Author Topic: Control line feed thru suggestions?  (Read 1012 times)

Offline rhbTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Control line feed thru suggestions?
« on: July 17, 2021, 08:44:55 pm »
I have a bunch of RF eval boards from China which I want to connectorize in shielded enclosures.  I don't want to spend $20 packaging a $8-15 board.

I make the enclosures from scrap 28 gauge galvanized steel scrap from a local HVAC shop.  Quarter inch copper foil tape on the seams soldered to the zinc plating provides an RF tight seal.

For power connectors I've standardized on  2.1 mm coaxial power sockets.  All Electronics has them for under $0.20 so I bought 100.  For prototyping I epoxy them to SS FR4and use copper foil on the epoxy side for pads and microstrip.  This works great for Manhattan style construction.  Even a small amount of epxoy goes a long way, so I make them up in batches  of various size boards that use up all the epoxy I've mixed.

For obvious reasons I don't want to use the same connector for control lines.  I'd like to find a cheap option for feed thrus.  Ideal would be the connectors HP used in the 8601A, but I've never seen those for sale anywhere.

Does anyone have suggestions?

Have Fun!
Reg

Offline richard.cs

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics engineer from Southampton, UK.
    • Random stuff I've built (mostly non-electronic and fairly dated).
Re: Control line feed thru suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2021, 08:59:19 am »
How about D connectors? Cheap, lots of pins, ribbon-crimp options available. Also you can get bulkhead ones with feedthrough capacitors built in which are cheaper than buying lots of individual feedthrough capacitors.

Offline rhbTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2021, 10:08:45 pm »

Offline langwadt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2021, 10:16:24 pm »
filtered d-sub 9 connector ?

Offline rhbTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2021, 02:27:48 pm »
The referenced feed thrus are what I was looking for.  I have lots of things that only  need 1-2 pins.  RF is SMA because they are cheap and convenient.

I've got a slew of DB-9s among others.  RS232 is very useful.  But doesn't really belong in an analog RF world.

Have Fun!
Reg

Offline langwadt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2021, 03:37:19 pm »
The referenced feed thrus are what I was looking for.  I have lots of things that only  need 1-2 pins.  RF is SMA because they are cheap and convenient.

I've got a slew of DB-9s among others.  RS232 is very useful.  But doesn't really belong in an analog RF world.

Have Fun!
Reg

DB-9 doesn't have to be RS232. And filtered DB's have filters like the feed-throughs just more pins so convenient when you need multiple control/power signals

Offline richard.cs

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics engineer from Southampton, UK.
    • Random stuff I've built (mostly non-electronic and fairly dated).
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2021, 03:53:55 pm »
DB-9 doesn't have to be RS232. And filtered DB's have filters like the feed-throughs just more pins so convenient when you need multiple control/power signals
More than that, they can be had with shunt capacitors just like the feedthroughs (most common), but also with series ferrites, or CLC pi filters. It's a cost effective way to get the filtering if you need more than a couple of pins.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf