Products > Other Equipment & Products

What Router Do You Use (upd 2023)?

<< < (4/5) > >>

PlainName:

--- Quote ---I finally stopped using an old PC as a router and got a PC Engines apu4d4 onto which I installed OPNsense which is a fork of pfSense.
--- End quote ---

I went the other way - used to use and specify PC Engines (got five early-ish AMD models if anyone needs some) but switched to what's essentially a PC in a plain industrial  box. Main reason was speed and cheapness - the PC is just as reliable but easily replaced if necessary for peanuts. (pfSense on all of them.)

mapleLC:

--- Quote from: TomWinTejas on January 31, 2023, 03:31:46 am ---
--- Quote ---I dont have the control of my internet connection like you seem to.  I have a fiber connection through the highly restrictive ATT US service.

The router I need takes the WAN connection from the provided ATT router ( CANT CHANGE IT UGH )

--- End quote ---

You can remove the AT&T router from the equation in most circumstances.  I've got 1G UVerse FTTH and do 802.1x EAP straight from my Ubiquiti Edgerouter 4... the only catch is that you have to have the proper certificates.  You can extract them from the router they provided, which most people on here should be able to do... or you can buy them off people on eBay who have done the work for you.  Others have done the same with pfsense or opnsense, so you're not limited to Ubiquiti... lots of platforms support 802.1x EAP.

I've also recently seen others have had luck using a ONT SFP directly in their Edgerouter and copying the serial number off their AT&T provided ONT and not even needing to do 802.1x EAP at all.  I haven't yet tried this, but it's on my to-do list.

--- End quote ---

You're tempting me into that rabbit hole again.

At this point, I would gladly pay someone that could help me do it remotely in a fashion that I could take it over, sure why not.  If anyone, including yourself, is interested in doing it, PM me.

Otherwise, I don't have the Linux skillset yet to set this up in a reliable fashion on my own.

David Hess:

--- Quote from: PlainName on January 31, 2023, 05:58:15 pm ---
--- Quote ---I finally stopped using an old PC as a router and got a PC Engines apu4d4 onto which I installed OPNsense which is a fork of pfSense.
--- End quote ---

I went the other way - used to use and specify PC Engines (got five early-ish AMD models if anyone needs some) but switched to what's essentially a PC in a plain industrial  box. Main reason was speed and cheapness - the PC is just as reliable but easily replaced if necessary for peanuts. (pfSense on all of them.)
--- End quote ---

The various router distributions discontinued support for 32 bit processors and I did not have any spare 64 bit systems, so the PC Engines hardware was actually my least expensive option, plus it had some advantages like low power requirements and ECC memory.

JohanH:

--- Quote from: mapleLC on January 29, 2023, 01:19:57 am ---I was searching the forum for router recommendations, and came across this old thread.  I think it deserves an update.  I have retired my Ubiquiti

--- End quote ---

Which model of Ubiquiti? I'm still using an Ubiquiti ERLite-3, works fine up to one gigabit up and down on my fiber connection. I have a managed box by my ISP for my fiber, but they set a port to bridged when I asked for it, so I can use my own router. But the ERLite-3 is becoming old and I've been thinking what to replace it with if it breaks down. One option is the ER-4, because I like the platform. But the ER-4 hasn't been in stock for a long time, even though it's listed.

Btw, don't confuse the Edgerouters with their Unifi line of products. The Edgerouters are built on Debian and Vyatta and are very capable.

Maybe Mikrotik is the only similar affordable platform.

The PC Engines line of products look tempting, mainly for their low power usage (6-10W). Otherwise a standard PC in a small box would suffice. An ARM is too slow for routing (AFAIK). I scrapped my Linksys and Asus routers a long time ago.

mapleLC:

--- Quote from: JohanH on February 01, 2023, 08:19:54 am ---
--- Quote from: mapleLC on January 29, 2023, 01:19:57 am ---I was searching the forum for router recommendations, and came across this old thread.  I think it deserves an update.  I have retired my Ubiquiti

--- End quote ---

Which model of Ubiquiti? I'm still using an Ubiquiti ERLite-3, works fine up to one gigabit up and down on my fiber connection. I have a managed box by my ISP for my fiber, but they set a port to bridged when I asked for it, so I can use my own router. But the ERLite-3 is becoming old and I've been thinking what to replace it with if it breaks down. One option is the ER-4, because I like the platform. But the ER-4 hasn't been in stock for a long time, even though it's listed.

Btw, don't confuse the Edgerouters with their Unifi line of products. The Edgerouters are built on Debian and Vyatta and are very capable.

Maybe Mikrotik is the only similar affordable platform.

The PC Engines line of products look tempting, mainly for their low power usage (6-10W). Otherwise a standard PC in a small box would suffice. An ARM is too slow for routing (AFAIK). I scrapped my Linksys and Asus routers a long time ago.

--- End quote ---

I have an EdgeRouter POE, with 5 ports.  Its a good router, but my problem is with the company's policies and what they did to my perfectly serviceable UNIFI wifi system - idiotic upgrades disabling the roaming features. I had no idea it happened after I had a bunch of complainers at my home, after I finally figured it out, I had spent hours trying to track down a network problem that didn't exist.

So Ubiquiti can F-right-off in my book.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version