Author Topic: What KSGER T12 to get?  (Read 7180 times)

Offline SikatorTopic starter

• Contributor
What KSGER T12 to get?
« on: July 10, 2021, 10:32:53 pm »
I'm about to buy myself a KSGER T12 and i am a little curious other than the mini versions which one to get. for example here: https://www.aliexpress.com/store/group/STM32-V3-1S-Station/1486111_516916735.html?spm=a2g0o.store_pc_home.pcShopHead_6041349.1_0_2

Offline BlackICE

• Regular Contributor
Re: What KSGER T12 to get?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2021, 02:44:06 am »
I would go for one with a handle that doesn't require you to turn a collar to change the tips and a short tip to handle length. I don't value the clone tips much and would by real Hakko tips.

Online tatel

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2021, 09:46:16 am »
Are you going to put custom firmware on it? If so, perhaps you should consider Quicko.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32994824865.html

There's a big thread about T12 clones with lots of information.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/stm32-oled-digital-soldering-station-for-t12-handle/

There's a whole bunch of Ksger owners using custom firmware. See:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/stm32-oled-digital-soldering-station-for-t12-handle/msg3601664/#msg3601664

IIRC (I don't own any) some Ksger boards update the screen via software I2C, others would use hardware I2C.There are other differences between Ksger versions. Generally speaking, Quickos have better hardware and are somewhat cheaper. They are faster as they use hardware SPI. Since the developer owns a Quicko, they are somewhat better supported. Also, they come now with a CKS MCU so it's easier to back up original firmware, just in case. They work the same as with the original STM32.

However, if you are going to go ahead with original firmware, perhaps Ksger's is better than Quicko's. Not sure about it, though.

The following users thanked this post: Sikator, FransW

Offline totalnoob

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2021, 02:33:44 pm »
I bought the KSGER 3.1 about a year ago, but I have been reading that KSGER's have been having issues, as of a couple of months ago. There have been some complaints about runaway temperatures where the tips overshoot the temperature and will actually glow red.  Mine has had no such problems.  I'm not sure what's been changed since I purchased mine, if anything.

I am using the stock FW and it works well for me.  The pre-set calibrations for the T12 clone tips that I have are right on the money as far as temp shown vs. actual temp at the tip (I have an FG-100 clone to test tip temperatures), although I have read that some people have had issues with real Hakko tips and others have not, so if you plan to use real Hakko's you may want to consider the Quicko and the CFW.  I'd say if you are only going to use clone T12 tips, there's no real reason to use a custom FW, IMHO, unless the one that comes with the newer KSGER's is as buggy as I have seen reported lately.  If you would like to have the flexibility to use other tips, like JBC, then I would have to agree that you should look at the Quicko suggested in the CFW thread by DavidAlfa because the CFW that he developed works best with those stations.  Yes, it does work with the KSGER's but as I follow that thread, there are some anomalies that are peculiar to the KSGER's and since DA bought the Quicko and does not have the KSGER, he cannot directly troubleshoot the issues, and since you have not bought the station, yet, why not just go with the one that works best with the CFW if you plan on using it? 

One thing to keep in mind is selection of handle.  I have the SS one and it works well enough, my main complaint is that there's no indication to know you pushed the tip in far enough, its real easy to push the guts out the back end because you pushed too far.  If they could make it so there's a definite feel you're seated or an audible click, it'd be a good handle, IMHO.  There's discussions on handles in that CFW thread as well.  If you plan to use clone tips, keep in mind that they take a few minutes to "break in" before the station gets an accurate tip temperature reading.  There have been many discussions on that.  Once broken in, as I said earlier, the pre-set calibrations work well with the clone tips, at least those few that came with the unit I bought.

The following users thanked this post: Sikator, FransW

Offline SteveyG

• Supporter
  • Soldering Equipment Guru
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2021, 03:04:39 pm »
I would highly recommend this style: https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/_As65nu or https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/_A30WDY

It's a lot safer since you can control the 24V power supply. Many of the integrated ones have some serious safety issues and it's not always apparent which ones are good.
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/sdgelectronics/
Use code: “SDG5” to get 5% off JBC Equipment at Kaisertech

The following users thanked this post: Sikator, labjr

Offline SikatorTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2021, 08:07:21 am »
Are you going to put custom firmware on it? If so, perhaps you should consider Quicko.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32994824865.html

There's a big thread about T12 clones with lots of information.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/stm32-oled-digital-soldering-station-for-t12-handle/

There's a whole bunch of Ksger owners using custom firmware. See:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/stm32-oled-digital-soldering-station-for-t12-handle/msg3601664/#msg3601664

I bought the KSGER 3.1 about a year ago, but I have been reading that KSGER's have been having issues, as of a couple of months ago. There have been some complaints about runaway temperatures where the tips overshoot the temperature and will actually glow red.  Mine has had no such problems.  I'm not sure what's been changed since I purchased mine, if anything.

I am using the stock FW and it works well for me.  The pre-set calibrations for the T12 clone tips that I have are right on the money as far as temp shown vs. actual temp at the tip (I have an FG-100 clone to test tip temperatures), although I have read that some people have had issues with real Hakko tips and others have not, so if you plan to use real Hakko's you may want to consider the Quicko and the CFW.  I'd say if you are only going to use clone T12 tips, there's no real reason to use a custom FW, IMHO, unless the one that comes with the newer KSGER's is as buggy as I have seen reported lately.  If you would like to have the flexibility to use other tips, like JBC, then I would have to agree that you should look at the Quicko suggested in the CFW thread by DavidAlfa because the CFW that he developed works best with those stations.  Yes, it does work with the KSGER's but as I follow that thread, there are some anomalies that are peculiar to the KSGER's and since DA bought the Quicko and does not have the KSGER, he cannot directly troubleshoot the issues, and since you have not bought the station, yet, why not just go with the one that works best with the CFW if you plan on using it? 

One thing to keep in mind is selection of handle.  I have the SS one and it works well enough, my main complaint is that there's no indication to know you pushed the tip in far enough, its real easy to push the guts out the back end because you pushed too far.  If they could make it so there's a definite feel you're seated or an audible click, it'd be a good handle, IMHO.  There's discussions on handles in that CFW thread as well.  If you plan to use clone tips, keep in mind that they take a few minutes to "break in" before the station gets an accurate tip temperature reading.  There have been many discussions on that.  Once broken in, as I said earlier, the pre-set calibrations work well with the clone tips, at least those few that came with the unit I bought.

IIRC (I don't own any) some Ksger boards update the screen via software I2C, others would use hardware I2C.There are other differences between Ksger versions. Generally speaking, Quickos have better hardware and are somewhat cheaper. They are faster as they use hardware SPI. Since the developer owns a Quicko, they are somewhat better supported. Also, they come now with a CKS MCU so it's easier to back up original firmware, just in case. They work the same as with the original STM32.

However, if you are going to go ahead with original firmware, perhaps Ksger's is better than Quicko's. Not sure about it, though.

Wow this is interesting. I will have to look into this. The Quicko is also cheaper hmm.
I was recommended by a guy that solders as a job to get real Hakko tips, he hated the ones that came with the KSGER's. But i think I'm going to go custom firmware and a Quicko now and also look into burn-in of the tips which is also new for me. I have pretty much just played around with 30w and 60w irons and bad gear in general. I'm in a learning process atm so I would like something sort of simple to use so I can actually get into the work rather than fiddle and look for ages for equipment.

I am currently trying to find  Sponges (Found on ali), Sodler tip cleaner, a decent stand for the iron handle, easy clean and rosin flux, brass cleaners (some on ali are branded brass some are branded nothing as of metals used!) and lastly where i would go about finding real Hakko tips and all of this for a decent price.

Offline FransW

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2021, 02:02:07 pm »
Hi all,

I am looking for a multi-handle, -tip & -power solution in a modular fashion, including de-soldering.

Since all the currnetly offered soldering stations operate on more or less the same principles it should not be impoosible to come to an acceptable solution without binding yourself to a single supplier and be confronted with pricing consequences that are more or less unacceptable.

I have ordered the populated unisolder 5.2c boards and feel comfortable to reach many of my wishes while using currently a JBC and a Weller station.

The unisolder is more expensive than the ones discussed here, but a lengthy thread controlled by not as many participants with  multiple insights, preferences and inconclusive thought processes as found here.

However, I am thankfull for all contributions since they force me to think about all these opinions.

Thank you all,  Frans
PE1CCN, Systems Engineering, HP, Philips, TEK, BRYMAN, Fluke, Keithley

Offline SteveyG

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2021, 05:05:32 pm »
I'm currently in the process of bringing up the 5.2 UniSolder PCB, however the layout is pretty poor as is the BOM, so I suspect I may redesign it in a way that is compatible with the original firmware.

Tonight I'll find out if the PCB blows up  ::)

The following users thanked this post: FransW

Offline Urshurak776

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2021, 08:17:41 pm »
I think it depends on what level of effort you want to give.  If you don't want to deal with cracking open the case, get one of the above recommended ones and furnish your own power supply.

I went with the 2.1s from Bangood.  Replaced the 82uf (18mm X 25mm - 400V) and the two 1000uf (10mm X 20mm - 35V) caps with better quality ones.  Grounded the case and clipped the heatsink covering the live trace.  I also applied thermal paste to the chips attached to the heatsinks.  Finally, cleaned the board really good (all the flux.)

Didn't take but 1/2 hour or so.  I have been using the station for almost a year and works great.

YMMV.  Good luck.  I think they're great solder stations for hobbyist and home use.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2021, 08:21:35 pm by Urshurak776 »

The following users thanked this post: SteveyG, FransW, Mbartrum

Offline SteveyG

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2021, 10:18:51 pm »
I only had the KSGER system before, so I've ordered the Quicko to try the custom firmware on. Also a cheap and a genuine Hakko T12 5.2mm tip to see if there is any difference.

Offline mastershake

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2021, 10:40:48 pm »
i have 5 ksgers in use in different areas. i have had no real issues with them. i have both the ones with the attached psu and the "mini" one with the external 24v one both function identical. i personally prefer v3.1s myself. imo if this is all you want to spend they work well enough for most things. and with the custom firmware available here on the forum i like them even more. i also have a firmware for v3.1 that did fix a few of the small issues the stock ksger one had but it does go by a different brand name i can upload it here or its in the t12 custom firmware thread. ive been using them for nearly a year no issues except the random tip going out (china tips) the real hakko ones seem to be doing great.

Offline bobbydazzler

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2021, 10:15:13 pm »
I just received the 2.1s version a few days ago and as a soldering station it's awesome(fast heatup, lots of functions to set it up, works fine with a t12 d12 knockoff tip besides the displayed temp being under what I experience - I can still melt 60/40 solder at 150c). 
Before I received it I was just concerned about the 400v capacitor being too big for the case and getting punctured and also the 3.3v battery sitting on the transformer and getting crushed by the case.  I opened it up when I first received mine and it had none of those problems, though I didn't check the clearance between the hot side and the diode heatsink and also didn't check if chassis was grounded( I hadn't seen enough reviews of the t12 to know they were problems too).
Considering all that I kinda wish I got the mini version without the included psu and supplied my own, and I couldn't recommend anyone to get the version with the included psu.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf