Author Topic: What is the name of this 5 axis positioning tool?  (Read 5538 times)

Offline GreggTopic starter

• Super Contributor
What is the name of this 5 axis positioning tool?
« on: January 09, 2019, 07:04:54 am »
It may not be electronics gear.   :-//
I’m trying to clear out the estate of a friend and came across this 5 way adjustable positioning tool that may have been used to position a laser.  It doesn’t look like it can clamp things for lathe or milling machine uses very easily.  There is lots of diverse talent on this forum and I thought somebody might know more about it.   
Thanks for looking.

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
Re: What is the name of this 5 axis positioning tool?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2019, 07:28:06 am »
The XY version is called a coordinate table. So this is more advanced coordinate table.
Alex

Offline DTJ

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2019, 08:08:13 am »
Perhaps used as a jig for sharpening tools or cutting bits?

It does not look rigid enough for removing too much metal on a mill.

If you use usenet, try posting on rec.crafts.metalworking
There are heaps of old guys there who will know exactly what its for.

Online Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2019, 10:00:49 am »
It's a [Edit: 3 4]-axis slide for milling isn't it?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 12:14:04 pm by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2019, 11:04:05 am »
Perhaps used as a jig for sharpening tools or cutting bits?
It does not look rigid enough for removing too much metal on a mill.
more like a legendary (classic) 4 axis milling technology. its under various name in ebay, sliding, positioning, trimming table etc. but one thing in common is... "4 axis" (XYZA). the later technology is more like one of this...

the more more current is 5 axis (XYZAC) or probably more... dont waste your time asking for the price...

http://tecshop.dksh.com.sg/product/alzmetall-gs-1000-vmc
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2019, 11:15:30 am »
It's got a vice/clamp on it, so I'd probably call it a 5-axis vice or 5-axis clamp. Shame it's not self-centering.

Offline trevatxtal

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2019, 04:38:30 pm »
It looks similar to a Myford Lathe milling attachment.
Look at http://www.lathes.co.uk/

Offline coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2019, 04:44:29 pm »
yea that is too beefy and crusty for lasers.

It looks like a add-on tool for a lathe or milling machine that came in project catalogs back in the old days.

check out mrpete222 on youtube, he is a youtube machine shop teacher that goes into some details about these kinds of attachments, their design goals, drawbacks, etc, and he actually does some comparison. the idea was that you can make your machine do crazy stuff with attachments but it won't be very accurate. But he does have like 1000 videos so you might need to look, I have seen something similar for a atlas lathe.

The problem with this thing is that it is not very stiff, so unless you are doing light work it will vibrate and bend and cause errors. I have a feeling that it would work pretty good so long you are not trying to make precision mechanical devices. I think it would work on a drill press for making holes at weird angles in a repeatable way without a jig.

The big degree indicator bands are potentially a sign of good quality though.

nevermind its just dirty, it has no indicators as far as I can tell.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 04:50:26 pm by coppercone2 »

The following users thanked this post: cdev

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2019, 06:33:25 pm »
 Seems pretty beefy from the photos, there's even that reinforcing rib on the Z axis. And probably a fairly decent piece as well, those screws with nuts on them along each access are for adjusting the gibs. Fairly old, since they are all slotted screws, all the machine tools I worked with int he 80's had cap head screws even for that, except the really old stuff we had in the shop.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2019, 06:42:16 pm »
I thought it may have been an old school laser mount because the device was in the estate of a friend that was a scientific instrument maker for the physics department at UC Berkeley.  He also had a nice machine shop at his home. Some of the items he had seemed to be surplus things from his work environment that he probably thought he could use or things he thought were too neat to scrap. 
I’ll have to take some better pictures but I believe there are index marks for all moving planes.  The clamp part is quite shallow but very sturdy.  Some of the early lasers were quite heavy and in a well-funded scientific scenario this might have been a very expensive (to us taxpayers) laser accessory that became obsolete quickly. 
Tom Lipton of youtube OxTools https://www.youtube.com/user/oxtoolco/videos looked at it and thought it was neat but couldn’t confirm that it was a lathe or milling machine attachment he had ever seen.   

Offline chris_leyson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2019, 07:05:40 pm »
Looks pretty decent, nice bit of cast iron and fairly rigid, definately old school. It looks like it might have been used as part of a grinder for tool making, somewhere between a bench grinder and a surface grinder, just a wild guess. Wouldn't be much use as an arbor press as they use a rack and pinion.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2019, 07:24:25 pm »
It's a multi axis vise. A very solid looking, extraordinarily flexible but still quite mainstream, not esoteric vise.

Very much something that anybody who was an expert maker would find it very useful to have.
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline eKretz

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2019, 03:17:29 pm »
It's probably for a tool and cutter grinder. Nowhere near rigid enough to use on a machine tool. Notice the slides have no locking mechanism. That means the slop will be magnified the higher you go. This is purely a positioning device, might be able to do a little grinding with it.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 04:29:49 pm by eKretz »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2019, 09:41:47 pm »
I cleaned up the device, it had dirt stuck to grease that kept it from rusting, and took a few more pictures.  The rotating elements are interchangeable and lock with two locks each for three point clamping; the Z axis has a gibb clamp; the other slides do not lock, but could easily be made to lock.  This suggests to me that it was designed to be used with the mounting plate anchored to a horizontal surface.  It weighs 33 pounds.
If anyone on the forum has a use for this, please let me know.  Thanks for looking.

Offline eKretz

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2019, 04:26:45 am »
You might get lucky and find someone who has whatever T&C grinder it came from, but that'll be a long shot. The X/Y positioning slide setup could be handy as well in a drill press without the gangly vertical bit.

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2019, 05:08:59 am »
If anyone on the forum has a use for this, please let me know.  Thanks for looking.
well people will always find a use for anything, there are even few people here like to collecting stamps to collect dust. the only question is the price? ;) thats a nice 5-axis equipment btw.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2019, 05:28:49 am »
well people will always find a use for anything, there are even few people here like to collecting stamps to collect dust. the only question is the price? ;) thats a nice 5-axis equipment btw.
If you want it, make me an offer.  I was asking what it is called to possibly list it on fleabay.  The proceeds from the estate of my friend are all going toward a scholarship fund for graduate students.  I would much rather have it go to an EEV blog forum member with minimal hassle than bother with the infamous ebay. 
As far as stamp collecting goes: My father was an avid stamp collector and had file cabinets full of unused sheets of stamps that he put in the basement where they got damp and glued themselves together and now they aren't even worth face value.  Sometimes it is sad how life goes on with or without us.

Offline coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2019, 10:55:50 am »
it might be the stupidest hack ever but you can probably just put it on a cheap drill press in your house if you lower the bed enough and mount another vice in the top part.

i think you need to put indicator bands on it to use it well though. otherwise it will just be too annoying to use IMO.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 11:04:46 am by coppercone2 »

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2019, 10:59:38 am »
I would much rather have it go to an EEV blog forum member with minimal hassle than bother with the infamous ebay.
list it in eevblog buy/sell/wanted section with your asking price, so we have a bit of clue. if i am to put the price, trust me you are going to have pale face (because i have to factored in shipping cost of it)

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2019, 01:49:40 pm »
Try Steve Summers on Youtube, he will have a use for it, as he does do tool grinding and this will work with his setup.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjrGHSAkAN0ac8aVejwPBvA

Offline rhb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2019, 01:56:26 pm »
That's the fanciest drill press vise I've ever seen.  Are there any markings other than the graduations?  The two long square head screws are intended for holding a toolmakers vise with the workpiece.  This is intended to let you drill a series of holes at precise locations and angular relationships.

The next step up from this is a couple thousand for a rotary table, sine table and spin indexer to mount on a milling machine.

Consider drilling a sprayer head where you want several circles of jets with each ring of jets at a different angle from the vertical.  That's the sort of task this is meant for.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2019, 02:57:43 pm »
It looks way too big for my drill press.

But there are a lot of things I bet it would be super useful for.

Antennas, like making the crucial biconical or discone antenna "cone" holding part with exactly the right angles, properly.

Can't 3D print metal except maybe using some kind of lost wax/sand casting process.

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2019, 03:35:21 pm »
Can't 3D print metal except maybe using some kind of lost wax/sand casting process.

SpaceX has been 3D printing metal rocket engine parts for 5 years now. The hardware isn't cheap, but the results are impressive. Stuff that's impossible with other methods.

There are companies trying to make versions that are cheap enough for the hobby market, but they aren't there yet. Unless you're a very rich hobbyist.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2019, 03:52:36 pm »
Maybe someday we will print circuits as needed, molecule by molecule! Wouldn't that be great!

Offline eKretz

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2019, 08:32:28 pm »
That's the fanciest drill press vise I've ever seen.  Are there any markings other than the graduations?  The two long square head screws are intended for holding a toolmakers vise with the workpiece.  This is intended to let you drill a series of holes at precise locations and angular relationships.

The next step up from this is a couple thousand for a rotary table, sine table and spin indexer to mount on a milling machine.

Consider drilling a sprayer head where you want several circles of jets with each ring of jets at a different angle from the vertical.  That's the sort of task this is meant for.

Nope, not a drill press vise. This is a grinding fixture for sure. They're called universal grinding fixtures or universal grinding vises. There's a model that was popular back when called a "Uni-Vise" - examples are still available on eBay pretty frequently. This would flex way too much for drilling holes at "precise" locations. (Drilling is not a precision operation by any means even with rigid equipment). The two square head screws are meant to hold whatever you want to mount in the "vise" - this is how they did it way back when to keep things simple and light. If you Google image search "tool and cutter grinder" you'll see plenty of examples of these "screw vises" in use holding workpieces. Way too tall to fit under most drill presses too.

Could conceivably have been used for very very light duty milling or drilling work while bolted to the cross slide of a lathe as well.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 08:37:07 pm by eKretz »

The following users thanked this post: Gregg

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf