Author Topic: Antenna selection on generic GNSS modules (Ublox etc.)  (Read 1366 times)

Offline MarkMLlTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Antenna selection on generic GNSS modules (Ublox etc.)
« on: June 13, 2021, 04:33:53 pm »
I have a number of GPS etc. modules which I'm using for experimental purposes, with (genuine) Ublox neo-xx cans onboard. In general I select these to have provision for an external antenna, very often they support both an external and an onboard antenna.

I've seen various mutterings that a capacitor should be removed so that there is only a single RF source. Can anybody provide definitive or at least informed information on this?

In more detail, the attached photo shows part of a GPS module with SMA and IPEX connectors paralleled at the bottom and left, and the centre connection of the onboard (ceramic patch) antenna towards the top right.

The external antenna is connected to C8 and L1 in parallel, with C8 connected to U3 which is an unmarked six-pin device.

The internal antenna is connected to C4 and L2 in series, hence to U3.

The fragmentary instructions I've seen suggest that C8 should be removed if the external antenna is being used... which is of course rubbish since that's the in-path device. However the seller who advised that must have got the notion from somewhere.

If U3 is a passive combiner, e.g. from Mini-Circuits, then is is reasonable that an unused RF source should be isolated since an out-of-phase signal would mess things up.

If U3 is an active switch, e.g. from Peregrine as mentioned in https://www.u-blox.com/sites/default/files/products/documents/GNSS-Antennas_AppNote_%28UBX-15030289%29.pdf , then it's not reasonable to expect to have to remove components.

I lean towards U3 being active, since the component layout on the module is approximately as described in the Ublox appnote- even if the open-circuit detection has been omitted or simplified. However I'd be interested in the community's opinion or experience.

MarkMLl

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Antenna selection on generic GNSS modules (Ublox etc.)
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2021, 05:06:23 pm »
The five-pin U4 is a voltage regulator, marked 4A2D.

I suppose that one thing I could usefully try is looking at the six-pin chip (U3) and finding whether it has CMOS-style power on it, rather than being a passive splitter/combiner.

MarkMLl

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2021, 05:56:30 pm »
U3 is marked "LY". I noticed this when it started catching oblique sunlight, but now find that there's one very specific direction that LED illumination has to be applied which also shows it clearly... same applies to three modules branded differently so this looks like somebody's reference design.

That means it might be a MAX2659ELT+ with gnd on 1 and 2, RF in on 3, Vcc on 4, shutdown/ on 5 and out on 6. Input is shown via series L and C.

If that's correct it suggests that it's only in the "ceramic patch" antenna circuit, that the SMA/IPEX antenna is in parallel with its pin 6,

In which case if the antenna on the SMA connector is being used the internal antenna should be disabled, and that if this isn't done by the Ublox module telling the amp to shutdown removing C8 is the obvious way.

HOWEVER: component numbering isn't consistent, and on other modules that cap is identified as C2 etc... the important thing is to identify the SMA -> can line and look for a C and L in parallel.

MarkMLl
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 06:51:43 am by MarkMLl »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2021, 07:49:21 pm »
So therefore the only right thing to do is remove C8 or the equivalent capacitor for the different modules, just like the "conventional wisdom" says.

I suspect that by now "conventional wisdom" is going to be this thread since the situation has not been adequately explained elsewhere :-)

I'd add that my workshop is thoroughly screened and even without sorting out that cap, I've been getting fairly good results with a cheap external antenna sold as https://www.banggood.com/GPS-Active-Marine-Navigation-Antenna-10-Meters-With-BNC-Male-Plug-Connector-New-p-1019248.html However the thing I want to "get into the record" is that the thread described there as "G3/4" actually matches standard conduit fittings... at least in the UK.

MarkMLl

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2021, 08:46:47 pm »
EDIT: wow that's a lot of LNA gain in that antenna you linked --
"Lna gain(without cable):42±2dB" -- though that is also a very long cable on it.  I wonder what the cable loss is.

I suspect that its quoted bandwidth- 1575MHz+/-5 is fairly accurate: it's good for GPS but I can't see any of the other constellations at all... and would prefer to. https://gssc.esa.int/navipedia/index.php/File:GNSS_navigational_frequency_bands.png

I'd normally rip it apart to see how well it's made, but my mast is in an extremely exposed position and right now I need it to stay waterproof. It might possibly resemble the one discussed at https://www.reddit.com/r/RTLSDR/comments/fvycl5/how_can_i_modify_this_type_of_gps_antenna_for/

I'm losing quite a bit since I'm putting it through one of these splitters https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001614629367.html ... they appear to "do what it says on the can" quite nicely.

MarkMLl
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 10:27:43 am by MarkMLl »

Offline Miti

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2021, 01:06:11 am »
I have two of those modules, U3 is LNA for the passive ceramic patch antenna installed on the other side. Remove C8 to use it with external antenna.
Fear does not stop death, it stops life.

The following users thanked this post: MarkMLl

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2021, 06:48:09 am »
I have two of those modules, U3 is LNA for the passive ceramic patch antenna installed on the other side. Remove C8 to use it with external antenna.

Except where it's marked U2 (as on two out of three of the modules I've just done), and we've thrashed out why it's only that cap that's significant.

MarkMLl

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf