Products > Other Equipment & Products

What do people weigh their iron stands down with?

(1/2) > >>

killingtime:
Hi,

I've got an Antex bakelite iron stand. Not expensive, but it works, and I like the large sponge. The problem with it being plastic is that it's light and I always end up pushing it round the bench. Sometimes the weight of the cable seems like it could tip the stand over. So what do people weigh their stands down with? I've tried wood but it's not heavy enough. Don't want to glue \ screw it to the desk as it needs to be portable. I could 3d print a box and fill with sand I suppose. Just interested to see what others have done.

Thanks.

srb1954:
If it has any internal cavities fill them with cement. Otherwise fabricate a bracket to hold a roll of solder on the back - that should provide plenty of weight.

coppice:
If you want a good iron stand you need an iron one, like this https://en.goot.jp/products/detail/st_11 Cheap, simple, in production for decades, and I've never seen one tip over.

thm_w:
Photo would help.
Gluing large steel washers inside the bottom may be an option.

--- Quote from: coppice on March 30, 2023, 09:24:23 pm ---If you want a good iron stand you need an iron one, like this https://en.goot.jp/products/detail/st_11 Cheap, simple, in production for decades, and I've never seen one tip over.

--- End quote ---

Needs more brass wool.

jwet:
I use a square of hot rolled steel, just a 4x4" x 1/4" scrap.  I sanded it on a belt sander to knock the knife edges and rust off.  I use some magnetic widgets with it- Amazon stuff, one is a iron stand.  I have a thinner steel plate that came with the mag widgets.  The thicker steel really attracts magnets.  I have several irons that I keep on a shelf below my bench (you can see in pic attached somewhat) and have this holder on my bench for the job at hand- a pics attached.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version