Electronics > RF, Microwave, Ham Radio

#34/35, Bring an old Kenwood ts-520 back to life part 1 & 2

(1/7) > >>

Radio Tech:
#34, Bring an old Kenwood ts-520 back to life part 1

In this video we bring an old TS-530back to life with out a lot of parts change. This radio was very dirty and shows sign of moister damage. Will it still work after all this time?

Part 2

retrolefty:
These old Kenwood hybrids are quite collectible and even today command a pretty good resale value if in decent condition, considering their age. If the 6146Bs finals ever become totally unavailable then that may change but NOS stock still seems to be available.

I picked up a TS-520S with CW filter for only $100 about four years ago, a great price. Still had original finals but found some NOS as spares.

Radio Tech:

--- Quote from: retrolefty on March 07, 2016, 01:26:16 am ---These old Kenwood hybrids are quite collectible and even today command a pretty good resale value if in decent condition, considering their age. If the 6146Bs finals ever become totally unavailable then that may change but NOS stock still seems to be available.

I picked up a TS-520S with CW filter for only $100 about four years ago, a great price. Still had original finals but found some NOS as spares.

--- End quote ---

I agree 100 %.
They are excellent radios. Now I have 2 :)
I was really surprised at how little it took to get this one running. Thought it was going to be a hair puller when I first saw it. I like to find or have some paint that would match the covers and the bezel. Could really get this one looking great.

At the moment I still have 12 NOS tubes.

AF6LJ:
I have a TS-820 (no S model) When I received it it had a drifty VFO turns out Kenwood uses hot snot to secure the VFO coil windings.  :o Well I didn't want to realign the VFO so I cleaned it with some acetone and replaced the hot snot. I was somewhat disappointed in the VFO design, from a mechanical standpoint it was okay. My issue is the total inductance used in the VFO tank coil was adjustable not a small fraction of that inductance like in a Heath SB series VFO. (the vacuum tube version)

I have to open that VFO again it has developed the usual frequency jumping problem these things experience when they get this old. I'm going to try a little graphite on those bearings and on the contact that grounds the rotor.

It is a fun radio to operate. :)

Radio Tech:
Interesting Sue. Did the hot snot become conductive?

I used the graphite a few times. Seems to work great and never had a return on one.
I agree the SB series were a better design.
Need to pull my older 520 down and do a little work on it. Change the caps and resistors then do an alignment.  Also have a intermitted problem with the meter when in the tune position. It want work lol.

When you go through you VFO you should record it ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version