Author Topic: ADALM-PLUTO SDR  (Read 60222 times)

Offline vik007

Re: ADALM-PLUTO SDR
« Reply #75 on: May 03, 2019, 10:21:00 am »
 thanks for the answer,

I have not yet solved, I do not know how to organize those files. I still study,  |O

Offline mayor

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #76 on: May 03, 2019, 07:45:48 pm »
Hi. Your device is in DFU mode (which means it's wanting new firmware -- it's not bricked as far as I can tell)
So, per AD doc:

"When does the device automatically enter DFU mode?
The device enters DFU mode in case booting the multi component FIT image (Flattened Image Tree) fails. This may happen due to checksum failure caused by a corrupted previous firmware update."

"How can I check if the device is in DFU mode?
When the device is in DFU mode, the DONE LED is OFF, while LED1 is constantly ON. The device switches it’s USB PID to 0xB674 (PlutoSDR DFU)"

"How to update the firmware using DFU mode? How to rewrite the default uboot environment?" ->

Download this file:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/analogdevicesinc/plutosdr_scripts/master/UPDATE.BAT

Then download the latest firmware:
https://github.com/analogdevicesinc/plutosdr-fw/releases/download/v0.30/plutosdr-fw-v0.30.zip

Unzip the firmware zip file in the same location

In a windows cmd prompt, go to the directory where you downloaded both files and type
UPDATE.BAT plutosdr-fw-v0.30/pluto.dfu

Wait a while as the update of the firmware happens.

Once done, disconnect from USB, then reconnect. Should be back to normal.

If that doesn't work and your device is still in DFU mode, you might want to try

UPDATE.BAT plutosdr-fw-v0.30/uboot-env.dfu
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 07:47:44 pm by mayor »

Offline wkb

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #77 on: August 09, 2019, 08:03:37 am »
That is what I did and it works just fine.  Using my Pluto as trx for the Es'hail2 aka QO100 sat.

It sits close to the dish, remotely operated via Ethernet.

Wilko

« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 08:05:47 am by wkb »

The following users thanked this post: ogden

Offline rfclown

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #78 on: November 28, 2020, 05:03:07 am »
Old thread, but didn't want to start a new one. I've had fits with Pluto disconnecting on a PC. I bought a second one, and things were WAY worse. Posted question on AD forum and thought I'd share some success here to help someone else.

My question on AD forum "Pluto DC supply causing disconnect" is here:
https://ez.analog.com/adieducation/university-program/f/q-a/538047/pluto-dc-supply-causing-disconnect/397082#397082

AD person suggested increasing R88 to ~24.9k to disable the Vbus comparator on U15. He also suggested removing L7, but I had already shorted the grounds together on L7, so I didn't do that. My 2nd Pluto now works on three computers (it only worked on 1 of 3 before). I haven't looked at how changing L7 effects noise. I was just trying to get past making the thing usable at all. I was then playing with my two Plutos and decided to change R88 on the first one I bought (a year ago). I've had infrequent trouble with that one disconnecting. After changing the resistor, it would cycle in and out of connection; usb drive would come and go over and over. I then bridged the ground on L7 and that behavior stopped. I used to think (and maybe it still is) a temperature problem with my first Pluto. I had best luck with it if I had the cover off and a fan on it. I was suspecting bad soldering on the AD or FPGA parts. I had run a program to record the temperature, and it would crash at a consistent point (don't remember the temp). I was ready to have a tech at work reflow the BGAs. Then it didn't seem to be a problem as long as the cover was off, so I let it ride.

Pluto is fantastic for what it does for the price; but it's been one step forward, 7/8 step back for me with this thing. I pick it up for a while, and put it down for while, sometimes a LONG while. I finally got it going with LabVIEW.

Online RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79 on: November 28, 2020, 09:21:40 am »
In my PlutoSDR, the culprit for disconnecting was the middle USB connector (data pins were cold-joint soldered).  Inspect the connector with a microscope or a very strong magnifying glass to check yours is well soldered.  Mine wasn't.

Resoldered the connector under a microscope (also changed the USB cable with a shorter one), and now it's all good, no more randomly LAN connections disconnections.

Never used it with other OTG USB devices, or with an extra power adapter.  Just the USB cable to the computer and the standard SDR firmware (with the frequency band unlocked up to 6GHz, and the second ARM core unlocked on the Zync).

LATER EDIT:
-----------------
Found out recently about a new SDR learning resource based on PlutoSDR and Python, will add the link here:
https://pysdr.org/

It is a very comprehensive SDR course yet very easy to follow, it covers all the important aspects of SDR without flooding the student with math, and without going into very fine details.  Has some practice and exercises, a few test questions, etc.

Parsed it recently, recommended.   :-+
« Last Edit: November 28, 2020, 09:34:22 am by RoGeorge »

The following users thanked this post: cdev

Offline wkb

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #80 on: November 28, 2020, 11:39:59 am »
I bypassed the L7 GND connections with a short wire, that fixed the crashes once and for all.

Wilko
PA1WBU

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf