Author Topic: Fun with gunnplexer's  (Read 5189 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline TheSteveTopic starter

  • Supporter
  • ****
  • Posts: 3885
  • Country: ca
  • Living the Dream
Fun with gunnplexer's
« on: September 04, 2018, 05:56:43 am »
Picked up a pair of Macom Gunnplexer transceivers the other day.
Today was the first power on to verify they are working.
Next is to FM modulate the supply to transmit tones/audio.
After that is is receiver time.
Eventually the plan is to have a pair of limited range, very directional 24 GHz walkie talkies - just cause I can!

I will update this thread with progress as I go.



VE7FM
 

Offline babysitter

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 900
  • Country: de
  • pushing silicon at work
Re: Fun with gunnplexer's
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2018, 02:28:07 pm »
Used simiilar ones together with people from my makerspace to do a model speed enforcement car. Complete with flashing LED in case you're over the threshold and external display. (Converted a pink VW Bus from Dickie to a black and white one, hehe...)
I'm not a feature, I'm a bug! ARC DG3HDA
 

Offline TheSteveTopic starter

  • Supporter
  • ****
  • Posts: 3885
  • Country: ca
  • Living the Dream
Re: Fun with gunnplexer's
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2018, 08:23:54 am »
Finally had a chance to build a quick and dirty 5 volt regulator with a LM317. Audio is fed in to its adjust pin via a 0.1 uF capacitor. The output of the regulator is fed directly into the gunnplexer. With 4 mV of audio I am getting roughly 100 kHz of FM deviation @ 24.13 GHz. The audio demodulates quite nicely but there is a lot of frequency drift. When a receiver is built it will need to have a wide front end.

VE7FM
 

Offline ftg

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 500
  • Country: fi
    • ftg's RF hax paeg
Re: Fun with gunnplexer's
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2026, 03:16:48 pm »
To necro this a bit, did you end up building the IF receiver for these Gunnplexers?
And if so, that style and did you include AFC?
I have some 24GHz Gunnplexers that have been taking space in my junkbox and lately I have wanted to get them into a more usable state.
And see about making my first 24GHz QSO's with the pair.
 

Offline nonius_

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 168
  • Country: nl
Re: Fun with gunnplexer's
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2026, 04:36:46 pm »
Quote
I have some 24GHz Gunnplexers that have been taking space in my junkbox and lately I have wanted to get them into a more usable state.

Wow, that's pretty old skool tech :) And so is wideband-FM on those SHF-frequencies....

About a decade ago I experimented with Gunnplexers. One got built into a 10GHz ATV-transmitter (analog), worked marvelously on the local ATV-repeater.

Another one (I believe a 24GHz version) I experimented with the Doppler-effect: connect a small audio-amplifier and a speaker to the output of the mixer, point it to the room and walk around in the room, waving your hands about. Endless fun :) (well, at least for a simpleton such as myself).

At the time I was thinking about turning it into a speedgun (all it required was adding an antenna with a bit more gain, and an audio frequencycounter, calibrated in m/s or km/h), but never got around to it. The Gunnplexers are still sitting in a box in the attic, they're easy to use and pretty fun to experiment with.

At the time I also found a design for a simple Doppler weather-radar, using one. Never got around to building that though.

In my ancient ARRL-handbook (1990) they also describe a design for a wideband-FM communication system.
set SCE to AUX
 

Offline KE5FX

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 2638
  • Country: us
    • KE5FX.COM
Re: Fun with gunnplexer's
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2026, 06:52:23 pm »
In my ancient ARRL-handbook (1990) they also describe a design for a wideband-FM communication system.

That's probably Glenn Elmore's 2-Mbit link, which I bumped up to 10 Mbits when I lived across the parking lot from my office.  Incredibly fun project, and I got a lot of use out of it.
 
The following users thanked this post: pardo-bsso


Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf

 

-->