Author Topic: 863-865MHz generation and detection  (Read 1109 times)

Offline Trotters_Independent2Topic starter

863-865MHz generation and detection
« on: June 26, 2022, 08:49:05 pm »
Hi all

A brief explanation of my background: I am experienced in working with microcontrollers and power electronics but I'm not experienced in high frequency electronics where I have to worry about transmission line effects. In the past I have studied things like impedance matching and reflections so I have a rudimentary awareness of these things but I have absolutely no practical experience.

What I am trying to do:

I am working on a home project which, in order to implement my idea, would involve detection of standing waves in the 863-865MHz frequency range along varying lengths of transmission line - I was thinking of making a germanium diode RF peak-detector/de-modulator probe in conjunction with my oscilloscope to measure them, like in this video:

But I am really not sure how to generate the wave:

I am not trying to transmit any information by modulating it - I only want to detect its presence. I don't want any more than 25mW of transmission power and I want to be able to operate it in a burst-mode. Where I would transmit for maybe 1-10 micro-seconds at a time. When I started on this idea, I envisioned being able to find a simple chip that would cost a few £ (perhaps with a configurable output frequency and power) which I could just pulse an enable line with a microcontroller and it would simply output the desired frequency in the "burst" fashion that I want. But I am struggling to find what I want.

Could anyone point me in the right direction? Is what I am trying to implement even realistic?

Thanks a lot
« Last Edit: June 26, 2022, 08:52:03 pm by Trotters_Independent2 »

Re: 863-865MHz generation and detection
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2022, 10:11:45 pm »
Thank you, very much appreciated. I shall have a look at these. :)

Offline Wallace Gasiewicz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2022, 11:36:16 pm »
There are several different cell phone and cell tower service monitors that work very well in this freq range.
I have two HP 89935 and Agilent 7495.

I do not know anything about the burst detection issue however. Maybe there is a way to detect bursts with this type of equipment.
Perhaps someone here might know?

Offline themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2022, 11:57:01 pm »
Fantasic ,more noise clogging up the  the license exempt radio mic band  here in the uk.

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2022, 05:34:14 pm »
 :-DD Exactly! If my idea is successful, I am hoping to sell millions of these things. And you'll have to say goodbye to your precious radio mics, which will all be rendered totally useless across the whole country by my genius! You're gonna have to haul your stupid mics off to Timbuktu, mate.... if you still wanna use them. See ya, bye bye - now!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf