Electronics > RF, Microwave, Ham Radio

CB and Ham Radio Techs Love Their Bird Wattmeters

<< < (271/316) > >>

joeqsmith:
Impedance plot for the UHF mess to 500MHz. 

vk6zgo:

--- Quote from: xrunner on September 26, 2023, 11:58:49 pm ---
--- Quote from: joeqsmith on September 26, 2023, 11:32:30 pm ---Looking at Amphenol's site:
https://www.amphenolrf.com/rf-connectors/uhf-connectors.html

Impedance Non-Constant
Frequency Range DC - 300 MHz (DC - 1 GHz on Extended Range Designs)

They do not explain the GHz extended range designs.  Looking on Digikey, they claim several are good well above 1GHz.   I wonder home my crap adapters I bought for the Watt meter would compare with a decent N.

--- End quote ---

I looked at that link ... is that the datasheet per se? I didn't find a more detailed one listed there. One that perhaps had some graphs to gaze upon.  :(

I'll try to find an actual datasheet on the PL-259 later, I mean there must be one with actual plots out there somewhere. I've never tried to find one.

:-DD

The ham manufacturers could have settled on using N connectors on UHF and above back in the day and stuck with it. By now the hams would have learnt to use them. But alas they didn't, and now the PL-259 / SO-239 is so entrenched it wouldn't do any good to start. Most hams will not make up a new cable with an N male connector for a radio that has the N female. All they will do is grab an adapter and screw it on - F*ck it, problem solved. So what purpose did manufacturing the radio with an N connector actually achieve?  :-//

--- End quote ---

All the remaining "bricks n' mortar" Electronics shops near me stock a few crimp type "N" connectors, but crimp PL259s have disappeared.
They have many of the horrible PL259s, though! :scared:

N to SO239 adaptors are unknown at those same shops, so it has to be eBay or somewhere else on the net, making it easier to just fit the N to the long cable or make up a short lead to do the conversion.

A handful of hams are so fanatical about matching that they replace all the SO239s on their radios with N flange connectors.
This is not always easy, as many radios use nonstandard SO239s with only two mounting holes.
I do what I can, & don't agonise too much.

joeqsmith:
I was thinking Xrunner was trying to be a leader rather than a follower.   First, building anything is a huge step ahead.   Then attempting to piece together a VSWR Watt meter with software... another notch up.  Then not bowing to Bird is the gold standard makes him even further up the food chain.   Then flushes all those bonus points down the toilet by using a 1930's unstable connector....  :-DD :-DD   

Really though, I doubt those mini heaters... I meant adapters from Amazon are going to compare with a high grade UHF connector.   Maybe when you get this thing built up and have your parts you can measure them.   I looked through Amp's UHF products and if I select frequency, there is no other option than 0.3GHz.

xrunner:

--- Quote from: joeqsmith on September 27, 2023, 01:59:20 am ---I was thinking Xrunner was trying to be a leader rather than a follower.   First, building anything is a huge step ahead.   Then attempting to piece together a VSWR Watt meter with software... another notch up.  Then not bowing to Bird is the gold standard makes him even further up the food chain.   Then flushes all those bonus points down the toilet by using a 1930's unstable connector....  :-DD :-DD   

--- End quote ---

:-DD

But I'm sparing no expense - I have silver plated SO-239s!

joeqsmith:
Note the photo of my BNC barrels.  One of them is not like the others.  Guess which one is silver. 

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/rf-microwave/experimenting-with-waveguides-using-the-litevna/msg5072725/#msg5072725

I wonder about some of these super low cost Chinese connectors.  Some are < $10.  They have some "precision" ones around $50 but none have any data.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version