Author Topic: Who knows Greenlee multimeters?  (Read 23115 times)

Offline thiloTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Who knows Greenlee multimeters?
« on: July 21, 2011, 06:46:35 pm »
Hi,

I've discovered a multimeter manufacturer called Greenlee (www.greenlee.com). They have a rather interesting multimeter that is available for sale at least in Germany on august 25th. It's the dm-860a (http://www.mygreenlee.com/GreenleeDotCom/Whats%20New/SupportFiles/pdfs/MA5591%20DM-860A%20Datta%20Sheet.pdf) and they also offer it in a calibrated variant called the dm-860a-c.

Has anybody ever heard of Greenline? And are there meters any good? The resolution of this meter is awesome, but the specs don't mention the +digits error. Which is anfortunate, because you can't really tell if the 500,000 counts are just a wank feature.

Thanks,

Thilo.

Offline patb

• Regular Contributor
Re: Who knows Greenlee multimeters?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 07:15:52 pm »
It seems like another re-badge of Brymen DMM. http://brymen.com/product-html/cata860/Bm860s.htm (yeah, I know - their web page is like from year 1993). I saw a couple of other Brymen DMMs re-badged as Amprobe or Extech IIRC. I have model BM857a and I am very happy about it. It was very good value for money when I bought it 2 years ago.

What is the price of DM-860?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 07:22:47 pm »
In Germany it's listed as 340€ including 19% taxes. The calibrated version is listed on amazon.com as $444.

Offline patb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 07:43:07 pm »
Hmmm... probably not cheap. Take a look at http://www.tme.eu - they have Brymen branded DMMs. I see BM867 and BM869 for 120 EUR and 172 EUR + VAT.

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 11:51:41 am »
Greenlee is a reputable US based company of industrial test gear.  The make basic but durable equipment.  The only issue with them is that the parent company, Textron, are not an electronics focused company like Denaher and its subcompanies like Fluke; their subsidiaries are all over the place in the industrial setting from small plane manufacturing to recreational vehicles.  So the gist is, they know how to sell to people and make what they want, but they are not dedicated to the craft.
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 12:08:48 pm »
How many of these 500,000 count meters are there?
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4235.0
That's 4 that are almost identical.

Dave.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 12:21:42 pm »
Yokagowa make a 500,000 count one too:

Hmm, looks like we may have 3 sufficiently different meters for a shootout...

Dave.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 01:48:09 pm »
A shootout would be great :-)

Offline Bren

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2011, 04:36:09 pm »
I had a Green Lee multimeter for many years until I got it replaced. My Green Lee had a fuse break on it somehow and I couldn't get the identical one replaced. To replace the identical fuse that was used by Green Lee, it would cost me about 175$ if I bought a bulk of them from their supplier. I ended up going with another fuse, but there was really no reason for the fuse to break.

The multimeter was great and so was their customer service.

Bren.

Offline PetrosA

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 05:17:48 pm »
I just got a Greenlee mini clamp (well, mini compared to my Agilent ;) ). I'll put it through some tests, tear it apart and post what I find.
I miss my home I miss my porch, porch

Offline Kiriakos-GR

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • User is banned.
    • Honda AX-1 rebuild
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2011, 06:36:36 pm »
If some people was replying in true technical questions , their brands would earn some credit.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4235.msg56689#msg56689

The Brymen web site looks terrible.

The Greenlee overestimates the specs of Brymen speaking about 200Khz bandwidth,
when Brymen talks about 100 KHz.

An very  confused story just by it self.  :)

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2011, 07:16:39 pm »
Some Greenlee products have the same limited lifetime guarantee similar to Fluke, FYI.  So while basic, the build quality is often higher than typical DMMs.

Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline Kiriakos-GR

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • User is banned.
    • Honda AX-1 rebuild
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2011, 09:08:40 pm »
At my geographical location I have so many options about such products,
that I can not get easily surprised or impressed .

For example the Agilent U1272A, it was a true bomb of many megatons, and it did managed to impress me.
At 340$ retail, its a shadow over the many typical DMM, and they loose their shine at the 2011. 

Offline Kiriakos-GR

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • User is banned.
    • Honda AX-1 rebuild
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2011, 12:55:54 pm »
Hi,

I've discovered a multimeter manufacturer called Greenlee (www.greenlee.com). They have a rather interesting multimeter that is available for sale at least in Germany on august 25th. It's the dm-860a (http://www.mygreenlee.com/GreenleeDotCom/Whats%20New/SupportFiles/pdfs/MA5591%20DM-860A%20Datta%20Sheet.pdf)

Thanks,

Thilo.

Great find Thilo, this document helped me allot in my fresh research about Brymen. 
And because of the good news .. https://www.eevblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5065.0
The review of the 869 is a fact !!   ;)

Offline krish2487

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2011, 02:40:09 pm »
Hello!
A long time fan of dave and his blog (truly enjoy your work dave!!)
but just registered on the forums.

The word "greenlee" caught my attention
I am a power electronics and embedded systems engineer by profession
I am also have a passion for mechanical engineering that competes with my main line of work.

Greenlee is a reputed company that manufactures Mortiser bits (one the few in the world i might add)

(I have no affiliation to greenlee other than my interest in mechanical engg)

Mortiser drill bits are based on "reuleaux triangle". What it actually is a drill bit but makes a square hole instead of a circle
:-D
(So that you can avoid googling and wiking for "mortiser bits" and "reuleaux triangle")

Infact the company is named after one of the founder.

Just my contribution to a very interesting thread.
If god made us in his image,
and we are this stupid
then....

Offline Kiriakos-GR

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • User is banned.
    • Honda AX-1 rebuild
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2011, 03:15:41 pm »
Never need a square hole , but thanks for the info.  :)

Offline Michael B

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2012, 04:55:59 pm »
Verified that Greenlee DM860A is made by Brymen. Cheapest price in the US that I have found is $289. Not bad, but I just scored a Fluke 87V with E2 kit for less than that. ;D
Just because I'm a Yank, doesn't mean I'm a jerk.

Offline plunger

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2012, 10:57:57 pm »
Don't know about the meter quality but Greenlee is sold in all of the Home Depots in USA.  It looks to be quality stuff. Home Depot is the biggest hardware chain here. You can buy the cheap tools or buy the good stuff, Kleins & Greenlee for telecom/electrician tools.

Offline kingoftaurus

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2014, 07:27:09 am »
Don't know about the meter quality but Greenlee is sold in all of the Home Depots in USA.  It looks to be quality stuff. Home Depot is the biggest hardware chain here. You can buy the cheap tools or buy the good stuff, Kleins & Greenlee for telecom/electrician tools.

In another post I asked about finding the Brymen. It was suggested that I go for a Greenlee.

You state that its sold by Home Depot, but they don't even have a listing for it online.

Lowe's does not either.

Fry's electronics does not.

Amazon has one but its $500

Where can I actually find this multimeter?

Another +1 here for a shootout of all these rebadged multimeters and hopefully selling locations worldwide.

Offline rstoer

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2014, 02:09:53 pm »
Find the meter you want on Greenlee's website (www.greenlee.com) and click "Where to Buy". Put in your zip code and you're done. Usually they're sold by electrical supply stores where you can plan on paying retail.

As an alternative, why not buy a real Brymen from Frankie at 99 Cent Hobbies? Many people (myself included) have dealt with him and found him to be reputable.

Offline 128er

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2014, 05:10:32 pm »
Last Sunday i was on the "Light & Building"-fair in Frankfurt a.M. / Germany. On the Klauke-Stand they also had the Greenlee equipment (both are Textron companys). I asked them if the DMM's and the other stuff are designed and build inhouse. The guy affirmed that and told me, that Greenlee is the biggest manufacturer of testequipment after Fluke. Of course, i was very sceptical about this statement (Hmm, he would not lie to me :D ). I havent compared all Types, but some Greenlee DMM's are obviously Brymen devices.

This is the webpage from Klauke http://www.klauke.com/ . There you can find the Greenlee devices also.

By the way, Klauke produce very nice equipment for cable connections and all sort of crimp stuff. For my Company its the first choice for all sort of connection things.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf