Electronics > RF, Microwave, Ham Radio

CB and Ham Radio Techs Love Their Bird Wattmeters

<< < (305/317) > >>

joeqsmith:
I made an attempt to add the ground strap to the coax to the Nissei RS-70. 

xrunner:
Good work on the meter, might help somebody out there.

I reworked the Vout cables and now the center conductor should be held tight. I changed the cal factor for the 2 meter band a few times to get it closer.  I didn't spend a whole lot of time on it yet because the case isn't completely closed. I have to work on the new case parts now.

But the power is reading pretty close to what I last measured the output of the Baofeng to be in the 2 meter ham band. On high it was 4.6 W (depending on the charge of the battery) as measured with my hp 437B power meter. The project meter indicates 4.8 W. On low power the project meter also measures about 1.8 W which is only a few tenths of a watt from what it should be. So for now I'm happy with that.

Now to work on re-dimensioning the front, back, and side risers. There also won't be so many vent slots on the back panel because it's too much trouble to get them cut out after applying copper tape.  :scared:

joeqsmith:
Video demonstrating using attenuators for a load.  Rather than a VNA, he uses a scope with TDR.  Warning,  I cringed a lot during the video.....

vk6zgo:

--- Quote from: joeqsmith on December 12, 2023, 06:57:40 pm ---Video demonstrating using attenuators for a load.  Rather than a VNA, he uses a scope with TDR.  Warning,  I cringed a lot during the video.....

--- End quote ---

Yes, he does rather like screwing them on the wrong way---that's why I like "N" connectors---you have to be pretty brutal to hurt them.
The information is good, but he "waffles on a lot" to get it over.

In the field it is often necessary to present the test equipment or DUT with a reasonably correct load, so if someone forgot to return the load to the equipment box or "cooked" it, & you are several thousand km from home, it is nice to be able to get quite close to a calibration load accuracy with two 40dB pads in cascade.

Another scenario is if you are working at a company which is quite poor (or miserly) where you may not have a calibration load & need something to "Second think" the Bird test load specs.

metrologist:

--- Quote from: vk6zgo on December 12, 2023, 11:33:41 pm ---Yes, he does rather like screwing them on the wrong way---that's why I like "N" connectors---you have to be pretty brutal to hurt them.

--- End quote ---

You are not supposed to rotate the body, doing it that way wears out the center conductors, rotate the nut instead.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version