Author Topic: Purchasing HP 432A (was: eBay HP 478A thermistors. Any good?)  (Read 4801 times)

Offline Tony_G

• Frequent Contributor
  • Checkout my old test gear channel (link in sig)
    • TGSoapbox
Re: eBay HP 478A thermistors. Any good?
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2024, 07:18:43 pm »
I did catch some 432 models have a sticker warning they are prepared for different, longer cables, and cable long must match what the sticker says for it to work OK. Mentioning it here, just in case.

There is a modification you can make to the meter to support a longer cable than normal. It's covered in the manual and can be reversed

TonyG
« Last Edit: March 20, 2024, 08:20:50 pm by Tony_G »

Offline tatelTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Purchasing HP 432A (was: eBay HP 478A thermistors. Any good?)
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2024, 12:42:10 am »
...the probability of some guy being here, having both 431 and 432, is probably next to zero.

I've also got a 431C power meter and two 432A power meters and two 478A sensors.  One of the 432A power meters is as new and unused and has the original HP seals and stickers on it. The 478A sensor is still factory (vacuum) sealed in its packaging and so is the sensor cable and the manuals. It's never been unpacked and used. It must have been stored from new and forgotten about. :)

You just achieved with me what Pavlov achieved with those dogs...

Online G0HZU

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2024, 05:57:06 pm »
...the probability of some guy being here, having both 431 and 432, is probably next to zero.

I've also got a 431C power meter and two 432A power meters and two 478A sensors.  One of the 432A power meters is as new and unused and has the original HP seals and stickers on it. The 478A sensor is still factory (vacuum) sealed in its packaging and so is the sensor cable and the manuals. It's never been unpacked and used. It must have been stored from new and forgotten about. :)

You just achieved with me what Pavlov achieved with those dogs...
The unused 432A really does look like it's been in a time capsule as it is totally unmarked and as new. The gold contacts on the connectors look like brand new jewelry. The other 432A is fairly immaculate, but the unused one is really special, like it just left the factory yesterday.

Every year or so I use the other 432A + 478A to check the 50MHz 1mW source from my power meter using DC substitution. I've done this for quite a few years now. I can show you how I do it when you get your 432A up and running. I follow the factory instructions and created a spreadsheet to do the calculations.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2024, 06:47:36 pm »
Every year or so I use the other 432A + 478A to check the 50MHz 1mW source from my power meter using DC substitution. I've done this for quite a few years now. I can show you how I do it when you get your 432A up and running. I follow the factory instructions and created a spreadsheet to do the calculations.

I gladly take your offer.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2024, 10:54:47 pm »
I got the new cable and am able to coarse/fine zero, so I guess that's good.

Now I need to go to the other home where my gear is.

Thank you all

Offline Tony_G

• Frequent Contributor
    • TGSoapbox
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2024, 02:10:25 pm »
Nice to hear - Good luck with your use.

TonyG

Offline tverbeure

• Regular Contributor
    • tomverbeure.github.io
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2024, 12:16:44 am »
This is for sale locally on Craigs List.  Though I have two 438a, I think that is the number, dual channel power meters, plus a module in my MMS, I've not run into the thermistor mount as he calls it, on this model.
This is the second 432A that this seller put on craigslist. I bought the first one. :)

If you're thinking about buying that one: go for it. He's a retired HP engineer who's downsizing his extensive home lab. I've bought a lot of gear from him. He always thoroughly tests things before he sells them.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/ele/d/los-altos-hp-432a-microwave-power-meter/7718776347.html

Offline TimYTTT

« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2024, 03:40:49 pm »
G0HZU, could you please provide more info on how you use the 432A + 478A to check the 50MHz 1mW source using DC substitution. I do have similar needs and can probably benefit from your experiences.  :)

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2024, 12:31:15 am »
From https://xdevs.com/doc/HP_Agilent_Keysight/HP%20478A-H75%20Operating%20&%20Service.pdf I get there's a way to check if 478A is really in good order.

If I'm getting it right, one should make a circuit so:

a) pins 2, 4 and 6 of thermistor mount get connected to ground

b) a power supply giving 29 DC volts is put in series with a 2200R resistor

c) after the 2200 ohm resistor, a battery is placed against the voltage coming from the power supply, I guess it's to lower the 29V so the suggested DVM (HP3440) is able to get in a range where it can resolve 1 mW 1 mV

d) ground of that DMM is connected to power supply ground, like pins 2,4 and 6 of thermistor mount are, completing the circuit.

e) probing for milivolts against pins 1 and 3 of thermistor mount in some kind of voltage divider, connected between  resistor and bucking battery, should then show less than 30 mV difference. Otherwise thermistor mount isn't good. If that difference gets up to 150 mV, thermistor mount can't even be repaired.

Now my questions:

1) Is it worth the hassle if thermistor mount is able to be coarse/fine zeroed? I guess probably not.

2) I guess that 2200 resistor is there to limit current/voltage. So having a good modern power supply with CV/CC, one wouldn't need that resistor, provided the power supply is set to the correct V and I output --- or is it there to make sure there aren't any peaks able to damage thermistors?

3) Having not a 3440, but a 3456 6-1/2 digit DVM, surely that bucking battery wouldn't be really needed anymore?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2024, 04:33:07 am by tatel »

Offline Tony_G

• Frequent Contributor
    • TGSoapbox
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2024, 01:04:31 am »
Up front I have not tried what you are showing so my "guesses" may be way off - Before you go slamming V/I through the 478A I'd wait to get a consensus or commentary from someone who has done this.

c) after the 2200 ohm resistor, a battery is placed against the voltage coming from the power supply, I guess it's to lower the 29V so the suggested DVM (HP3440) is able to get in a range where it can resolve 1 mW

The battery was chosen to achieve a 1mV meter resolution - From the manual:

The value of this bucking voltage should be such that voltmeter resolution down to 0.001 volt is obtained.

Now onto your questions...

1) Is it worth the hassle if thermistor mount is able to be coarse/fine zeroed? I guess probably not.

2) I guess that 2200 resistor is there to limit current/voltage. So having a good modern power supply with CV/CC, one wouldn't need that resistor, provided the power supply is set to the correct V and I output --- or is it there to make sure there aren't any peaks able to damage thermistors?

3) Having not a 3040, but a 3456 6-1/2 digit DVM, surely that bucking battery wouldn't be really needed anymore?

#1 - No, if the mount zeros then it is pretty much working - TBH I've never seen one of these where it is working but 'almost failing', it seems that this is possible and may have been more common once given that the manual provides an explicit procedure to take to address but I think it is a pretty low chance case - YMMV as will others

#2 - +29V seems to be one of those numbers that are oddly specific - I would not be surprised to find out that the thermistors need to be seeing a certain amount of voltage/current so that the compensating thermistors react correctly to what would be expected from the thermistors exposed to the RF field. I would love it if someone had the real explanation for this and could share with us.

#3 - Most likely not given what the manual was saying earlier but you will still need to ensure that the V/I through the 478A is within spec - You could certainly math that from the manual but if the 478A was working then I lean towards this being a bit dodgy.

Sorry I couldn't provide more clarity - Interested in seeing what more experienced members say.

TonyG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2024, 01:50:09 am »
Up front I have not tried what you are showing so my "guesses" may be way off - Before you go slamming V/I through the 478A I'd wait to get a consensus or commentary from someone who has done this.

Yep, I 100% agree with that

The battery was chosen to achieve a 1mV meter resolution - From the manual:

The value of this bucking voltage should be such that voltmeter resolution down to 0.001 volt is obtained.

Oops... typo. Yeah, 1 mV. Will edit my previous post

#1 - No, if the mount zeros then it is pretty much working - TBH I've never seen one of these where it is working but 'almost failing', it seems that this is possible and may have been more common once given that the manual provides an explicit procedure to take to address but I think it is a pretty low chance case - YMMV as will others

#2 - +29V seems to be one of those numbers that are oddly specific - I would not be surprised to find out that the thermistors need to be seeing a certain amount of voltage/current so that the compensating thermistors react correctly to what would be expected from the thermistors exposed to the RF field. I would love it if someone had the real explanation for this and could share with us.

#3 - Most likely not given what the manual was saying earlier but you will still need to ensure that the V/I through the 478A is within spec - You could certainly math that from the manual but if the 478A was working then I lean towards this being a bit dodgy.

Sorry I couldn't provide more clarity - Interested in seeing what more experienced members say.

Yep, again I agree... If it doesn't look broken don't touch it. Still interested in knowing more about that, this knowledge could be useful some day to any people looking at 478A.

Online G0HZU

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2024, 08:27:16 pm »
G0HZU, could you please provide more info on how you use the 432A + 478A to check the 50MHz 1mW source using DC substitution. I do have similar needs and can probably benefit from your experiences.  :)

Sorry for any delay, sadly, I've been unwell recently but I'm a bit better now. I've had a go at putting the procedure into a word doc and it's probably best posted in the Metrology section. However, I've attached the first draft below.

It's been written in a hurry so it might not read that well....
« Last Edit: April 06, 2024, 07:36:47 pm by G0HZU »

The following users thanked this post: tatel

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2024, 07:23:42 pm »
Yeah, it seems to be for 431.

Well, it seems I found the limits of the forum. Of course, the probability of some guy being here, having both 431 and 432, is probably next to zero. I have never seen the slightest mention of cables for 431 and 432 being different. So, here it remains this piece of information. Hope it will useful for somebody in the future.

I already ordered another cable, this one no only has the notch, but also has golden pins |O

Best wishes

The difference in the cables might have something to do with the later 8478B thermistor mount (first seen in 1968 catalog), it requires an adaptor to use with the older 431A/B (thermistor is unbalanced), but can be used directly with the 431C & 432A.

There is even an adaptor for the 430C to allow use of the higher frequency waveguide mounts, thermistor is unbalanced and there is no temperature compensation.

Apparently I have a 431C in storage, I also have several 430C, several 432A and one 432B & 432C, these last two both use a digital panel meter, in place on the analog panel meter. I might have a TEA problem.  :-DD

The 432 series may contain two Sprague 109D capacitors (or equivalent) one at 33uF 10V/15V* & one at 220uF 8V, these are wet tantalum and can leak corrosive sulphuric acid electrolyte, picture below is from my 1969 432A.
*voltage seems to vary depending on the age of the meter.

David
« Last Edit: April 18, 2024, 07:31:12 pm by factory »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf