Author Topic: cuba and ham  (Read 7392 times)

Online coppercone2Topic starter

• Super Contributor
  • $
Re: cuba and ham
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2021, 08:59:54 pm »
the US won't get a building in Cuba unless its in the base or in the embassy because the cuban goverment would jump on the opportunity to say anything bad about US forces there.

and if it was in the USA area someone would triangulate it, I have been playing with the websdr for a while and I did not get any transmitters even close to the naval base

not sure what the hell I am even trying to locate, randomly looking at signals I guess. There are a few mainland cuba and a few in the water cuba and the islands under it (these are dubious readings on very weak signals, I don't think their actually there)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2021, 09:04:39 pm by coppercone2 »

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2021, 10:28:45 pm »
Getting realtime, uncensored news from all around the world is what makes shortwave listening as a hobby fun and sometimes even exhilarating.

For example I learned that the PRC government was sending the tanks in before anybody else I knew because the BBC was reporting that one of their reporters was woken up in the middle of the night by tanks creeping up a back alley behind their apartment. So living just a few minutes from the PRC consulate I went there with signs and sign making material, so I could demonstrate.

Had I not been an SWL I never would have known until the next day when thousands of people turned out. As it was I was one of the first non Chinese to stand with the students here in the US I really felt strongly that it was important at that time to show solidarity with the democracy demonstrators in Beijing and speak out against the PRC government's violent crackdown on the democracy students.. here in the US. On that same day. (It was actually night in China) Despite there being a lot of Chinese in SF, my friend and i were the second and third people to show up there. Presumably because I was ahead of the news thanks to the BBC World Service.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2021, 10:36:55 pm by cdev »
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

The following users thanked this post: I wanted a rude username

Offline ahbushnell

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2021, 03:38:28 am »
;) Since I believe in Sinyce (or how to spell) not God I dont know.
But there are atleast 3 different possible thinks who could be the source:
a) Cuba Mainland
b) Guantanamo Base
c) a Vessel

In the past the US did and claim a lot of tinks who later be found out where wrong.
I didn't know that do you have good references? 

Offline Lord of nothing

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2021, 11:46:09 am »
How about the Gulf of Tonkin incident?
Or https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curveball_(informant) ?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulf_War
The story helped tip both the public and Congress towards a war with Iraq: six Congressmen said the testimony was enough for them to support military action against Iraq and seven Senators referenced the testimony in debate. The Senate supported the military actions in a 52–47 vote. However, a year after the war, this allegation was revealed to be a fabrication. The young woman who had testified was found to be a member of Kuwait's Royal Family and the daughter of Kuwait's ambassador to the US.[110] She hadn't lived in Kuwait during the Iraqi invasion.

just a quick link package for you. Well you as an American Citizen should know what your Gov. do and did.
Made in Japan, destroyed in Sulz im Wienerwald.

Offline A.Z.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2021, 12:05:51 pm »
Could we please avoid steering this on bare politics and, instead, consider the facts ? Then, by the way the old "cui prodest" rule is still totally valid, but just to find out who and why

Offline Lord of nothing

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2021, 03:31:47 pm »
consider the facts ?
But there are atleast 3 different possible thinks who could be the source:
a) Cuba Mainland
b) Guantanamo Base
c) a Vessel

Offline A.Z.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2021, 11:38:20 am »

The following users thanked this post: croma641

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2021, 02:05:19 pm »
here are some additional infos and pointers

https://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-talk/telecom/wireless/cuba-jamming-ham-radio-listen-for-yourself

This again looks to have been regurgitated from the other reports, & "dressed up a bit".

The part about 40m being the best frequency for hams in Florida to speak to Cuba, & comparing 20m is a bit "non-ham", as 75/80m should also give good coverage, at least at night.

Has anybody tried that band, & has the jamming followed them?

Something in the original report sticks in my craw, -------how they kept using the term "broadcasting", which is something outside the remit of an Amateur Radio licence, so is illegal .

OK, if you are talking to a Cuban ham who tells you about something really bad going on, but if you are setting yourself up to transmit news to all & sundry, that is definitely a "no -no".

That said, it definitely appears that the Cuban government are doing this, which is, as I said before, a ridulous overreaction, if directed at hams.

Alternatively, it could be, as Bud pointed out, aimed at broadcasters who share the band with hams.

Jamming of HF broadcasters who present a different point of view is pretty much standard practice amongst some countries

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2021, 09:03:18 pm »
I saw a few unharassed transmissions near 7.1 MHz florida but the problem is, you can have screened jammers, i.e. jamming only starts when the transmission is deemed to be 'irresponsible', anti patriotic, etc. It might even go through some kind of judge/tribunal/trial etc (a rapid one), to make some attempt at following internal bureaucracy

Half of their game is gathering intelligence on people because you can only get away with jamming someone for so long.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2021, 01:34:49 am »
I saw a few unharassed transmissions near 7.1 MHz florida but the problem is, you can have screened jammers, i.e. jamming only starts when the transmission is deemed to be 'irresponsible', anti patriotic, etc. It might even go through some kind of judge/tribunal/trial etc (a rapid one), to make some attempt at following internal bureaucracy

Half of their game is gathering intelligence on people because you can only get away with jamming someone for so long.

Cuba has been "hands-off" on hams for a very long time, so it is a pretty profound move to start jamming them now.
HF SSB is hardly a "mass audience" mode, as most people, even if they do have multi band receivers can't resolve SSB, so the likelihood of many people hearing "irresponsible" or "unpatriotic" speech is miniscule.

Obviously, the Cuban authorities cannot shut down amateur transmissions from other countries, so the most likely justification would be to block those.

The point about receiver capabilities still applies, however.

If the Cuban ham licencing regulations are similar to most countries, they don't have to have any tribunal, etc.
If hams are deemed to be breaking regulations in some way, they can be shut down, although with the right of appeal.(The authorities can just delay these, pleading overwork)
Or, as I pointed out, just temporarily close the whole Amateur Service.

Of course, for those who really wish the regime ill & are plotting against it, this will have zero effect, as they will just operate illegally, & as they are unknown, unlike Amateurs, with impunity.

Offline A.Z.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2021, 06:42:01 am »
Obviously, the Cuban authorities cannot shut down amateur transmissions from other countries
[...]
If hams are deemed to be breaking regulations in some way, they can be shut down

That's the point, from what I gathered from a number of sources there are some Cuban expats (OUTSIDE Cuba, that is) which use ham gear on the 40m band to transmit news to Cuba, yes, that's illegal in any country, but "pirates" existed and exist; now, on the Cuban side ANYONE (not just Hams) with a receiver covering the 40m band could be able to receive those transmissions, so the only way Cubans have to attempt "censoring" those is to setup listening posts and whenever one of those transmissions appears, start a "jammer" on that frequency, by the way since the "jammer" uses quite a bunch of power, the result is disturbing or even disrupting communications for a wide area of the world :P

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2021, 12:03:07 pm »
Obviously, the Cuban authorities cannot shut down amateur transmissions from other countries
[...]
If hams are deemed to be breaking regulations in some way, they can be shut down

That's the point, from what I gathered from a number of sources there are some Cuban expats (OUTSIDE Cuba, that is) which use ham gear on the 40m band to transmit news to Cuba, yes, that's illegal in any country, but "pirates" existed and exist; now, on the Cuban side ANYONE (not just Hams) with a receiver covering the 40m band could be able to receive those transmissions, so the only way Cubans have to attempt "censoring" those is to setup listening posts and whenever one of those transmissions appears, start a "jammer" on that frequency, by the way since the "jammer" uses quite a bunch of power, the result is disturbing or even disrupting communications for a wide area of the world :P

I made the point that many people these days don't have anything which will receive HF, & even in the case of the minority who do, most domestic radios won't resolve SSB. (The expats could use AM, I suppose.)

Maybe Cuba is more "retro", but I doubt it.

Obviously, SWLs will have the capability, either owning commercially made communications receivers, or being capable of homebrewing receivers, even simple regenerative sets, but they are fairly "thin on  the ground".

Offline A.Z.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2021, 12:46:43 pm »
Obviously, SWLs will have the capability, either owning commercially made communications receivers, or being capable of homebrewing receivers, even simple regenerative sets, but they are fairly "thin on  the ground".

Remember that we're talking about Cuba, an "embargoed" country and that "the revolution" brought to people the idea that having at least a receiver would allow them to hear news... at least at the time; also, I still remember building external BFOs for old radios (tube ones included) or building simple regen receivers which, with the help of a piece of wire stuck between some trees brought the world at my touch, so I believe that there may be (and probably are) much more listeners in Cuba than we may imagine, and that makes the "jamming" choice a "logical" (ok, not for me) one

The following users thanked this post: croma641

Offline ahbushnell

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2021, 04:43:59 pm »
I went on the SDR network mentioned in the IEEE Spectrum article.  I listened at a Key West station and one in mid Florida and in San Diego at 14.074MHz and at 18.100 MHz which I have been using for FT8 digital work out of San Diego.  There is much more noise all over the band in Florida and more so in the south.  On the waterfall it looks like the signals maybe scanning across frequencies.  I could barely hear the digital tones in mid Florida on the SDR and not at all in Key West.  In San Diego no problem. 

Offline iMo

• Super Contributor
  • It's important to try new things..
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2021, 05:19:47 pm »
Simply go to
http://www.websdr.org/
and the web sdr stations
http://hp-sdr.ddns.net:8091/
http://sdr.n4but.com/
will show you what is going on on the 40m band in Caribbean, in real-time..
« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 05:29:00 pm by imo »

Offline Lord of nothing

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2021, 08:37:18 pm »
 :-[ is there an SDR who use Port 80 or 443?
Thanks

Offline ahbushnell

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2021, 01:42:42 am »
I have been watching for contacts from Cuba.  I'm on the west coast and working FT-8 mainly on 20 m.  Recently I started seeing contacts from Cuba and managed to close the loop. 

Are they still jamming? 

Andy

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2021, 04:53:22 pm »
I want to know about Afgan ham radio with everything thats going on

Offline A.Z.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2021, 05:00:05 pm »
I want to know about Afgan ham radio with everything thats going on

I think the best bets could be Turkish and other surrounding countries hams

The following users thanked this post: coppercone2

Offline Lord of nothing

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2021, 05:07:00 pm »
Or better call the NSA, CIA, DEA,... Office who lead the IS, Taliban Groups.

Offline A.Z.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2021, 05:22:42 pm »
Or better call the NSA, CIA, DEA,... Office who lead the IS, Taliban Groups.

good idea

now if I could rember where I put that darn phone number...

The following users thanked this post: Lord of nothing

Offline Lord of nothing

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2021, 05:25:12 pm »
 ;D Dont worry the have all your Private Data include your Phone Number.  :-DD
Just pick up your Phone and say you want talk with an NSA, CIA,... Officer.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2021, 01:18:58 am »
The cuban numbers stations broadcast a coded message of some kind after the numbers. Its a very strong signal wise on the US east coast, strong enough to splatter like crazy.. This is a screnshot of the waterfall image of this encoded section. Does anybody know what we're looking at here? As I said its very strong.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2021, 01:21:25 am by cdev »
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline Kerlin

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2021, 02:50:28 am »
Been watching this for a while and as a Ham I have a comment.
Con them into talking.
If you suspect jamming to ham bands don't ignore them, a lot of jammers do so because they feel left out. Also a comment that you can hear their jamming is the only confirmation they can get that their RF experiments are successful and they are making the trip.
Call them in and let then let them in on QSOs. Then use it as a chance to to provide evidence of what is really going on in the world and what is wrong with their systems. Should be easy. Let them know how good things are at your Q.D.H.
See if they go QRT or are put off air then.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2021, 03:08:25 am by Kerlin »
Do you know what the thread is about and are Comprehending what has been said ?

Offline iMo

• Super Contributor
  • It's important to try new things..
« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2021, 08:24:41 pm »
14.377 is off the 20m ham band..
Cuba number station:
https://priyom.org/number-stations/digital/hm01
« Last Edit: August 25, 2021, 08:41:17 pm by imo »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf