try to use a quick connect terminal, I swear I can never crimp it correctly. The only tool I've ever tried is one of those el cheapo all in one crimp, cut, and strip tools. I'm not sure if that's the right one.

Does anyone have a recommended crimper that they like to use?

Is something like this appropriate: http://www.amazon.com/Channellock-Cutting-Crimping-Comfort-9-Inch/dp/B000KKJO7U/ref=sr_1_6?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1373656126&sr=1-6&keywords=crimping+pliers
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 07:09:41 pm by TimNJ »

Offline David_AVD

• Super Contributor
Re: What crimping tool do you use for quick connect terminals?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 11:02:53 pm »
What about a ratcheting type like this?  I have a similar one and it works well.

Offline bilko

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 11:18:39 pm »
What about a ratcheting type like this?  I have a similar one and it works well.
+1
You need to use a ratchet crimping tool for consistent crimps

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 11:20:12 pm »
I use a ratcheting type as well, and the particular model allows me to change out the dies to match the terminals I'm using (less expensive than buying separate crimpers for each terminal type you use).

Brochure of what I use (.pdf file:) http://www.pressmaster.se/wp-content/uploads/pdfs/mct_frame_en.pdf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2013, 04:14:43 pm »
Thank you guys. I'll definitely get one like that.

Offline Spunky

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 01:37:55 am »
My crimps always fall off is I use pliers, ratchet tool works every time. Duratool do a cheap one that is actually very good.

Offline WarSim

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 02:53:18 am »
Quick connect was a model name used by Amp long ago and reused by TE more recently.  Today the term Quick and many permutations are used by three companies I know of.  So I am not sure which connector you are referring to. 

Offline MarkL

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2013, 07:18:31 pm »
I like the Paladin Tools (now Greenlee) CrimpAll 1300.  It's a ratchet tool with a zillion different available dies.  It's quality made and will last a lifetime.

There seem to be a lot of tools that look like it (or maybe they're even made by Paladin), but the Paladin-branded ones have thumbscrews for changing out the dies.  The other ones I've seen have Phillips head screws, which makes them pretty inconvenient.

The CrimpAll 8000 is a newer model of the 1300 and takes the same dies:

http://www.digikey.com/us/en/ph/PaladinTools/CrimpAll.html

It can be bought alone or in a starter set with one or more dies sets that you need.  Search around - even Amazon stocks the tool and dies.  The older 1300 can be found on ebay for less.

Offline Smokey

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2013, 08:06:08 pm »

Yes and no.  Ratchet crimpers are awesome and in my opinion the best hand tool for the job.... BUT.....

Be VERY careful what ratchet crimper you get.  I am quite confident that this particular linked tool makes absolutely terrible crimps.  We got one of these Chinese pieces of junk and the jaws aren't even close to being the right size.  The flat areas in between the notches hit way before the crimp is complete.  Plus the notches are too wide so instead of trapping the wire, the crimp just deforms enough to not fall off immediately.  It deforms the crimp, but not enough to stand up to a good pull test.  60% of the crimps pull off easily with a little force.

This is one of those times when you should really pop for a brand name.  Go with Paladin Tools.  They make really good stuff and are not outrageously expensive.

If you want to go SUPER cheap, some of these multiuse stripper/crimper/slicer/dicer/dog washer/etc tools can make acceptable crimps in a pinch.  Just don't expect to do more than a couple without your hand wanting to fall off.  They are handy to have around to cut screws as well.  Just don't try to use the stripper.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2013, 08:37:42 pm »
Be VERY careful what ratchet crimper you get.
I'd have to agree with this.  :-+ Seen a lot of variation between units (apparently poor QC), so some may work properly as it comes out of the package, some don't, but can be brought to proper spec after adjusting, and some not at all at. Even heard of this happening with Paladin (IIRC, there's a few Amazon reviews on this).

I opted to go for a Pressmaster instead, given they're a major ODM for terminal makers (Thomas&Betts, Molex, 3M, and others). Found a model that's reasonable for what it is (~$50 for the frame & dies can be had reasonably from Waytek in the US; they use their own part numbers & don't carry all profiles; balance of dies can be had under Wiha). More expensive than the Asian imports, but they perform properly in my experience (suggest skipping cheap terminals to avoid problems). FWIW, frames are made in Sweden, and the dies are either Swedish or Taiwanese castings, finished in Sweden (machining).

Offline David_AVD

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2013, 10:23:21 pm »
The QC crimp tool I bought was actually this one from Altronics.  It seems to work quite well and is reasonably priced.

I can imagine that there are some very piss poor versions available though.

Offline WarSim

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2013, 12:03:25 am »
Did I miss something or are people recommending a crimper for an unspecified connector? 
There are three general barrel forms in many sizes for the connector style of quick connectors. 
Each of the three styles are designed to be used by three different crimper types. 
Nowhere did I read the barrel type nor the part number. 

Just worried that the tread author is being lead down a rabbit hole on this one due to assumptions. 

Offline Smokey

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2013, 12:18:40 am »
That's a good point.  It would help to know exactly what he is crimping.
In some of our defense though, the good ratchet crimpers take removable dies and the chances of a die being available for whatever that dude wants to crimp is pretty high. 

Offline jebcom

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2013, 12:19:28 am »
For the fast-on spade, ring, fork connectors that you can get at the local hardware store, I used to have a Thomas & Betts tool almost exactly like the Channelock tool in your Link. It has a wider crimp area and so is much better than el cheapo. Tho old tool was lent out and never came back :( and now I have a similar one but Chinese made from Harbor Freight.http://www.harborfreight.com/9-1-2-half-inch-wire-crimping-tool-36411.html

Offline WarSim

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2013, 02:22:53 am »
That's a good point.  It would help to know exactly what he is crimping.
In some of our defense though, the good ratchet crimpers take removable dies and the chances of a die being available for whatever that dude wants to crimp is pretty high.

Very true, I wasn't trying to stop the helping just adding info to make sure it is correct help.  I personally don't have the answer,  we use the Amp kits which have all the tools needed, but I would not recommend it to anyone except a company,  $150,000  is a big cost to swallow. 

I my hobby endeavours I take allot of time looking for the magic mix between connector cost and specified tools cost. 

On the good side I believe the tool style you recommended is not the recommended but is the accepted alternate for two of the styles (solid soft and lapped hardened).  Generally speaking, of course the connector datasheet is right when it disagrees with my generalization. 

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2013, 03:33:40 am »
Hi guys. Thanks for all the responses. The type of terminals I'm talking about are similar to these:

Offline WarSim

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2013, 05:04:38 am »
Can't see the core in the top one but the bottom is obviously a split core.  Using the proper gauge is critical to a good crimp.
The crimper for the bottom one is the type with a flat post in a cup. 

I think the top one is the common type of split core with a hard plastic boot.  If so this one is the DIY type that is built to work poorly with any type of crimper, and great with none.  Some DIYer just use needle nose pliers.  The hand strong crimpers are a bit better. Investing in a ratchet crimper for this one would be a waist IMHO.  If it is a lap or solid disregard.

Offline quarks

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2013, 08:44:32 am »
Hi guys. Thanks for all the responses. The type of terminals I'm talking about are similar to these:

For this type of insulated terminals I use Knipex like this (see Picture).
For best results and if you want to crimp many terminals for many years, you should spend your money for a good tool.

I found tools with easy changeable inserts (like pressmaster suggested from nanofrog) are a very good choice.
Therefore I use Knipex MultiCrimp and their System Pliers and I am very happy with it.
http://www.knipex.com/index.php?id=1216&L=1&page=group_detail&parentID=1299&groupID=1320
http://www.knipex.com/index.php?id=1216&L=1&page=group_detail&parentID=1299&groupID=1322
But there are of course other good brands as well.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 04:44:31 am by quarks »

Offline M. András

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2013, 08:47:39 am »

For this type of insulated terminals I use Knipex like this (see Picture).
For best results and if you want to crimp many terminals for many years, you should spend your money for a good tool.

I found a changeable insert (like pressmaster suggested from nanofrog) are a very good choice.
I bought Knipex MultiCrimp and their System Pliers and I am very happy with it.
http://www.knipex.com/index.php?id=1216&L=1&page=group_detail&parentID=1299&groupID=1320
http://www.knipex.com/index.php?id=1216&L=1&page=group_detail&parentID=1299&groupID=1322
But there are of course other good brand as well.

do i see right all of their ratchet crimping pliers have interchangable dies?, you can ignore the original writing on the tool itself if the die can be changed, but however when i last checked the prices of their dies it was almost equal to a new tool

Offline quarks

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2013, 08:58:44 am »
in principal they are, but there is a big difference in convenience/speed when changing
MultiCrimp is just one click and the System is just loosing the screw, while with all others you have to totally unscrew both screws.   

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2013, 05:04:29 pm »
While Knipex tools are wonderful, this particular pair of pliers is $400...

But I'll look for a cheaper alternative that has those dies.

Offline M. András

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2013, 07:00:13 pm »
in principal they are, but there is a big difference in convenience/speed when changing
MultiCrimp is just one click and the System is just loosing the screw, while with all others you have to totally unscrew both screws.
which die is the multicrimp?
the other is their crimp system range right? which is basicly the same as a stand alone

Offline quarks

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2013, 07:14:25 pm »
While Knipex tools are wonderful, this particular pair of pliers is $400...

But I'll look for a cheaper alternative that has those dies.

If you only want to crimp the insulated ones from above you can of course find and get a lot cheaper tools.

But as soon as you want to crimp also other connector types I found it is worth to invest in better tools.

BTW I was not aware that the Knipex price in US is so high. I do not remember what I exactly paid but I think it was around 200 € for the MultiCrimp with 5 dies. That makes less than 40 € for one die. I think that is a fair price for this top quality tool.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 07:17:52 pm by quarks »

Offline M. András

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2013, 07:20:59 pm »
its 100k huf here which is around 300ish euro

Offline quarks

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2013, 07:23:37 pm »
which die is the multicrimp?
the other is their crimp system range right? which is basicly the same as a stand alone
MultiCrimp die is the bottom one
The top one is from System Plier
For the other crimp tools I think all have only a hole (see picture) and therefore cannot just be pushed in
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 04:42:09 am by quarks »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf