Author Topic: Lab Have new member just come  (Read 1849 times)

Offline ebclrTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Lab Have new member just come
« on: September 20, 2016, 02:40:24 pm »
What are the useful accessories to buy

The following users thanked this post: AF6LJ

Offline LaserSteve

• Super Contributor
Re: Lab Have new member just come
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 03:46:40 pm »
Many 3 and 10 dB Attenuators, I keep a 3 DB on my SA as a form of cheap protection at all times. 

A few  TTL  crystal clock oscillators to make harmonics for sanity checks.  1.0, 3.3, 5.0, and 10 Mhz are typical, unless you have the tracking generator, in which case you probably don't need the harmonics.

I find a 50 ohm load  to be useful for determining if that weak spike is a spur or a actual signal, by shorting the input with the load.  Also pays to have 50 Ohm dummy loads if working with higher power or transmitters.

A directional coupler (better yet a pair of them ) for the region of interest.

A near field probe for the region of interest, can be home made.

A 6" / 15 Cm collapsible  whip antenna.

As many as you can afford GOOD QUALITY  Adapters between BNC/SMA/N for versatility.  You'll find BNC cables much more fun to use then N cables unless your in a professional lab. Avoid adapters with internal coil springs, such as some low cost  BNC "Tees".

Lots of high quality short cables with various SMA, BNC, and N connectors.... Short cables are usually a better idea then using a lot of adapters.

A few WA5VJB Log Periodic Antennas across the spectrum  if you want to hunt signals in the far field.

If you don't have a tracking generator, a PTS160 or PTS250 synthesizer with the front panel knobs is a blessing and cheap.  If you have time to make a set of switches, a PTS160 without the knobs goes for cheap, using the rear panel programming.

On my buy soon list is one of these:

http://www.hsmicrowave.com/CMG.html

Steve

« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 03:51:47 pm by LaserSteve »
"What the devil kind of Engineer are thou, that canst not slay a hedgehog with your naked arse?"

The following users thanked this post: ebclr

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 03:50:24 pm »
Sacrificial N-type connectors/adaptors semi-permanently attached to the SA, to save the SA's connectors from wear.

If DC on the input is prohibited, a DC block.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: ebclr

Offline LaserSteve

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 05:17:52 pm »
If your into lasers, microwave, RF preamps, a Bias Tee and or a DC block is darn useful, but you should get some practice in first.

Steve
"What the devil kind of Engineer are thou, that canst not slay a hedgehog with your naked arse?"

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf