Author Topic: Changes in Australian ham licensing to conform to treaties harmonizing professio  (Read 2029 times)

Offline cdevTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • !
Changes are being made to how Australia does ham licensing, for the stated reason that its required by an international treaty.

What do Australian hams think of these changes? How do they impact you?
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline hendorog

• Super Contributor
Not an Australian, but the plan to integrate the license into the Australian Qualification Framework is a great idea.

I don't think NZ does that, and we should.

Offline cdevTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • !
Nobody realizes this but when services became tradable, everything changed, a lot.

What does one say to a cult?
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline LapTop006

• Supporter
Might be worth getting my callsign re-issued under the current rules then.

Due to a stuff-up (on my part) it expired when I moved from Melbourne to Sydney, and living in an urban canyon I haven't missed it.

Offline PhilipPeake

• Regular Contributor
Want to tell us up North what this all means?

Offline Beamin

• Super Contributor
  • If you think my Boobs are big you should see my ba
Nobody realizes this but when services became tradable, everything changed, a lot.

You are from Black Xville its like red xland but this forum is afraid of red x's I guess. Do you have any details? Are they making it illegal to get drunk on fosters and fuck a kangaroo without an extra class license? Or is that in your contries consitution?

Are they changing it because they are selling th band to huge companies taking away the people right to own the air waves? What a strange concept 150 years ago having the government show up at your house to arrest you for sending magic signal through the either that collided with other magic signals without making a sound or a flash. I wonder what else is out there we can chop up and sell off? Sadly I don't think there are any more feilds like that unless dark energy/matter can be manipulated, We don't even have neutrino transmitters, wonder how they would handle communications of it? SSB would be like down weak isospin.
Max characters: 300; characters remaining: 191
Images in your signature must be no greater than 500x25 pixels

Online vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
Changes are being made to how Australia does ham licensing, for the stated reason that its required by an international treaty.

What do Australian hams think of these changes? How do they impact you?

Dunno, haven't heard anything untoward.

Amateur Radio Licensing has, for many decades, been controlled by international treaties.
The international body which administers Amateur Radio is the IARU.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Amateur_Radio_Union

This, in turn, is subsidiary to  the International Telecommunications Union.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITU_Region

On a moment's reflection, an international agreement is obviously needed, as Radio signals are no respecters of borders, & the interference nightmare that would result if everybody went their own way, is almost unimaginable.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
So what's actually changed?
Any links to a TLDR; ?

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado

The first things we and even animals traded were services.

Online vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
So what's actually changed?
Any links to a TLDR; ?

I've looked at the Witeless Institute of Australia (the ham's association) website, & various other  amateur radio sites, such as WAHAMS & VKLogger, with nary a word.
Even the Amateur Radio tab on Whirlpool has nothing (& WP is usually the most likely place to see any "agin the guvvermin" aggro).

I suspect cdev is just riding his "hobbyhorse" again.

Online vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
A bit more research yields this:-
https://www.acma.gov.au/theACMA/new-approaches-to-amateur-radio-qualification-arrangements

It is apparently to do with harmonising all technical training into a consistent framework.
It seems to be a "home grown" thing, though, nothing to do with "International treaties" as far as I can see.
Oz hams already can operate in many other countries without formal permit applications .

If this was meant to be do with having interchangeable qualifications between countries, surely the priority would be to harmonise actual job type qualifications, rather than a hobby.

This has not happened---Engineers, and other Professionals have always pretty much been able to work anywhere, but Techs & other trades still cannot.

Offline Beamin

• Super Contributor
  • If you think my Boobs are big you should see my ba
Well I personally think the new changes sound good and will be for the better but as with many thing what works in practice doesn't always work out in reality. And I'm not talking stupid things like the Ubeam and other such nonsense but some times making new laws doesn't solve any problems but make them worse. It could be like Prohibition in the US in the 1920's alcohol and violence from it costs lives and productivity something had to be done so get rid of it. Yeah that didn't worse it made things worse. Could this new law create more hidden problems then it fixes? Also where did the motivation/will, ormost importantly the money come from to get it changed? Behind every law there is almost always a financial motivation. What is the motivation of this one? Is it that telecoms want more spectrum and they will disguise it as benefiting hams like giving out free digital TV converter boxes which will die in a few months, meanwhile the spectrum is lost from the people forever, and now you have to keep buying new converter boxes? So you sold it for a free box but not really because they turned you into a customer. That's no a good deal at all. Like the town in texas that gave up the rights for the shale gas under the town so every resident could get free directTV for life. In reality they could have gotten free healthcare and retired very comfortably but instead they got TV and new residents don't get free TV. That has to be the dumbest town in America. They more then likely have lead in the water. Millions in free gas for shitty TV service. That's my 0.02$
Max characters: 300; characters remaining: 191
Images in your signature must be no greater than 500x25 pixels

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf