Author Topic: Are these microwave absorbers any good?  (Read 1761 times)

Offline grg183Topic starter

• Contributor
    • Salitronic
Are these microwave absorbers any good?
« on: November 09, 2023, 01:48:54 am »
I'm looking for affordable microwave absorbers for minimizing reflections during measurements. I don't need many and not necessarily top-of-the-line quality, I need just a few for strategical placement. I've noticed several vendors on Alibaba offering low-cost pyramidal microwave absorber tiles, like this one: https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Pyramidal-Microwave-Absorbing-Foam-rf-Absorber_1600306531990.html 

Given the low-cost I'm quite skeptical of the real specifications of these absorber. Has anyone used these (or from similar vendors) and can share their experience?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2023, 01:51:22 am by grg183 »

Offline CaptDon

• Super Contributor
Re: Are these microwave absorbers any good?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2023, 11:03:15 pm »
Can't tell you if that exact product is any good, but the design is the standard of the industry for E.M.I. test chambers and the ones that have about a 2Ft. square footprint usually run a couple hundred U.S.D. I guess they do share the same fancy blue color with the cheap knock-off stuff. The good absorbers are a conductive foam similar in nature to the foam that CMOS I.C.'s used to be stored on. One company called them 'bug rugs'. Like all foam your multi-thousand dollar investment will crumble and disintegrate over time!! I have brushed so much of that stuff out of my hair when setting up tests in an old lab about 20 miles from my home. Several of the 'blocks' have fallen off the ceiling lately.

Collector and repairer of vintage and not so vintage electronic gadgets and test equipment. What's the difference between a pizza and a musician? A pizza can feed a family of four!! Classically trained guitarist. Sound engineer.

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
Re: Are these microwave absorbers any good?
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2023, 06:19:07 am »
you know I wonder if that room is bad for you, they found a issue with CPAP machine foam giving people lung problems.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf