Author Topic: Which budget T12 soldering ststion?  (Read 9468 times)

Offline IAmBackTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Which budget T12 soldering ststion?
« on: December 20, 2021, 04:14:39 pm »
I'm looking for Your recomendations.
KSGER, OSS, Kailiwei... Or nevermind?
Regards.
Martin

Offline PKTKS

• Super Contributor
Re: Which budget T12 soldering ststion?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2021, 04:24:42 pm »
There is also QUICKO  which fits nicely...

They have affordable TIPs and the hardware is
pretty much as good as the others..

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32839523934.html

Paul

Offline ledtester

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2021, 04:37:18 pm »
There is a megathread on this forum on a custom firmware that is available for these stations:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/stm32-oled-digital-soldering-station-for-t12-handle/

Here is a recent post in that thread asking about current recommendations:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/stm32-oled-digital-soldering-station-for-t12-handle/msg3801572/#msg3801572

One point that seems to come up a lot is the type of handle that you get. It may be possible to buy separate handle that is compatible with your station.

Offline Momoware

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2021, 10:41:07 pm »
The later Quecoo versions (956, 958, 959) seem to have improved internals that address the case grounding, trace covering, tip grounding, and various issues raised about other iterations of T12 stations. I have a 959 (the latest version with an updated display) arriving in January. Someone reported that the default firmware on 959 doesn't let you save calibration profiles; I'll have to check that myself.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2021, 10:42:43 pm by Momoware »

Offline bobcat2000

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2021, 09:06:59 pm »
Is this cheap enough for a T12 station that come with 2 tips and 2 stands for 20 clams?

https://www.amazon.com/Soldering-Function-Adjustable-Temperature-Ergonomic/dp/B08NDH4Q2T

Offline Caliaxy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2021, 11:46:49 pm »
Is this cheap enough for a T12 station that come with 2 tips and 2 stands for 20 clams?

https://www.amazon.com/Soldering-Function-Adjustable-Temperature-Ergonomic/dp/B08NDH4Q2T

That’s suspiciously cheap - everything (including two T12 tips) for the price of two T12 tips… Do you own one? Is it good?

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2021, 11:46:58 pm »

That is very cheap. The price is over $50 on the official store: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33023257869.html
I paid more than that for their mini version, its decent. One issue is the seller modified the firmware to always reset to 300C after power off, because they said too many people burned tips :palm:
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline bobcat2000

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2021, 12:49:03 am »
Yes, I ordered and used it for couple hours.
Worked great except that I was not used to those 2 tiny T12 tips.  It came with a BL and a K tips.
The BL tip is too small but the K tip is too big for me.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2021, 01:35:43 am »
Yes, I ordered and used it for couple hours.
Worked great except that I was not used to those 2 tiny T12 tips.  It came with a BL and a K tips.
The BL tip is too small but the K tip is too big for me.

Get a KU tip if you like the knife but its just too big.
Wonder why they are discounting it so much.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline ledtester

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2021, 02:15:47 am »

That is very cheap. The price is over $50 on the official store: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33023257869.html
I paid more than that for their mini version, its decent. One issue is the seller modified the firmware to always reset to 300C after power off, because they said too many people burned tips :palm:

From the aliexpress listing...  love "the higher the temperature the greater the beating!"  :-DD

NOTE:

Iron tip do not work continuously high temperature, high temperature work is easy to damage the tip! Ordinary solder melting point is 183°C, lead-free solder melting point is 227°C, usually the welding temperature is 300-380°C, 380°C is the temperature of the dividing line, higher than 380°C, iron head oxidation and loss is extremely fast, seriously affect the heating core life The Higher than 380°C temperature display will be beating, the higher the temperature, the greater the beating!Recommended in the 300-380°C for welding work, most of the work can be carried out, the temperature beating is normal, does not affect the use! The soldering iron used in this soldering station is a brand new soldering iron tip. Due to the unstable resistance of the new soldering iron tip, the temperature will jump or ERROR, which is normal. After several times of use, the stability will gradually stabilize. If you mind, please do not buy.

Offline MimCom

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2021, 08:39:19 pm »
I have a 959 (the latest version with an updated display) arriving in January.

I have a 945 coming in January.

Looking forward to seeing what you think of the 959.  CFW might need tweaks for the color screen?

Offline B83C

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2022, 11:18:03 pm »
So how well did it operate? Does it have the STM32 as advertised?

Offline ltek

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2022, 06:46:15 pm »
How is the T12-959 working?  Does it work with custom firmware from David?

Online DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2022, 07:28:44 pm »
Don't be lazy asking the same thing for 1000th time, read the Readme at github... "Compatibility".
Hantek DSO2x1x            Drive        FAQ          DON'T BUY HANTEK! (Aka HALF-MADE)
Stm32 Soldering FW      Forum      Github      Donate

Offline apheon

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2022, 12:12:57 am »
The later Quecoo versions (956, 958, 959) seem to have improved internals that address the case grounding, trace covering, tip grounding, and various issues raised about other iterations of T12 stations.
Any proof for that? When looking at AliExpress images - both marketing and buyer ones - I see no grounding wire from the C13 connector to chassis.

As others pointed out, it'd be really neat to hear an update regarding this.

Quecoo and KSGER stations are nearly half the price of an Aixun T3A, so not having to spend that extra cash would be appreciated if Quecoo models have the grounding issues resolved.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 12:19:56 am by apheon »

Offline MaxQ

« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2022, 03:39:01 am »
The later Quecoo versions (956, 958, 959) seem to have improved internals that address the case grounding, trace covering, tip grounding, and various issues raised about other iterations of T12 stations.
Any proof for that? When looking at AliExpress images - both marketing and buyer ones - I see no grounding wire from the C13 connector to chassis.

As others pointed out, it'd be really neat to hear an update regarding this.

I messaged Quecoo a bunch about the safety and grounding issues that have come up in the past, and can speak specifically on the 955 and 959 since those were the ones I was interested in, though they do reuse the same boards in other units so it likely applies to many other models. Just make sure to check customer pictures/ask the seller, as the display pictures on the site for some models show no iron tip grounding wire on the connector, but recent customer photos show its been upgraded to include one.

So at least for the 955 and 959: the tip is grounded properly and ESD safe for the majority of work, and the board design seems to be good and free from issues like many of the KSGER versions.

BUT: None of the Quecoo chassis are grounded. If you want a safe, grounded chassis on any of their aluminum cased models, you will need to ground the chassis yourself which, while annoying, is a simple task. They do have a plastic/acrylic case model called the Q19 which you could avoid the issue altogether with, but it doesn't have an STM32 as far as I'm aware. They don't have a plastic case STM32 model currently.

I did a large amount of research on these units to ensure the safety for myself and, from what I've gathered, you can get a Quecoo 955 or 959 (or likely others if you prefer) and all you will need to do is ground the chassis to have it ESD safe and safe for the user in the case something comes loose inside. I went for a 955 over the 959 because its compatible with David's firmware, is a more documented unit/style in general, and also just looks nicer imo than the LCD.

I just ordered it so I don't have a personal account of the safety but I did check everything i was concerned about with Quecoo and it should be good to go after I ground the case.

Offline ledtester

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2022, 02:28:53 pm »
I suppose another option is the 942 versions which are powered from an external power supply (like a laptop brick).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf