Author Topic: why did my anti-static mat bubble up like this?  (Read 1171 times)

Offline djacobowTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • takin' it apart since the 70's
why did my anti-static mat bubble up like this?
« on: May 07, 2021, 05:47:14 pm »
Occasionally, I will pick up everything and try to flatten it, but it's just a fact that the edge closer to me is "longer" than the rest, and has gotten wavy.

What's that about?

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
Re: why did my anti-static mat bubble up like this?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2021, 06:23:36 pm »
Looks like either oils from the hands interacting with it somehow. Or just the mechanical stress from the hands.
Alex

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2021, 06:25:39 pm »
Maybe there's no hope for this mat, then, and I should just get a new one and maybe put some kind f wrist guard down in front of the keyboard.

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2021, 09:09:56 pm »
Mine did that too. I lifted it up and sprayed a light coat of Krylon Crystal Clear on the table top, let it dry a couple of seconds, then dropped the mat down while it was still sticky. After making sure it was flattened out good with no bubbles I stacked several piles of books on top. Gave it a couple of days to dry and it's been fine ever since. Years now with no bubbles. It would probably be better to use some kind of spray adhesive, but I didn't have any so I experimented.

The following users thanked this post: djacobow

Offline jh15

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2021, 11:01:11 pm »
What is the make and model, so we could avoid it, or with some fixes make it better.

Is it OK for dropping some solder on? is it easy to cut, if your xacto blade slips? would screws poking out of a chassis puncture it?

Tek 575 curve trcr top shape, Tek 535, Tek 465. Tek 545 Hickok clone, Tesla Model S,  Ohio Scientific c24P SBC, c-64's from club days, Giant electric bicycle, Rigol stuff, Heathkit AR-15's. Heathkit ET- 3400a trainer&interface. Starlink pizza.

Offline richnormand

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2021, 03:39:24 pm »
1)
I used Gorrila tape on the edge of mine. Still working very well after many years. The tape is pretty thick and resistant to stuff like IPA.
It's a two person job. One to pull the mat flat and aligned on the table edge and the other to stretch the tape on the edge.
2)
I note what looks like a heater underneath. If used there could it be the mat got overheated? Same with the WD40. Some mat compositions are incompatible with certain cleaners and chemicals....?

I would remove the mat entirely, put it on a flat floor and see if it is distorted or elongated on that edge only. If so, you might be able to swap that edge in the back of the bench and get the clean edge in the front.

Best of luck with it.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2021, 03:41:09 pm by richnormand »
Repair, Renew, Reuse, Recycle, Rebuild, Reduce, Recover, Repurpose, Restore, Refurbish, Recondition, Renovate

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2021, 04:56:55 pm »
What is the make and model, so we could avoid it, or with some fixes make it better.

Is it OK for dropping some solder on? is it easy to cut, if your xacto blade slips? would screws poking out of a chassis puncture it?

It was 66045 MAT, STATFREE T2, RUBBER BLUE, 0.060" x 24" x 48" from Desco Industries, ordered directly, 6 1/2 years ago. I should mention that I have another one of these exact mats, bought the same time on the other and of my bench, where I do all my assembly and rework, and that one has not gotten wavy. I rest my arms similarly, but I probably don't spend nearly as much time there.

It appears to be discontinued now, replaced by this model which noticeably claims more resistance to oils. Hrmm. https://desco.descoindustries.com/DescoCatalog/Worksurface-Mats/Rubber/Statfree-T2-Plus-Dual-Layer-Dissipative/Statfree-T2-Plus-Mat-Kits/66428/#.YJbLHrVKi5M

I have dropped solder and the soldering iron on these mats many times. They do not melt or burn at soldering temperatures. They do pick up stains from flux and whatnot. Xacto slips definitely will cut it. I've never tried cutting it purposefully.  Screws sticking out I don't think would make punctures.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2021, 05:33:42 pm by djacobow »

Offline jh15

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2021, 03:39:52 am »
thanks for the detailed reply to my question.
Tek 575 curve trcr top shape, Tek 535, Tek 465. Tek 545 Hickok clone, Tesla Model S,  Ohio Scientific c24P SBC, c-64's from club days, Giant electric bicycle, Rigol stuff, Heathkit AR-15's. Heathkit ET- 3400a trainer&interface. Starlink pizza.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf