Author Topic: CB and Ham Radio Techs Love Their Bird Wattmeters  (Read 191679 times)

Offline joeqsmithTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Re: CB and Ham Radio Techs Love Their Bird Wattmeters
« Reply #725 on: August 03, 2022, 02:58:08 am »
During my continued search of Watt meters, I came across a ham who was making their own.  I decided to try and find the other parts to their video and came across this gem.   Someone should tell these hams that we invented something called a heatgun and soldering iron.  :-DD :-DD 

• Super Contributor
« Reply #726 on: August 03, 2022, 06:05:35 am »
Looking at 1.8,3,7,14,21,28 & 50MHz from -73 to 13dBm in 2dB steps.    You can see why I am simply doing a point slope calc.  The two parts behave different enough that they each have their own coefficients but really, that's about it.   The heart of it is the coupler.  Getting something to work over this wide of a range was the difficult part.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #727 on: August 03, 2022, 06:33:08 am »
Of course, you run the part to a couple of GHz,  SI=SO.    :-DD

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #728 on: August 03, 2022, 09:00:26 am »
Nothing you can't fix with a poorly conceived quadratic regression :-DD

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #729 on: August 03, 2022, 11:22:29 am »
Of course, you run the part to a couple of GHz,  SI=SO.    :-DD

Good, good - keep going ...  :-DD

I integrated the new display and code into the main program, substituting actual variables for test strings. Except for a few tweaks it looked just like I planned. Testing with 0.0 dBm 50 MHz from hp power meter.

Also included for any parties interested are two pics, one with the system on the bench (4 feet away from my dual-band WiFi router) and the other next to it. With no antenna on a breadboard it picks up RF energy and raises the noise floor from -73 to -68 dBm. Actually, it goes even higher (like -55) but I couldn't catch the higher bursts from the router on the camera, but I could easily see them on the display. With a small antenna on the bench it easily captures the RF energy (2.4 & 5 GHz).

As can be seen from Joe's graphing, it doesn't stop amplifying RF inputs just because the data sheet says it's rated to 440 or 500 MHz. By the way I'm going to get the AD8307 part and see how she goes. May use it instead of the AD8310.
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #730 on: August 03, 2022, 03:03:55 pm »
The problem with the devices next to it are easy enough to solve.    While the ham tried to isolate the two ports,  I doubt you would see any need with the eval boards.   This is the reason I never isolated the two.   I did however make an attempt to separate them from the digital source.   

If we limited the last set of data to 1.4GHz and -27 to 13dBm, you could maybe make use of it.   If we were to attempt to fit each band, it would do much better.   

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #731 on: August 03, 2022, 04:35:49 pm »
Shifting gears to front and rear case panels, some progress at least.
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #732 on: August 03, 2022, 08:47:40 pm »
Nothing you can't fix with a poorly conceived quadratic regression :-DD

True.  Fitting to that chopped photo of the Bird meter is by far the most complex math I have running.   :-DD   

Demo of my final setup.   

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, bd139

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #733 on: August 04, 2022, 01:55:30 am »
How about an AD 8317? 1 MHz to 10 GHz. I think some of the Chinese power meters (no case) use it but they don't specifically say so. Looks like It might be underneath when looking from the side.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #734 on: August 04, 2022, 04:18:58 am »
Looks like the dynamic range is pretty limited.   Still, if you're interested in demonstrating how to design a design a bi-directional 1M-10GHz coupler for 100W with a directivity of 30dBm and a +/-0.5dB flatness, I would be very much interested in following along.   

There are a few videos showing some OTS meters as well as a few homemade ones.  I did not find anything in-line with a bi-directional coupler.   You could be the first!!!   :popcorn:

Here's an OTS one
« Last Edit: August 04, 2022, 04:32:56 am by joeqsmith »

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #735 on: August 04, 2022, 11:10:20 am »
Well, I think I can do a better user interface than what I've seen maybe that's a good place to start.  8)

I want to get the AD8307 which should be here today. I might change the correction factor method a bit - maybe a function per 100 MHz span. That's only five functions for a 500 MHz range. Still not burned out yet.

Going to print out a front panel today in green PLA and see if it fits the first time out. It's been known to happen from time-to-time.  :)

I had been using the Arduino IDE 2.0 RC and it updated itself yesterday to a new version (has before). But later in the day I tried uploading to a board and it refused to comply, said "Exit Status 1" which doesn't tell me a damn thing. It looked to me like it was confused about COM ports. Well I found that they had a bug in the release in that if you had the serial monitor port open it wouldn't upload. Lost time trying to figure that out, but they said if you close the serial port it would work for now. I did, and it did. Supposed to be fixed in an overnight build guess I'll install a nightly build and see, could be fixed but have a different problem I suppose.

:-DD

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #736 on: August 04, 2022, 11:12:58 am »
That sort of shit pushed me to use AVR gcc tool chain instead ages ago. That just works and stays working.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #737 on: August 04, 2022, 11:16:10 am »
That sort of shit pushed me to use AVR gcc tool chain instead ages ago. That just works and stays working.

OK, well I'll look into that thanks.

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #738 on: August 04, 2022, 09:56:25 pm »
Got the AD8307. I guess I forgot to pay the extra $1.25 to get a hole drilled for the output voltage pin. Check the original picture vs mine. Come to think of it neither have a hole for the power supply positive.

:-DD

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #739 on: August 05, 2022, 03:32:26 pm »
Front panel of case done. Came out right the first time no editing needed - Fusion 360 and 3D printer all cooperated for once - go figure.  :)

I'll need to modify the slide-in mounting plate for the controller board because there is little room for the front edges of the plate now. Shouldn't be a big deal to do.

Did an initial checkout of the AD8307 device. Log intercept appears to be -85.2 dBm which is within specs. Better behaved at high frequencies with higher power as can be seen in the datasheet. So I'll be using this part in this power meter.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #740 on: August 05, 2022, 04:39:47 pm »
Looking good. It does look like it's "flipping the bird" at us though at first glance  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #741 on: August 05, 2022, 04:54:46 pm »
Looking good. It does look like it's "flipping the bird" at us though at first glance  :-DD

Yea I had thought about that but it kindof grew on me so I left it as-is.  ;)

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #742 on: August 05, 2022, 06:27:51 pm »
Flipping the Bird...   :-DD

The cost to drill those two holes in your AD8307 eval boards is offset by the added SMA you can salvage for other projects.  Mine do not have the output cap shown but I did add one.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #743 on: August 05, 2022, 06:46:24 pm »
Another one for the list…. LT5534. 50MHz to 3GHz.

https://www.analog.com/media/en/technical-documentation/data-sheets/5534fc.pdf

Playing with DIY bolometers in my head. May go nowhere  :-DD

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #744 on: August 05, 2022, 07:03:02 pm »
Flipping the Bird...   :-DD

The cost to drill those two holes in your AD8307 eval boards is offset by the added SMA you can salvage for other projects.  Mine do not have the output cap shown but I did add one.

If they would have put on an LED like the AD8310 board all would have been forgiven.  :-DD

Another one for the list…. LT5534. 50MHz to 3GHz.

https://www.analog.com/media/en/technical-documentation/data-sheets/5534fc.pdf

Playing with DIY bolometers in my head. May go nowhere  :-DD

We'll have DC to daylight power measurements covered by the time this is over, maybe we should start a new company.  8)

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #745 on: August 05, 2022, 07:12:13 pm »
So who’s renting a garage in Palo Alto?  :-DD

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #746 on: August 05, 2022, 07:14:41 pm »
During my continued search of Watt meters, I came across a ham who was making their own.  I decided to try and find the other parts to their video and came across this gem.   Someone should tell these hams that we invented something called a heatgun and soldering iron.  :-DD :-DD 

shit like this makes me want to live on an island far away from the rest of the world
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #747 on: August 05, 2022, 07:15:15 pm »
So who’s renting a garage in Palo Alto?  :-DD
i can rent you mine
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #748 on: August 05, 2022, 07:26:41 pm »
Didn’t actually watch that video before.

Have commented appropriately.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #749 on: August 05, 2022, 08:48:22 pm »
Back to poking hams. This is wonderful:

I assume my comment will be deleted so I've left it here too:

Well that was exciting. A dull, cheaply furnished, uninspiring office without a bit of natural light resembling a poor attempt at cloning an IT operations centre. With a couple of radios chucked underneath the monitors. Perfect for the modern caged walt ham.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf