Author Topic: 80Ghz Radar Compliance in Australia  (Read 1333 times)

Offline ryanmTopic starter

80Ghz Radar Compliance in Australia
« on: May 22, 2024, 06:52:04 am »
Hi All,

Long time reader first time poster. I've just ordered some 80Ghz radar units off Aliexpress to have a play with to see if they work better than ultrasonic sensors for monitoring levels. Since they operate using EM waves instead of sound, I assume integrating them into a product would require certification as an intentional radiator with the ACMA down under?

Cheers, Ryan.

Offline CaptDon

• Super Contributor
Re: 80Ghz Radar Compliance in Australia
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2024, 01:51:04 pm »
I don't know the specifics for Ozi rules, however many of those modules fall below the power level where licensing or certification is required. It may also depend on how much of the radiated signal 'escapes' beyond the container who's fill level is being measured. An example, can you transmit 1KW at 2.45GHz? probably not, but you can legally generate 1KW or more in a microwave oven although it does have to meet leakage certification because it operates above the minimum power threshold which in the states is 100mw D.C. input power to the final amplifier. I wonder if the rules governing R.F. radiation levels and standards for certification can be found online for your country?
Collector and repairer of vintage and not so vintage electronic gadgets and test equipment. What's the difference between a pizza and a musician? A pizza can feed a family of four!! Classically trained guitarist. Sound engineer.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2024, 07:02:18 am »
Hi All,

Long time reader first time poster. I've just ordered some 80Ghz radar units off Aliexpress to have a play with to see if they work better than ultrasonic sensors for monitoring levels. Since they operate using EM waves instead of sound, I assume integrating them into a product would require certification as an intentional radiator with the ACMA down under?

Cheers, Ryan.
If you intend making it as a saleable item, you will probably have to jump through whatever hoops ACMA require, but if you are basically experimenting with them you may find they accept the original approvals from the country of origin, the FCC or whatever.
In either case, you should "do your homework" by asking ACMA.

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2024, 10:15:38 am »
I thought this kind of thing would be in the ISM band. But 80GHz is not in the ISM band. 60GHz and 120GHz are

Offline vk4ffab

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2024, 01:18:19 am »
Hi All,

Cheers, Ryan.

Give ACMA a call, if you have concerns, but here is the relevant class license.There are restrictions in there for 80ghz radar, cant be operated near a radio astronomy site, the emissions need to be pointed at the floor or a wall. Must comply with some ETSI standard. Not sure what you want to do with them, but seems some things are doable within the class license.

https://www.legislation.gov.au/F2015L01438/latest/text
« Last Edit: May 27, 2024, 01:20:17 am by vk4ffab »

Offline ryanmTopic starter

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2024, 02:29:47 am »
Thanks for the replies.

My closest neighbour is a few kilometers away so I don't think my prototypes will bother anyone. If it works well I might integrate it into a saleable product which is why I was trying to look ahead for problems. If I have to put it through a compliance lab sorting by lowest price first on Aliexpress might not be the best way to pick a module.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf