Author Topic: ADALM-PLUTO as simple Spectrum Analyzer/w tracking  (Read 14801 times)

Offline albferTopic starter

• Contributor
    • Nothing is impossible
ADALM-PLUTO as simple Spectrum Analyzer/w tracking
« on: February 28, 2020, 02:08:25 pm »
HI All,

I wrote a windows application that work as Spectrum Analyzer/w tracking generator with SDR Devices (initial support for ADALM-PLUTO only).

Highlights:
- Spectrum Analyzer from 40MHz to 6015MHz, variable span from 2MHz to 5910MHz, marker and Max Hold features
- Spectrum Analyzer w/Tracking from 50MHz to 6000MHz (range 50MHZ->70MHz experimental), resolution from 50 to 1024 points, 0dB and -40dB calibration.
- Frequency generator from 50MHz to 6000MHz
- Configurable RX/TX level correction, with four curve embedded or with external files.

I distribute this application free of charge to the HAM radio community.

If you interested, visit the related page at my site http://www.albfer.com/en/2020/02/21/satsagen-2

See you soon!

Alberto

The following users thanked this post: croma641, ebclr, RoGeorge, airlomba, FPSychotic, Scherms

Offline RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
Re: ADALM-PLUTO as simple Spectrum Analyzer/w tracking
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2020, 02:49:17 pm »
Looks great, thank you!   :-+
This is a very nice surprise.  :D

- IIRC it was not possible to use the same oscillator for the Tx and the Rx paths inside the AD9363, so it was not possible to control the phase between Tx and Rx.  Did you find any tricks to overcome that?
- Will it be open source in the future?

I'm on Linux.  This weekend I'll give it a try in Wine, and if it doesn't work, in a Windows VM.
Will let you know how it all went, thanks again!

The following users thanked this post: albfer

Offline Kalvin

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded SW/HW.
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2020, 06:02:06 pm »
Nice project, indeed!

- IIRC it was not possible to use the same oscillator for the Tx and the Rx paths inside the AD9363, so it was not possible to control the phase between Tx and Rx.  Did you find any tricks to overcome that?

As far as I understood, this is a scalar network analyzer, not a vector network analyzer. I was playing with Pluto a year ago with a similar project for my antenna project with decently good results. Of course I wanted to make a vector network analyzer, but it was a painful observation that it was not possible to phase-lock the tx and rx oscillators in AD9363, so as far as know, Pluto cannot be used as a vector network analyzer. However, a scalar network analyzer is still a very useful and good tool. And of course, Pluto can be used as an SDR.

After playing with Pluto I decided to purchase miniVNA Tiny Plus. For hobby projects, the NanoVNA is also a nice, inexpensive tool for HF - UHF measurements. I think these tools (Pluto and VNAs) complement each other quite nicely.

• Contributor
    • Nothing is impossible
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2020, 07:19:55 am »
Thank you very much for your interest in my project!

we working on that, but we don't found a cheap solution at the moment, it's more reasonable with another devices, probably.

- Will it be open source in the future?

it will likely become an Open Source library,  meantime I am working on the porting of the application to other platforms.

I will look forward to the results of your tests in Wine!  :)

Offline Bicurico

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2020, 02:24:02 pm »
Hello,

I am trying the software, but it does not work at all!

It starts, I can see the entry in the taskbar, but no window opens.

Any suggestion?

Regards,
Vitor

Offline Bicurico

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2020, 02:47:12 pm »
Got it to work.

The software does not like my three attached monitors!

I need to unplug one monitor for the window to appear on the desktop. i can than reconnect the third monitor.

Regards,
Vitor

• Contributor
    • Nothing is impossible
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2020, 03:16:18 pm »
Got it to work.

The software does not like my three attached monitors!

I need to unplug one monitor for the window to appear on the desktop. i can than reconnect the third monitor.

Regards,
Vitor

Hello Vitor,

thank you, I will try to fix the problem in a multi-monitor system

Regards

Alberto

Offline RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2020, 05:11:50 pm »
Just tested it with some virtual machines:
- WinXPsp3 32bit virtual machine - all installs OK, but at start, satsagem.exe opens an err msgbox with the text "The procedure entry point inet_ntop could not be located in the dynamic link library WS2_32.dll."
- Win7sp1 64 bit virtual machine - IT WORKS, IT WORKS!!!   :scared:

I have a 6GHZ spectrum analyzer /w generator.   8)

Will try it with Ubuntu/WINE now.

Offline RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2020, 06:37:06 pm »
Ubuntu 18.10, Q4Wine 1.3.7, Wine-3.0.3:
- installed first the drivers, then the SATSAGEN, it starts, sees the ADALM-PLUTO
- 'Spectrum Analyzer' section appears to be working
- 'Generator' section half working, can change frequency, but can not turn the generated signal off, can change the TX Pwr numbers but the signal displayed by the SA always remains the same amplitude.  For some reason, if the generator is set to 2402MHz, then the generated signal disappears from the display.  Also note that the frequency can be changed, but is always shifted with 2 MHz, as seen in the attached picture, where the signal is still at 2405MHz instead of the 2407MHz (also note the generator is switched off and the signal is still generated).
- 'Spectrum Analyzer w/Tracking' section flashes the 'Calib. Req. 0dB', the red button can be pressed, but when the green button is pressed, instead of starting the calibration, the green button greys out itself and nothing happens on the display.

Since I don't know much about Wine, no idea how to debug that.  I just run the driver installer, then the Satsagen installer, then made a shortcut to the installed satgen.exe and double click it from Wine.

For now, I'm very happy with the SATSAGEN working on Win7 VM, so I won't hammer Wine any longer.
Was waiting for such a nice tool since I bought the ADALM-PLUTO, thank you!   :)
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 06:44:11 pm by RoGeorge »

• Contributor
    • Nothing is impossible
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2020, 08:21:59 pm »
Ubuntu 18.10, Q4Wine 1.3.7, Wine-3.0.3:
- installed first the drivers, then the SATSAGEN, it starts, sees the ADALM-PLUTO
- 'Spectrum Analyzer' section appears to be working
- 'Generator' section half working, can change frequency, but can not turn the generated signal off, can change the TX Pwr numbers but the signal displayed by the SA always remains the same amplitude.  For some reason, if the generator is set to 2402MHz, then the generated signal disappears from the display.  Also note that the frequency can be changed, but is always shifted with 2 MHz, as seen in the attached picture, where the signal is still at 2405MHz instead of the 2407MHz (also note the generator is switched off and the signal is still generated).
- 'Spectrum Analyzer w/Tracking' section flashes the 'Calib. Req. 0dB', the red button can be pressed, but when the green button is pressed, instead of starting the calibration, the green button greys out itself and nothing happens on the display.

Since I don't know much about Wine, no idea how to debug that.  I just run the driver installer, then the Satsagen installer, then made a shortcut to the installed satgen.exe and double click it from Wine.

For now, I'm very happy with the SATSAGEN working on Win7 VM, so I won't hammer Wine any longer.
Was waiting for such a nice tool since I bought the ADALM-PLUTO, thank you!   :)

if you want to play SATSAGEN on wine again, there is a solution at the download page http://www.albfer.com/satsagen-download-page/ :
- download and execute SATSAGEN upg v. 0.2.0.3 (if a previously version is installed)
- run SATSAGEN, open settings and from tabsheet Extra check on Fix iio_channel_attr...

Thank you again!

Cheers

Alberto

The following users thanked this post: RoGeorge

Offline RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2020, 08:58:07 pm »
Satsagen v0.2.0.3 now works perfectly in Linux/Wine, too!   :-+

I used the upgrade version, satsagenupg_2.03.exe, and simply run it with Wine, without uninstalling v0.2.0.0.  It all works correctly now, thank you.

You should rename it SATSAGEM, 'cause this is a gem tool for any ADALM-PLUTO owner.   :)

• Contributor
    • Nothing is impossible
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2020, 04:31:42 pm »
Hi all!

the new version 0.2.2 of SATSAGEN is available at the link below:

http://www.albfer.com/satsagen-download-page/

Highlights of v. 0.2.2:

- Extension of analyzed band from 6 GHz to 12 GHz and beyond! (harmonic third mode)
- Multiplier offset RX/TX TSA in order to test amplifiers or multipliers
- Offset between transmitter and receiver in  order to test conversion systems, like transverters
- Display and modify SA resolution bandwidth
- Save/Load TSA scans (by memory or files)
- VSWR unit
- Multiple TSA markers
- Multiple SA markers
- Calibration using a directional coupler or bridge, averaging open and short
- Generator/Sweeper Mode
- SA Span value - scale coherency
- Lock Zoom autoscale when TSA or SA restarts
- All knobs can drived by the mouse wheel
- Pause and step functionality
- Output sweep ramp with external USB D/A
- Backup and restore configuration to and from a file.
- Connection string Override
- Frequency reference setting

Video:

https://youtu.be/280YqpEZgj4

See you soon!

Cheers

Alberto
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 09:10:33 pm by albfer »

The following users thanked this post: RoGeorge, DH1AKF_Wolfgang

Offline RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2020, 01:51:54 pm »
Very nice, a very grateful thank you!   :)

For those running SATSAGEN on Linux with Wine (here running Ubuntu 20.04 LTS and Wine 5.0), if there is an error like this one after pressing the 'Power' button inside SATSAGEN, with all the buttons greyed-out except for the 'Power' button:
Code: [Select]
09/04/2020 16:23:22 Connecting to ip:192.168.2.1
09/04/2020 16:23:22 Successfull connection to ip:192.168.2.1
09/04/2020 16:23:22 hw_model:Analog Devices PlutoSDR Rev.B (Z7010-AD9363)
09/04/2020 16:23:22 hw_model_variant:1
09/04/2020 16:23:22 hw_serial: ...
09/04/2020 16:23:22 fw_version:v0.28
09/04/2020 16:23:22 ad9361-phy,xo_correction:39999999
09/04/2020 16:23:22 ad9361-phy,model:ad9364
09/04/2020 16:23:22 local,kernel:4.9.0
09/04/2020 16:23:22 ip,ip-addr:192.168.2.1
09/04/2020 16:23:22 tx0_i scale a 0 return error Unknown error
then right click in the display area -> Settings -> Extra -> and check the checkbox 'Fix iio_channel_attr_write_double bad conversion'.  Click 'OK', and then press off/on again on the 'Power' button in SATSAGEN.  After this, the display grid should appear, and all the other buttons should now work, too.

Maybe you should mention about this in the download page, maybe put a note for Linux/Wine usage in the 'Extra' tab, too.  I would have thought it is broken if I didn't know about this from the previous versions.

One more thing, what does the 'Power' do?  Asking that because it feels to me like an unnecessary one more click.  IMO, would be nice if 'Power' would be on by default, or even better, to remember the last state from the previous run (by autosaving the state of SATSAGEM settings and buttons at close, without asking, and auto-load them at the next run).

Later edit:

I think there is a minor bug with the 'TX Pwr' box, editing a number here is acting different from the other input boxes.

For example, if there is already a -40.0 written in the 'TX Pwr' box, double clicking the numbers will select the whole "-40.0", which is correct, but then, when start typing "-20" and "Enter", the old "40.0" number is not replaced with the typed number, ending with a positive "2040.0" instead of the desired "-20" typed, which after pressing 'Enter' will become "10.0".  Also, simply pressing "-" seems to be toggling on and off the sign of the existing number, which is strange.

Later later edit:

All input boxes seems to act the same, it's the '-' sign that makes them behave strange.  Inputting a positive number is working properly, only inputting a negative number makes them behave wrong.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 02:53:12 pm by RoGeorge »

Offline RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2020, 06:32:03 pm »
With the Spectrum Analyzer set as follows:
- "Frequency KHz" = 2 450 000, "Span MHz" = 100, "RX Gain" = 50.0
- "SA Max FFT Size" = 65536
- "MSample L." =  24, "FFT KSize" = 65
then it displays "RBW:2712Hz".  By increasing to "MSample L." =  25, it displays "RBW:381Hz"

1. I don't understand, what "MSample L.", "FFT KSize" and "SA Max FFT Size" represents each, and what is the relation between them and the displayed "RBW", please?

2. Looks like a typo to me, shouldn't it be "kHz" with lower "k" instead of "KHz" with capital "K"?

• Contributor
    • Nothing is impossible
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2020, 01:34:15 pm »
Hi RoGeorge,

thank you again for your help, I have taken note of everything and I will try to insert the fixes in the next maintenance release.

I answer the question of point 1:

SATSAGEN may works in sweep mode by chunks of x MHz, depending of the Span and MSample Limit values inserted by the user.

MSample L. is the sampling rate value limit used of each chunk (for Pluto around of maximum 60 mega samples by second [MSPS]).
FFT KSize is the size of the fast Fourier transform process of each chunk.

For example, with 200MHz of Span and 40 of MSample L., the chunks are ten of 20MHz each: Span/(Span/(MSPS/2)).

The resolution bandwidth is sampling rate/FFT size, if we have used 8K of FFT size in the above example, RBW will be 4882: RBW=MSPS/FFTSize.

The SA Max FFT Size is the maximum value of FFTSize that user can set via RBW controls.
I have insert SA MAX FFT Size value in settings only as a precaution for mitigate performance issues in systems with poor hardware.

It's an argument a little hard to explain, I know.

I hope I have answered your questions.

Cheers

Alberto

Offline RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2020, 09:00:18 am »
Yes, that clarified the question perfectly, thank you.   :)

Other nice to have for future SATSAGEN versions (so far playing with the SA and GEN sections only):
  • thousands separators, especially for frequency, because 4000000 kHz is much harder to read than 4 000 000 kHz.
  • the RBW indication on the display is very useful, would be nice to have that number displayed as a label near the buttons that adjust it, too, because when the display update is slow, there can be a considerable lag between turning the knob(s) and the apparition of the RBW value, making it hard to set to a desired value, need to turn a little, wait, turn a little more, wait again for visual feedback, and so on.
  • didn't looked in the datasheet, but I suspect the 65 displayed by FFT KSize should be 64, a power of 2.
  • turning the MSample L. knob from min to max, either with the mouse wheel or by drawing circles around, can take a lot of time.  Would be nice (and also give a consistent behavior for the GUI) if all buttons will allow typing the desired number in a nearby box, like the knobs for frequency.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 09:17:55 am by RoGeorge »

• Contributor
    • Nothing is impossible
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2020, 11:55:45 am »
Hi,

the new maintenance release v.0.2.2.1 of SATSAGEN is available at the link below:

http://www.albfer.com/satsagen-download-page/

- Fix AV libiio.dll when extend frequency range on new ADALM-PLUTO
- Fix inactive TXPwr control during Generator/Sweeper operation
- Fix of serial com open failure when close settings window
- Fix strange behavior of edit controls when pressing - key on all selected content
- Fix scaling of mouse wheel steps to accomodate Windows settings
- Fix updating markers values and title informations during hold state
- Fix not compliant BMP images saved and little improve of JPG quality
- Some little fixes of typo and other issues

Thank you!

Cheers

Alberto

• Contributor
    • Nothing is impossible
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2020, 11:59:50 am »
Yes, that clarified the question perfectly, thank you.   :)

Other nice to have for future SATSAGEN versions (so far playing with the SA and GEN sections only):
  • thousands separators, especially for frequency, because 4000000 kHz is much harder to read than 4 000 000 kHz.
  • the RBW indication on the display is very useful, would be nice to have that number displayed as a label near the buttons that adjust it, too, because when the display update is slow, there can be a considerable lag between turning the knob(s) and the apparition of the RBW value, making it hard to set to a desired value, need to turn a little, wait, turn a little more, wait again for visual feedback, and so on.
  • didn't looked in the datasheet, but I suspect the 65 displayed by FFT KSize should be 64, a power of 2.
  • turning the MSample L. knob from min to max, either with the mouse wheel or by drawing circles around, can take a lot of time.  Would be nice (and also give a consistent behavior for the GUI) if all buttons will allow typing the desired number in a nearby box, like the knobs for frequency.

Hi RoGeorge,
 I made some of your tips, others in the next releases.
Cheers
Alberto

• Contributor
    • Nothing is impossible
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2020, 12:32:49 pm »
Hi all!

On the SATSAGEN news page a video showing the marker operation of the coming soon version 0.3.1
http://www.albfer.com/en/satsagen-news/#content

Regards, Alberto

Offline RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2020, 01:50:06 pm »
That's good news.  Spotted in the latest video a typo:  "HZ", Hertz, should be written as Hz, capital H and lower case z (for example in the dropdown box "Unit", under the spectrum display area, and in the text annotations of the video).  In full is Hertz, in honor of Heinrich Hertz.  The old notation for frequency was in cycle/second and the fun of kilocycles (kc), megacycle (Mc) and less commonly kilomegacycle (kMc), for GHz.

Good idea laying that row of fast access buttons on the bottom.   :-+
« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 02:01:51 pm by RoGeorge »

Offline 9aplus

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2020, 08:56:43 pm »
Hi Alberto,
Do you have plans to support Lime SDR soon ?

• Contributor
    • Nothing is impossible
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2020, 07:19:00 am »
not yet but it's a good idea!
Ciao
Alberto

Hi Alberto,
Do you have plans to support Lime SDR soon ?

The following users thanked this post: 9aplus

• Contributor
    • Nothing is impossible
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2020, 01:58:50 pm »
Hi All,

SATSAGEN v, 0.3.1 is ready to download!
http://www.albfer.com/en/satsagen-news/#content

regards, Alberto IU1KVL

The following users thanked this post: Skashkash, RoGeorge, wolfp

Offline RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2020, 08:15:12 pm »

- I like the -POWERON start option   :)
- removing the local oscillator image makes everything look very pro  :-+
- you've added so many new features and direct access buttons that it could be a major version increase
- the ability to choose an odd harmonic, up to the 9th one, turns any ADALM PLUTO into a virtually 70MHz...54GHz tool.  Don't tell the anti 5G movement that there are so many GHz in there!   :rant:
- modulation modes for the generator will came in handy in many ways
- wow, you put a text to CW Keyer that can modulate the generator?!  Nice, very nice!   ;D

Will play with SATSAGEN 0.3.1 this week, and let you know how it went, thanks for the new version.

LATER EDIT:
- spotted another typo, apart from the 'Unit' drop down menu ("HZ" instead of "Hz"), in the generator section, the harmonics instead of "3rd, 5rd, 7rd, 9rd", it should be "3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th".  Only for 3 the termination is "rd", it came from "third".  For the rest, the termination is "th", example, the fifth, seventh, and so on.

1, 2, and 3 are different, because they are spelled like first 1st, second (2nd) and third (3rd), then the rest are "th", fifth (5th), etc.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 08:36:11 pm by RoGeorge »

• Contributor
    • Nothing is impossible
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2020, 06:42:49 am »
Thank you so much, RoGeorge, I fix the label and the button of the toolbar also with the typo you have noticed.

- I like the -POWERON start option   :)
- removing the local oscillator image makes everything look very pro  :-+
- you've added so many new features and direct access buttons that it could be a major version increase
- the ability to choose an odd harmonic, up to the 9th one, turns any ADALM PLUTO into a virtually 70MHz...54GHz tool.  Don't tell the anti 5G movement that there are so many GHz in there!   :rant:
- modulation modes for the generator will came in handy in many ways
- wow, you put a text to CW Keyer that can modulate the generator?!  Nice, very nice!   ;D

Will play with SATSAGEN 0.3.1 this week, and let you know how it went, thanks for the new version.

LATER EDIT:
- spotted another typo, apart from the 'Unit' drop down menu ("HZ" instead of "Hz"), in the generator section, the harmonics instead of "3rd, 5rd, 7rd, 9rd", it should be "3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th".  Only for 3 the termination is "rd", it came from "third".  For the rest, the termination is "th", example, the fifth, seventh, and so on.

1, 2, and 3 are different, because they are spelled like first 1st, second (2nd) and third (3rd), then the rest are "th", fifth (5th), etc.

The following users thanked this post: croma641

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf